Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
23 hours ago, ee11ee said:

hi, the renovation of your home looks great.

can you share your ID? thanks

Err.. @ee11ee can I assume you are asking me?  :D 

Please PM me so I can share you the ID details.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, Chris Jackson said:

do they have website?

They do.  :)

But every time when I tried posting the website link here, the post will be hidden due to the need for approval. :P 

So, if you want the ID details, just PM me and I'll reply.  :D

Edited by JOYWALKER

Hi everyone, thanks so much for this extremely informative and helpful thread, and especially to mmoh and ryanyth for the detailed and kind sharing on the reno process! Thanks to everyone else for kindly sharing your reno pics too, really enjoyable to see all your beautiful 2 room homes! I'm still patiently waiting for my 2 room bto to be ready (Q1 2023!), and have started looking around for ideas and also to save up.

I have a couple of newbie queries, would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light please. Apologies for the long list, thought I'll try to clarify my questions at one go.

- my 2 room bto is in Tengah, so it's built via PPVC which means the OCS is included (no opting out). If I want to change the entire vinyl floor to porcelain tiles, would laying over the titles be possible or would it require hacking? Hoping to have a almost no need to maintain floor, and tiles seem easier for a robot cleaner to clean.

- For the kitchen, if I only need a sink, no need cooker (I don't cook), can the gas be disabled? I read somewhere that we need to call citygas if we want the gas or wondering if I don't do anything, the gas will not be enabled for my unit? 

- I have also opted for centralised cooling, since it seems the most maintenance free option to having my own compressor. However, the SP person said the aircon, piping and trunking will already be preinstalled in the flat already. Would a preinstalled aircon and its parts be a problem if I am overlaying bathroom wall titles during the renovation?

- I am also thinking of having the bare minimum capentry work done, maybe just the dB box, the bottom kitchen cabinets with a sink and a small countertop area, and a mirror box in the bathroom. I prefer to have loose furniture so I can shift things around (or in case the furniture breaks down, easier to replace!) Would a contractor be more advisable than an ID in this case? And would a constractor quote also include plumbing and electrical works, like a all in one? Also cause probably the titles would probably be the most expensive, and I'm hoping minimal carpentry will offset the costs. I'm hoping it to be 15k like mmoh if possible.

- I would like to get the wall hung toilet bowl. I really like the idea of it ever since I read in someone's else tblog it's really easy to clean and take up minimal space. Does anyone have any experience doing it in a 2 room bto before?

-  I'm hoping to get a sliding door done after the main door in the small walkway between the bathroom and bomb shelter. Because it's a corridor unit, so it's more to insulate from the corridor sounds. Would a barn door or glass door be more advisable?

- How do I approach IDs or contractors for quotes? I keep reading that we need to share our floor plan or meet the ID/contractor at the flat to have hours of discussion and to wait for the quote. Is it advisable at the initial stage to perhaps just WhatsApps the ID or contractor our floor plan, a brief list of what we want to do, the theme, the budget and ask for a itemized quotation instead? Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm really not sure about the process.

Sorry for the long list. It's the few things I wasn't sure about. Thanks so much for any advice and info anyone is able to give, much appreciate!

Hi, i remembered reading in this forum, somebody installed a small wall fan in the toilet. Anybody can remember where is this post? I am thinking of doing the same and would like to ask this owner how effective the fan is. Thks

On 5/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, Magenta said:

Hi All! Pretty excited to get my apartment next year!

When I was looking at the floor plan again, I'm kinda feeling down about a couple of things.

The sliding door partition is indicated with a bold line. Does that mean I can't hack down the partition? Coz I intend to make the space between the bedroom and living room be seamless.

And the bomb shelter jutting out in the living room is really quite an eyesore. Anyone's layout is similar as such? And how do you mask that or make use of that protruding wall?

InkedScreenHunter 130_LI.jpg

Hey... same layout as mine... u at ns cove too? 

yeahh... the toilet layout is a headache... still thinking how to interchange the wash basin with the shower area....

On 2/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Starskies said:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for this extremely informative and helpful thread, and especially to mmoh and ryanyth for the detailed and kind sharing on the reno process! Thanks to everyone else for kindly sharing your reno pics too, really enjoyable to see all your beautiful 2 room homes! I'm still patiently waiting for my 2 room bto to be ready (Q1 2023!), and have started looking around for ideas and also to save up.

I have a couple of newbie queries, would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light please. Apologies for the long list, thought I'll try to clarify my questions at one go.

- my 2 room bto is in Tengah, so it's built via PPVC which means the OCS is included (no opting out). If I want to change the entire vinyl floor to porcelain tiles, would laying over the titles be possible or would it require hacking? Hoping to have a almost no need to maintain floor, and tiles seem easier for a robot cleaner to clean.

- For the kitchen, if I only need a sink, no need cooker (I don't cook), can the gas be disabled? I read somewhere that we need to call citygas if we want the gas or wondering if I don't do anything, the gas will not be enabled for my unit? 

- I have also opted for centralised cooling, since it seems the most maintenance free option to having my own compressor. However, the SP person said the aircon, piping and trunking will already be preinstalled in the flat already. Would a preinstalled aircon and its parts be a problem if I am overlaying bathroom wall titles during the renovation?

- I am also thinking of having the bare minimum capentry work done, maybe just the dB box, the bottom kitchen cabinets with a sink and a small countertop area, and a mirror box in the bathroom. I prefer to have loose furniture so I can shift things around (or in case the furniture breaks down, easier to replace!) Would a contractor be more advisable than an ID in this case? And would a constractor quote also include plumbing and electrical works, like a all in one? Also cause probably the titles would probably be the most expensive, and I'm hoping minimal carpentry will offset the costs. I'm hoping it to be 15k like mmoh if possible.

- I would like to get the wall hung toilet bowl. I really like the idea of it ever since I read in someone's else tblog it's really easy to clean and take up minimal space. Does anyone have any experience doing it in a 2 room bto before?

-  I'm hoping to get a sliding door done after the main door in the small walkway between the bathroom and bomb shelter. Because it's a corridor unit, so it's more to insulate from the corridor sounds. Would a barn door or glass door be more advisable?

- How do I approach IDs or contractors for quotes? I keep reading that we need to share our floor plan or meet the ID/contractor at the flat to have hours of discussion and to wait for the quote. Is it advisable at the initial stage to perhaps just WhatsApps the ID or contractor our floor plan, a brief list of what we want to do, the theme, the budget and ask for a itemized quotation instead? Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm really not sure about the process.

Sorry for the long list. It's the few things I wasn't sure about. Thanks so much for any advice and info anyone is able to give, much appreciate!

I think you can overlay tiles on vinyl. only issue is when you do that, you have a height gap between living room and kitchen, unless you also overlay your kitchen and bathroom. Vinyl is not that difficult to clean. But then I dont use robot so no idea on how easy it is.

There is pre-built gas pipe in your kitchen, if you dont need it, it will just stay there. It is bright yellow.

I dont see any issue with overlaying tiles over existing bathroom tiles.

You can get a main contractor who can liaise with various contractor for you. other contractor means plumber, electrician, painter, carpenter and etc. I think 15k should be able to cover those you mentioned, depends the cost of tiles you select.

Cant comment on wall hung toilet.

barn door - dont think it will be good for sound insulation. glass door yes, but cleaning and risk or breaking higher. what about PD door with glass in the middle?

You can ask around your friends and colleagues for referral. Or if you see some tblog who the threadstarter highly recommend their contractor, you can PM them and ask for contacts. But some contractor will want to see the physical unit to provide quote.

no worries, ask whatever you have. :)

On 3/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, Koon said:

Hi, i remembered reading in this forum, somebody installed a small wall fan in the toilet. Anybody can remember where is this post? I am thinking of doing the same and would like to ask this owner how effective the fan is. Thks

that will be andotang. 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Starskies said:

Just need to remove the vinyl and lay the porcelain tiles. I don't think overlaying vinyl is advisable. For laying vinyl you need a level substrate, so you already have a level surface for the porcelain tiles. No hacking needed just remove the vinyl and the underlying concrete floor will be suitable for laying tiles. Although as mmoh pointed out the height of the floor might be slightly affected (maybe 1/8 inch higher, if tiles are same thickness as vinyl, due to the tile adhesive, aka cement) in this case but it should be minimum as long as it does not affect the main door clearance.

As for the wall hung WC, I don't think it will be possible as the WC outlet is in the floor and not in the wall.

Do read up on the renovation process as much as possible and have a good idea on what you want to achieve. As the more knowledgeable you are the better you can communicate with your contractor.

Edited by jothm

22 hours ago, ClarissaY said:

@mmoh Hi mmoh, can possible pm me your ID contact details? Try to pm you but seem cannot.

Thanks in advance.

oops, guess it was full. Have pm you.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, WarriorBunny said:

Hey... same layout as mine... u at ns cove too? 

yeahh... the toilet layout is a headache... still thinking how to interchange the wash basin with the shower area....

wah headache sia..the toilet layout like this..how to do shower screen ar? haiz...

On 6/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, weixiang said:

wah headache sia..the toilet layout like this..how to do shower screen ar? haiz...

I did move my basin and sealed up my kitchen toilet door, in order to have a shower/wet area.

Guess you can do the same thing, but instead of sealing up the kitchen toilet door,  you may have to seal up the bedroom toilet door. 

Doing that, it will also gives you more space to do a longer wardrobe in your bedroom too.  :D

toilet layout.jpg

On 6/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, JOYWALKER said:

I did move my basin and sealed up my kitchen toilet door, in order to have a shower/wet area.

Guess you can do the same thing, but instead of sealing up the kitchen toilet door,  you may have to seal up the bedroom toilet door. 

Doing that, it will also gives you more space to do a longer wardrobe in your bedroom too.  :D

toilet layout.jpg

cool..thanks for the idea...BTW, can see ur toilet pics?

On 9/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, JOYWALKER said:

Done! PM you liao. ?
The trunking is done by the Gain City guys and they were very good at their job.

My camera sucks. Here are the better pics of my bathroom (sent to me by my ID):

3A2EE8CA-6042-4C4B-9C2C-2A7AAB2F1F3A.jpeg

ECD20170-1CDE-4AE0-A755-C800EC4AFA05.jpeg

Hi Joywalker,

i have similar layout as yours and i plan to seal the bedroom side of the wall.
although you were able to designate the shower to that corner and have the basin opposite the toilet, may i know if you broke the warranty to do this? I suggested to swap position of the basin (beside toiletbowl) to where the shower(in middle of toilet, opposite the toilet bowl) and the contractor told me it would require hacking to do piping and will break the HDB 5yr warranty.