Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lucidacid

My Humble Abode (Without Id)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Lucidacid,

Nice reno.

May I have the 3 contractors contact and your quotation?

Please also give me Ah Giant's supervisor no. as I also staying in fernvale.

Thanks in advance!

KenCan's concern is exactly my concern too. I was actually very keen to engage J&E as my contractor, after reading so many good reviews about them here. However, I also read from HDB's website that it's a legal requirement to engage a HDB registered renovation contractor to carry out renovations in a HDB flat (doesn't apply to private property like condos). The fine for engaging non-HDB registered contractor is up to $5000. :jawdrop:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelines?OpenDocument

When I get a chance, I will call HDB to find out. Meanwhile, if anyone can shed some light, would appreciate it too. :)

Hi KenCan,

I've been to their showflats, in fact they are flats renovated by them and is almost completed. On this forum, I've checked with the people who have engaged them how they were like and if they were HDB registered. I even called HDB to check if it was even legal without mentioning their name. I wanted to keep the costs as low as possible. I asked them questions to check if they were well-informed about the restrictions and requirements of HDB.

Maybe you should call HDB and check with them all your concerns. I am afraid I cannot address them as professionally and accurately as them. Being a first timer, I am as clueless as you are. Also, I don't want to be held responsible for anything that isn't 100% accurate when it comes to legal stuff since I've no expertise on them.

Ok, to answer my own question, I have actually just called the HDB hotline. The officer said clearly that it's a must to engage a HDB-registered renovation contractor (as per their website). No 2 ways about it... :unsure:

Hi Lucidacid, I simply love your house! Very classy. :)

Do you mind PM your contractor details? TIA!

Pm-ed you!

Hello lucidacid,

Could you please share your contractor details?

Thanks.

Pm-ed you!

@Lucidacid:

will you mind elaborating on how your contractor actually managed to achieve the thin frames, e.g. is it 1(or multiple) big panes of glass then he paste the metal strips on top of the glass, etc.? What material is the metal? Mild steel of aluminum? & as someone also asked earlier, how thick.thin is the horizontal/vertical cross-section of each metal strut?

Thank you.

My contractor had a huge piece of glass, and glued the thin strips of powder coated aluminum. It does not hold any weight of the glass. It is about 15mm - 20mm wide!

Hi hi, can you pm me the contractor contact? Seem like ur msg box is full alrdy. Can we engage him for quotation before my house key collection?

Pm-ed you! They don't quote until they get accurate measurements from the actual site (:

Hi,

I am also looking for a contractor to renovate my mum's house. Can you share with me your contract contact? How do you find them?

Pm-ed you. I found them here, in renotalk forum.

Hello Lucidacid,

Could you please share contractor details and cost of reno??

Thanks.

Pm-ed you!

Hello Lucidacid! Love what you've done with your house! Could you please share with me the list of contractors you liaised with, please?
Thanks much! :D

Pm-ed you!

Hi Lucidacid, fantastic home!! :)
Mind sharing with me your quote and contractor details?

Pm-ed you!

Hi Lucidacid,

Could you please PM me J & E contact details?

Thanks alot! :D

PM-ed you!

Hi neighbour,

You house look fab!!! I love it. Was wondering if you can share the contractors for E and J please? Thanks

Pm-ed you!

Hi. your house looks good. Pls share contractors for E and J please? Thanks

Pm-ed you!

Hello Lucidacid

Can PM me your contractor's detail? Many thanks! :)

Pm-ed you!

Hi can PM me J contact please?

Pm-ed you!

Hi there! i am also looking around for contractors to some upgrading works. Do you mind to share your contacts? Just wondering, can they help to give ideas too?

TIA!

Pm-ed you!

Hello Lucidacid! Can share how the other side of your kitchen look like (the side where your fridge would be). Thanks!

Will upload it when I'm free! Really really tied up these few months due to my upcoming wedding...! Sorry!

Hi dear TS,

Can pm me contractor J+E contacts please. Many thanks!

Pm-ed you!

Hi Lucidacid,

May I please have your contractor's details please? I'm starting out on my search for a contractor (don't want ID), so appreciate the contact from you. Thank you! :)

Pm-ed yoU!

Hi Lucidacid, where did get the door stopper that cost $50? Can share the contact ?

It was a bulk purchase with my neighbours. My neighbour was the one who had the contact. Will check with her and get back to you again!a

Hi! Beautiful house you have. Can u pm me contractor A's contact? Thanks!

I lost contractor A's contact when I dropped my phone into a bucket of water on 2 months ago! :( Nevertheless, Pm-ed you the name so you can try googling.

Hi Lucidacid,

Nice reno.
May I have the 3 contractors contact and your quotation?
Please also give me Ah Giant's supervisor no. as I also staying in fernvale.
Thanks in advance!

Sorry, because I can only answer the questions which are easily answered, I'll put yours on hold. Have to find again since my phone dropped into a bucket of water two months ago.

Hi Lucidacid

Can you PM the contractor J and E contact number ?

May I know where you get the sofa and TV console. it so beautiful. :)

Pm-ed you! Got it from Sofa is from Castlery and Tv console is from grafunkt! (:

Hi,

Could we have the contact of your stucco contractor? How much roughly did you spend on your stucco?

Thanks.

PM-de you! Spent about 2.5k?

KenCan's concern is exactly my concern too. I was actually very keen to engage J&E as my contractor, after reading so many good reviews about them here. However, I also read from HDB's website that it's a legal requirement to engage a HDB registered renovation contractor to carry out renovations in a HDB flat (doesn't apply to private property like condos). The fine for engaging non-HDB registered contractor is up to $5000. :jawdrop:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoGuidelines?OpenDocument

When I get a chance, I will call HDB to find out. Meanwhile, if anyone can shed some light, would appreciate it too. :)

Ok, to answer my own question, I have actually just called the HDB hotline. The officer said clearly that it's a must to engage a HDB-registered renovation contractor (as per their website). No 2 ways about it... :unsure:

Alright. I understand your concerns. To answer your questions, I actually called HDB again and clarified from J&E.

It is a must to engage HDB-registered renovation contractor if you are planning to hacking works. (Do check the FAQ section on HDB's website) Your fine of $5000 only applies to those who did illegal works such as hacking the ceiling in order to conceal the wires for lighting, etc.

For any firm or contractors to register with HDB, they have to be in the industry for at least a year. So for J&E, they engaged their sister firm (Sub con) which is HDB-registered to do any hacking works. As of now, they will be HDB-registered in 3 months time.

I would appreciate if you call J&E to clarify with them if you are interested because ultimately I'm not their ambassador. Information is so readily available, I was baffled why it wasn't understood. Regardless, they are now full and will not be taking any more projects this year. Also, they advised people who are afraid or scared should not engage them. So if you still feel apprehensive about it, I would suggest that you give J&E a miss. Honestly, when I engaged them I did call HDB to check and I got a green light. Could be the way the question was asked or understood. You scared me quite a bit there. Hope I answered your question. :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks, Lucidacid, for going the extra mile to call HDB and clarify with J&E, wasn't expecting this so really appreciate it. Sorry if my posts caused some panic as that wasn't the intention. I believe all of us just want to do things the "right" way and share knowledge, especially for myself as a total reno noob. :)

I have actually given J a call myself, after I called HDB just now. He mentioned the sister company as well. I think the crux is which company we sign the renovation contract with - under that sister company's name or under J&E's. This would be critical (this article addresses this issue a bit - http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/lifestyle/article/1/is-your-contractor-hdb-licensed-and-does-it-matter)

Nevertheless, I'm happy to hear that J&E may be HDB-registered in the near future, as I'll only be getting my keys next year. Once the registration is underway, it'll definitely give me more peace of mind. I have confidence in the quality of J&E's work (especially looking at how beautiful your house turned out) and really hope to get a chance to work with them!

Lastly, for anyone else who may get into the same dilemma as me, sharing one more article from HDB:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoImptNote?OpenDocument

Ultimately, it definitely boils down to individual preference and comfort level. :)

Guest Lorraine Chia

Wow!! I first viewed your post on my very first time on renotalk a while ago, and now that we're getting the keys tomorrow i'm back looking for inspiration and your completed house is just :jawdrop: can i also have the contractor J&E's contact? Newbie here and completely overwhelmed at where to start!