Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

ID or Architect to renovate semi D.

Do you guys have any names to recommend? Looking for those who have experience working with landed houses and not just HDBs/Condos. Would prefer if you have personal experience working with them as well.

Really appreciate your help as this is my first time posting here. :)

Thanks!

---------

Post edited as i got too many messages about this.

Edited by renotalkclaire

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi RenoTalkClaire,

Well, not all IDs require you to use their contractors. It is possible to engage them for a design only.

I am not that knowledgeable in that field, but I usually contact Mr Tan at 8330 xxxx for advice and queries. He has a lot of contacts that comes in handy at times too!

• Like 1

Hi RenoTalkClaire,

Well, not all IDs require you to use their contractors. It is possible to engage them for a design only.

I am not that knowledgeable in that field, but I usually contact Mr Tan at 8330 4808 for advice and queries. He has a lot of contacts that comes in handy at times too!

Sorry, who is Mr Tan?

Hi.

If you have your own contractors to work on and you need advises from a interior designer.

You can engaged them only for interior design consultants only.

For example you can engage us :good:

Hence we will provide 3D design proposal drawing for your contractor for easy fabrication and work.

Do contact us at morethanreach@gmail.com on your requirement and we will reply you with a quote and guideline asap.Thank you.

OK thanks, will do. What company are you from?

I always believe that one of the best experience one could have in a life journey is to build (or refurbish) a house; for it offers the opportunity of deep self-discovery.

The experience is very different from say, buying a condo and renovating it.

Over here, there is relatively fewer of such opportunity when compared with where, say, one is living in Australia or New Zealand. So, when presented one, I say don't let go of the opportunity.

For a well designed landed, it typically addressed the issues of natural lighting, ventilation and landscape. A truly outstanding design, in my opinion, is in the detail; the relationship between the house and the landscape (how the natural lighting comes into the house, what do you see looking out, what do people see looking in, how the house complements the neighborhood etc), the material used for the facade and then internally.

Over here, I think that most architects would rush through a project. And most IDs have very little experience in landed project, or they tend to design it for a condo (it is actually far more difficult to ID a bigger space than smaller).

So, to build a house or refurbish one, the owner should be more participative; actively rather than passively.

To address some of the questions raised:

- There is no such thing as a contractor that could cover all aspects of a refurbishment. If the contractor is a main contractor, then most of the works are subcontracted (in this case, he is no better than an ID who subcontracts the works as well.).

- There are bylaws related to a house refurbishment. For example, one couldn't just widen a driveway without a written consent from LTA; while anything inside the gate belongs to you, anything just outslde the gate belongs to LTA.

- For landscaping, it is better to approach a landscaping company directly. (And plant a couple of trees, wouldn't you?)

And for a video break.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I always believe that one of the best experience one could have in a life journey is to build (or refurbish) a house; for it offers the opportunity of deep self-discovery.

The experience is very different from say, buying a condo and renovating it.

Over here, there is relatively fewer of such opportunity when compared with where, say, one is living in Australia or New Zealand. So, when presented one, I say don't let go of the opportunity.

For a well designed landed, it typically addressed the issues of natural lighting, ventilation and landscape. A truly outstanding design, in my opinion, is in the detail; the relationship between the house and the landscape (how the natural lighting comes into the house, what do you see looking out, what do people see looking in, how the house complements the neighborhood etc), the material used for the facade and then internally.

Over here, I think that most architects would rush through a project. And most IDs have very little experience in landed project, or they tend to design it for a condo (it is actually far more difficult to ID a bigger space than smaller).

So, to build a house or refurbish one, the owner should be more participative; actively rather than passively.

To address some of the questions raised:

- There is no such thing as a contractor that could cover all aspects of a refurbishment. If the contractor is a main contractor, then most of the works are subcontracted (in this case, he is no better than an ID who subcontracts the works as well.).

- There are bylaws related to a house refurbishment. For example, one couldn't just widen a driveway without a written consent from LTA; while anything inside the gate belongs to you, anything just outslde the gate belongs to LTA.

- For landscaping, it is better to approach a landscaping company directly. (And plant a couple of trees, wouldn't you?)

And for a video break.

Enjoy!

Oh sorry if i wasnt clear. Im only looking to widen the driveway inside my gate. ie. the way the cars can be parked instead of just one behind another so that a car can come out of the gate without the other having to reverse out first.

Sorry, who is Mr Tan?

Mr Tan is the ID I contact normally, he can probably give more advice and information than an amateur like me =D

Hi All,

My parents are looking to do some renovations to our house to modernize it and enclose some of the open areas (porch, covered garage). Also, to prep the house for their old age - level some minor steps, changing staircase railing etc. We wont be doing any structural changes in terms of knocking down supporting walls etc, and was wondering if we need an architect to help design the change or will an ID do? We have a contractor we are looking to work with, but would be good if we have someone with a design background to help design the floor plan etc.

Is that possible? We've never worked with an ID before so not sure what the procedure is like. Will they work with us if we have a contractor we are already looking to use? Or must we use their contractor? We're looking more for a designer to help with the design and planning aspect of the space? Is that possible? To engage them for ideas? Or will they not be interested and only interested if they are involved in the building aspect? Really clueless so hope someone can shed some light on this.

Contractor will be doing the hard works like hacking off walls and construction of sliding glass doors etc. But will work with the ID for design of open plan living space (about 1100 Sq Ft) for Living / Dining / Bar / Entertainment space. Need to think of how to utilize the space properly. ID to do up any feature walls / carpentry for cabinets etc.

Do you guys have any names to recommend? Looking for those who have experience working with landed houses and not just HDBs/Condos. Would prefer if you have personal experience working with them as well. Also, would i need a landscaper to help with the garden as well? Or would an Architect/ID familiar with landed properties be able to advise on that as well? (Not in terms of the plants etc, but in terms of getting the garden structure to match the house)

For example, one specific issue we're looking at (not a necessity, depending on cost) is extending the gateway/driveway in terms of width so that it is easier for multiple cars to drive in and out of the house especially now that we're reducing the length of the driveway. Hope i'm being clear enough.

Thanks!

I think your situation was pretty similar to mine. My suggestion is to work with a contractor that can do the design for you so less liaising and passing instruction between the 2 companies which can be a hassle if you are someone busy. May i know whats the reason you want to split the jobs between the 2?

it will be better to do with one company. as two companies will normally have more problems occur. better to get those one stop service company, that have everything u need or can solve any problem for u. i saw before how my sister go with two to three companies, there are many miscommunication and mostly likely will delay the process. and when problems occur alway is "not under my work" etc. so when is my turn, i go with the one stop service company to save trouble better than save money

Try Choi & Chen Collaborative. They are a husband and wife team. Very very good. Check out their fb page. I don't have their contact number but just tell them Chris from the Pest Control sent you, they will take care of your needs.

Do you guys have any names to recommend? Looking for those who have experience working with landed houses and not just HDBs/Condos. Would prefer if you have personal experience working with them as well.

Thanks!

---------

Hi, maybe can try Mr William @ 9383xxxx. He is good! he provide great ideas and great saving for my reno

Thanks!

---------

Can try Mr William 9383xxxx ... They did a awesome job for my semi D

Edited by rinamod

Hello renotalkclaire,

Wonder have you already started your renovation? Care to share which are the reno companies you've liaised with and which one you chose? I am in the process of sourcing for one for a major overhaul of my inter-terrace. If you're willing to share your experience, please message me privately. Thank you.

Regards,

Carol