Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
n_t

Solid Surface Crack

Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone has any experience of kitchen solid surface cracking?

My kitchen was done up about 8 yrs or so. The rest of the kitchen is still in good condition with the normal wear and tear. However, the crack appeared on the solid surface on both top corners where it is supporting of my hob. And it is quite deep. The thing is that I have rented out my house and apparently my tenant told me tt the crack started 2 yrs back (and he didnt even tell me and we didnt notice until now).

Is this wear and tear? Best way to solve this?

Edited by n_t

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

In engineering, corners are 'stress raisers', as cracks will form easily at these places. So sharp corners are usually avoided.

Notice the windows on airplanes are curved at all 4 corners.... same reason.

Anyway, solid top can patch when crack... at least that was what my contractor told me when I did mine 6 years ago.

But it is a small job, so not sure if any contractor is interested.

Is the solid surface still very strong after being patched up? Just worried tt it will reoccur again.

Edited by n_t

gallery_16779_7_80274.jpg

Finally managed to upload the pic. As you can see from the pic, it is really deep. The other end is not as deep as this.

Edited by n_t

Not sure if it is worth patching. I think how they do it is to fill the gap with the same material, wait for it to dry and then re-surface/grind the top again. You get a fresh new layer on the top surface. You also get powdery dust all over the kitchen.

But if you are still renting out, maybe apply some silicone (to prevent water seapage) and forget it.