Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Do note that HDB will perform numerous inspections before the units are handed over. Not to mention that checks would have been performed during and after construction to make sure that the construction is according to plans. So chances that there is so much deviation of the size/dimensions is unlikely to happen. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks Ryanyth for your kind words. I had wanted the stove and sink to be in a row. Looks like cannot. Otherwise, the stove will be too close to living room. Also sequence wise, sink shd b on the left of the stove. Uploaded a pic for all to see. 

IMG_20191225_121811.jpg

Hello @Xiaoyang!

Being curious where is your new home located, type 1 or 2?

Actually, I face the same problem. I had planned to place sink and stove on the same side, washing machine (WM) on the opposite but for my case the drainage for sink and WM are all on the right side of the kitchen. After checking with my ID, although drainage piping can be routed to the other side but it will be ugly and troublesome. So I forgo my previous plan, now my sink and WM will be on the same side while stove will have to be on the opposite. 

Airing my thoughts about squarish kitchen. Most of the earlier layouts have rectangular kitchen allowing only one row of cabinets. One can kind of guess where the drainage pipes for sink and WM will be located. 

For squarish kitchen, there are 2 rows of cabinets, you won't know which side will hdb designate the drainage pipes. 

Now that I look back, I think the Sample Layout Ideas in hdb sales brochure gives a good hint where the drainage pipes for sink and WM are located. 

Otherwise, the flat interior photos released during hdb roadshow for your new home will give a concrete answer as to where are the drainage pipes. 

I saw the roadshow pics from HDB website dedicated for roadshows and noticed the positioning but I just brush aside without giving much thoughts until I went to my unit, and then I realise the designated positioning of drainage pipes by hdb will jeopardise my kitchen layout plan! ??

Like what Ryanyth mentioned changes are common, thus got to learn to keep an open mind when dealing with home planning and renovation?

Edited by Cranberries

Hi @Cranberries,

I m at East Creek, type 2. Missed all the HDB hints on the drainage piping too. After thinking hard these few days. I have come to accept the sink and the stove on opp side. ?

So one side will be fridge, sink n wm, no wall cabinet. I think this may look a little strange, not align, but there will be little restriction on the type of fridge and wm and replacement in future. The other side will b base cabinet with stove and wall cabinet. 

I m now troubled by the laundry rack. It takes up too much space for such a small kitchen. M considering repositioning it immediately parallel to the window. Wonder if it is possible. Whether it is safe to do so. The screws look like they r partially embedded in the ceiling. 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, Cranberries said:

Now that I look back, I think the Sample Layout Ideas in hdb sales brochure gives a good hint where the drainage pipes for sink and WM are located. 

Yes, the sample layout is important as it gives you an idea the positioning.

8 hours ago, Xiaoyang said:

I m now troubled by the laundry rack. It takes up too much space for such a small kitchen. M considering repositioning it immediately parallel to the window. Wonder if it is possible. Whether it is safe to do so. The screws look like they r partially embedded in the ceiling. 

Yes the screws are long and partially screwed into the ceiling. 

I removed my rack and contractor had to cut away the protruding part of the screw and then patch up to smoothen the ceiling surface.

I just heard one 2 roomer selling his rack at $100+.

13 hours ago, Xiaoyang said:

Hi @Cranberries,

I m at East Creek, type 2. Missed all the HDB hints on the drainage piping too. After thinking hard these few days. I have come to accept the sink and the stove on opp side. ?

So one side will be fridge, sink n wm, no wall cabinet. I think this may look a little strange, not align, but there will be little restriction on the type of fridge and wm and replacement in future. The other side will b base cabinet with stove and wall cabinet. 

Hello @Xiaoyang!

I am at Eastcreek too. 

I also felt that the laundry rack is very big for the kitchen and the position is inconvenient. 

Interestingly I am also considering to position the rack parallel to the window. But the hdb laundry rack may be too long for parallel position, I intend to remove it and install a smaller sized electronic laundry rack parallel to window. 

Edited by Cranberries

4 hours ago, mmoh said:

Yes, the sample layout is important as it gives you an idea the positioning.

Yes the screws are long and partially screwed into the ceiling. 

I removed my rack and contractor had to cut away the protruding part of the screw and then patch up to smoothen the ceiling surface.

I just heard one 2 roomer selling his rack at $100+.

Hello @mmoh!

I never thought that the sample layout idea provided by hdb is important, now I know ??

Oh, the rack can fetch $100+, mmm now I have an idea how much the rack can worth. 

Thanks @mmoh for the info on taking down the laundry rack. Sounds like a lot of work to take it down and relocate it. Found a very similar design of this rack on lazada, cost over 500 bucks. Feels like throwing away money if I don't want the rack. 

Hi  @Cranberries,

Nice meeting u neighbour?. I wonder if there is any vendor willing to do a trade-in for the laundry rack. 

Hello neighbour @Xiaoyang!

Hmm, also hoping to find ways to dispose/trade the rack for good returns ?

The electronic rack I intend to purchase does provide trade in for $20.

I shall see how, maybe I'll check with my ID to see if he has "lobang" ?

my laundry rack is horizontal/parallel to the windows.   I read somewhere that it's quite flimsy and not recommended to keep pulling it down and up?   If I can keep it up and it doesn't block me from installing wall cabinets, i guess i'm happy to keep it.  From the floor plan it looks like it will block though :(  Really, i want to tear my hair out at HDB's design for 2 room flats, especially the kitchen! :(

On 12/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, Xiaoyang said:

Thanks Ryanyth for your kind words. I had wanted the stove and sink to be in a row. Looks like cannot. Otherwise, the stove will be too close to living room. Also sequence wise, sink shd b on the left of the stove. Uploaded a pic for all to see. 

IMG_20191225_121811.jpg

Nice kitchen layout,looks spacious.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:13 PM, mytinybto said:

my laundry rack is horizontal/parallel to the windows.   I read somewhere that it's quite flimsy and not recommended to keep pulling it down and up?   If I can keep it up and it doesn't block me from installing wall cabinets, i guess i'm happy to keep it.  From the floor plan it looks like it will block though :(  Really, i want to tear my hair out at HDB's design for 2 room flats, especially the kitchen! :(

It won't block the wall cabinet but I think my head will b brushing against the clothes hang on it when I move abt in the kitchen. 

For those who've successfully removed their laundry racks, can share the contacts of the Contractors and costs? Thanks 

Edited by Humhum

On 11/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, Cranberries said:

Hello to all members here! 

I have been following this forum for 2 years. This is my very first post. 

Expecting my keys this Dec/Jan. 

Type 2, 47sqm

@studioflatter: Really sorry to hear your horrifying reno experience. Hopefully, everything unpleasant will be over and done with and you can settle down nicely in your new home.

@CaseBlue: I plan to put up insect screen too. Could you share your experience in sourcing for the suitable service provider for insect screen? Thanks in advance! 

Edited by daztan89
double post

Hi fellow 2 roomers 

here are some the pictures reno done by Design 4 Space ID

more coming soon for the kitchen & bathroom.

final2.jpg.850ec70f276fc45fe2c1902b20b4b0a0.jpg

1239864267_thumbnail(3).jpg.9b8e68db6198105e1ad3ab8205e0fe28.jpg

final.jpg

toilet.jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg

Edited by diraf

• Like 3