Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 9/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Did you opt in on the OCS? I didn't so, everything for the floor, was from scratch.

I want my floor cold cold. That's why i didn't go for Vinyl Flooring.   

Just checked out the Marble Vinyl. Looks quite good!

I am planning to opt out everything. And mostly I'll be going for Minimalist design with wood alike vinyl. But at the same time I also interested in your title now.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
10 hours ago, Kenny Choo said:

I am planning to opt out everything. And mostly I'll be going for Minimalist design with wood alike vinyl. But at the same time I also interested in your title now.

Do note that if you opt out of the OCS flooring, the floor for the master bedroom and living area will come unfinished and rough. You will have to pay your contractors to perform the cement screeding ($$$), as HDB no longer provides free screeding services. OCS option is cheaper I think (?) if you are happy with the tiles they are using.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:40 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Thanks! :) The floor tiles is actually homogeneous tiles, not marble. 

The bedroom/living room flooring is around $3,400.

I specifically requested this big big tile (600mmX600mm) and this design.

There are a few choices but I selected this one cos it's neither too plain nor has too much "veins".

Does that price tag include the cement screeding? Need to do my budgeting. Btw, how much does hacking the bedroom/living room wall cost?

Edited by apperceive

11 hours ago, apperceive said:

Do note that if you opt out of the OCS flooring, the floor for the master bedroom and living area will come unfinished and rough. You will have to pay your contractors to perform the cement screeding ($$$), as HDB no longer provides free screeding services. OCS option is cheaper I think (?) if you are happy with the tiles they are using.

Does that price tag include the cement screeding? Need to do my budgeting. Btw, how much does hacking the bedroom/living room wall cost?

It's true if you opt in OCS ,it will save you money ( can pay using yr CPF too).Then, you can just overlay with the tiles you like.

At that point of time, all I know is, I want to take away the wall. Thought it will be more straight forward to have a clean unfinished floor to start off with.

$3,400 bao ga liao. :D  (includes all)

The hacking of the wall cost me about $600.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, apperceive said:

Ya, I know about this. I heard for 2-room someone did it about $500-600?

Is this the correct way of thinking? Cause I don't want to end up title popping up if I overlay it with vinyl. 

Hi Everyone,

When your renovation is done and finally you can move in,  other than choosing an auspicious day, did you do any other 'special rituals' on that day? :D

Hi guys, this would prob be my first post. Excited to share that I’ve chosen my unit recently for the Canberra Vista. Sharing my idea for the layout that I would prob be doing. Just a rough idea..

BAE93784-A67A-47AC-9B27-D5A9DD07E349.jpeg

On 9/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Hi Everyone,

When your renovation is done and finally you can move in,  other than choosing an auspicious day, did you do any other 'special rituals' on that day? :D

I do nothing, Didn't even pick a day. LOL! but that is just me.

3 hours ago, deltor71 said:

Hi guys, this would prob be my first post. Excited to share that I’ve chosen my unit recently for the Canberra Vista. Sharing my idea for the layout that I would prob be doing. Just a rough idea..

you got the new layout with additional room!

Since you are not using that room as a room, do you want to consider hacking the wall and make your bedroom bigger and more spacious?

In the kitchen, in between the island and window, suggest you extend cabinet or low shelve there cos it is useful to have counter top space, make sure there is electricity supply too.

Personally, I don't like the bed headboard right beside the window. I would arrange the bed in the other direction. head of the left and foot on the right. Also troublesome to open close windows.

my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I agree with mmoh on all the points she mentioned. The problem with the original HDB layout is that the walkway to the window side of the bed looks rather narrow. The other problem is that the TV and sofa distance may be too near for comfort. To visualize that space better, imagine having a coffee table in between. Also, do you need such a big entrance to the bedroom? I suspect they made the entrance so wide so they could disguise the fact that you will need to "crabwalk" across to the window side.

Do note the glare of computer screen reflecting light from the opposite windows if you are intending to use the laptop in the day time, in your planned layout.

With the TV console/island layout as you've suggested, it may not be possible to have a sliding door to the kitchen to seal in the aircon/ keep out the kitchen fumes (if you plan on heavy cooking). Your layout also leaves a lot of unutilized space at the centre of the flat.

-----------

Personally, If I could hack the walls, I would rearrange the space as per the pic below (but with sofa and tv positions interchanged):

a) hack the wall between bedroom and study. Shift the bedroom and wardrobe away from the window.

b) move the study table to line up against the bedroom window. You can't create a partition for the study area now, else your bedroom has no windows! (Do note if you are sharing bedroom with your partner, it might be a little tricky to have the study desk lights on and some one sleeping in the same room)

c) With that, you do not need to be concerned about how wide your bed can be. If your bed frame is long you can choose to erect the wall and door further outwards into the living room space. So your choice/size of bed frame should not be constrained. You need to decide where the bedroom doors should be positioned.

d) Likewise, you can also shift the wall between the study and TV area into the study area, so you can have a greater TV to sofa distance. Switch the position of the TV and sofa, and you can have a longer sofa. Maybe a L shape sectional.

e) Perhaps have your dining table at that rectangular corner formed by the bomb shelter opened door and fridge. When not entertaining guests, flush the table against the wall. When you have guests, reposition the table so that it is parallel to the windows and further upwards in the direction of the TV area, yet not blocking the entryway to the living room/ bedroom. Hopefully you can find a placement where you can avoid the "toilet view".

Of couse, it all depends on which walls you are allowed to hack. Have fun with the planning and congrats on the BTO selection!

2060166826_cranberraedit1.png.ca4260e4ae3a7e3334ad80f3844895c8.png

18 hours ago, deltor71 said:

Hi deltor I would suggest having a dedicated study in place of the walk-in-wardrobe so that your computer screen doesn't get glare from the bedroom window. This may not matter if you don't expect to use the study table for much computer work though.

The integrated console and peninsula is a good way to have a small space-saving dining space that can also function as countertop space.

Since this is an open concept kitchen I would suggest thinking about placing an air purifier in the living room (unless you don't cook at all or don't cook much).

Thank you all for the suggestions!! These are great suggestions to being with. I'll definitely look into them where it suits my lifestyle.

I'm going to live in the unit by myself, and I don't cook at all. I'm still burning my brain cells away how to better utilise the "kitchen" area. All I need is a hot water kettle, fridge and a microwave oven. I spend most of my time at my office, and at many times away from Singapore. So kinda looking at a "Hotel-ish" concept. I like the idea of hacking off the walls, but considering selling it in future I would incline to keeping it. (thou looking at the wall makes me Pek Chek) PS: that's my consideration for now, however I might change later... who knows. haha

I don't plan to have a sofa thou.. Im prob looking at having bean bags or even sitting mats. Maybe a Osim massage chair would be nice, if budget allows. heheh.. 

So guys!! keep the idea coming!! the more the merrier!!! 

PS: Thank you apperceive and hdb4ever for your suggestions!!

@deltor71 Congrats!!

I remembered 5 years ago, I was also super excited after choosing my unit at Northshore Residence.  :)

Like you said,  when you planned your new home space living, go along with your lifestyle.

For me, other than my bedroom, the 'centerpiece'/'main story' is my study table. My friend, whom just selected her unit in Punggol Point, her 'centerpiece' is a big dining table! 

Your design will change as the years go by. My current flat design/color theme is very different from the ones I started out with 5 years ago. (The only thing that is constant is the wall must go away! :D )

You have plans to go for ID consultations?

It’s been a good 2-3 days thinking thru some of your comments.. made some adjustments.

Note: the white dots is a projector screen, which acts as a “curtain” to the bedroom. I opt not to have the HDB sliding door. Obviously the “P” is the placement of the projector and “F” would be a waist or chest height fridge. Not planning to cook therefore no plan to have a huge fridge. The “island” will be movable. So when guest come over, I can push it forward or what not to accommodate more people. That also allows me to have a breakfast counter, and additional “prep” space if I’m cooking... and that’s a big IF... hahaha and that single chair... I’m still hoping that Singapore Pools would donate a Osim chair to me... being very hopeful.. 

1E3F44D3-B2F5-41C9-887D-67426F83D411.jpeg

2 hours ago, deltor71 said:

It’s been a good 2-3 days thinking thru some of your comments.. made some adjustments.

Note: the white dots is a projector screen, which acts as a “curtain” to the bedroom. I opt not to have the HDB sliding door. Obviously the “P” is the placement of the projector and “F” would be a waist or chest height fridge. Not planning to cook therefore no plan to have a huge fridge. The “island” will be movable. So when guest come over, I can push it forward or what not to accommodate more people. That also allows me to have a breakfast counter, and additional “prep” space if I’m cooking... and that’s a big IF... hahaha and that single chair... I’m still hoping that Singapore Pools would donate a Osim chair to me... being very hopeful.. 

It seems to me that you would like to retain the walls as much as possible (no hacking). To be frank, I'm not sure if you gained much from your furniture placement for the bed, wardrobe and study table, other than having a slightly longer wardrobe and having your study desk in your room (which may not be good for sleep hygiene). You "lost" 2 bedside desks from the original HDB suggested layout as well.

Back to your layout, I would probably push the bed against the wall and have a bedside desk. That way, you wouldn't need to squeeze through the gap between the corner of the bed and the wall to get to the study area. That long study table could be bookended by shelves/storage (Look at Joywalker's photos -- I think she has her wonderfully executed study desk by the window). Do note that if you have high shelves on the right side of the table, it could block your window. A long table will also need to be supported in the middle with legs, to prevent sagging. Since you have no space constraints, you could make the study table 60 or 70cm deep.

For your proposed fridge location, I suspect it is also where you have the HDB supplied retractable laundry rack. And if you intend to make use of that, you would either have to make do with a lower fridge or get a chair to climb up and hang your clothes (but the usable length of the rack is reduced).

I like your idea of the island. You might perhaps consider moving it further out into the living room and extending your kitchen counter into where the fridge was suggested to be located.  With no fridge there, your kitchen will be more open too. There should be a bigger gap (your food preparation space) between the sink and the cooking hob. If you extend the counter space, you could possibly relocate the hob to the other wall.

I notice that you put a blue box outside your bomb shelter. Are you intending to build storage and hide the bomb shelter entrance? Not sure if you would get much storage out of there because it is limited by depth. Perhaps build more storage at your proposed wardrobe area by extending it or build shoe storage at the corner behind the main entrance small leaflet door.

Edited by apperceive
spelling

On 3/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, Xiaoyang said:

Finally got a contractor willing to move my laundry rack. My ID d not want to do it. 

IMG_20200314_171314.jpg

Luckily ,I got my ID to do it.I agree some ID dont do certain requests.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:05 PM, Xiaoyang said:

My reno is completed. Only did kitchen, painting n other small fixtures. 

IMG_20200815_172712.jpg

IMG_20200815_172814.jpg

So spacious kitchen! love the wood grain style design on floors.