Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mumsy14

Beware Of Novena Furnitures

In Oct 2014, I visited Novena Furniture at Balestier Road to reserve a dinning table I took a liking to at their Sungei Kadut Branch. When I was there, it took a while as I was told that the price quoted by the Saleman at Sungei Kadut was wrong, and they tried to contact him to verify. Meanwhile they asked me to look at their beds promotion, and got another saleslady to serve me. I turned them down as I was tire and wanting to just settle the dining table and leave. However, the saleslady was extremely persistent that I tried their beds since I was waiting for the order of my dinning set to be printed. I kept insisting that I was not ready as I was still waiting for my fengshui report to be out, and reno would only start in Jan so I am in no rush. However, the still persistent saleslady, now together with the first saleslady offered me a 50% discount after saying that this is rare and only for me since I’ve bought something from them. She also assured me that I can change for other furniture if I do not find the bed suitable later on. Then the Salesman who seems to be the Manager there, also assured me the same thing, asking me to take advantage to lock in the discount. They kept assuring me that I could change the item later while maintaining the same discount. I was eventually pressured into paying a deposit of $360 for a $1199 bed.

In Dec, when my Fengshui orientation came out, I realised the bed, as well as the dining chairs could not fit into the desired position. So I quickly went over to Balestier to inform them. I intended to change the dining chairs to stools, but they do not have chairs without back support then. I also wanted to cancel the bed as the room could only take a single bed which they do not have the colour required by Fengshui. I then asked to use the deposit I paid for the bed to offset the $900 dining table. To my dismay, they said I must change to something else with the same amount as the bed or more. I argued that this was not told to me. I had the impression while there’s no refund of deposit, I could use the deposit to buy something else, as in normal circumstances with other retailers. As they gave me no choice, I went to other branches hoping to see something I like. However, it’s always either what I like and can afford, it’s out of stock, or measurement cannot fit in and has to be custom made, which end up far over my budget. This dragged on for months.

Then in late January when it was time to move into my new home, I asked for the delivery of my dining table which cost $900. I had already paid a combined deposit of $730 on the bed and table then, and so I tried to just give them $170. They refused to accept and even threatened to take back the dining table which has already been set up. So in the end, I ended up paying them $1430 for a $900 dining table or no dining table for CNY Reunion dinner.

It’s May now, and we are still at loggerheads over the overpayment of $530 from me to them, which they are still claiming no refund, and insisting I have to buy something to the amount of $1199!

Why the drag? I am very busy with my work and travelling, and it’s never easy to get the Sales Manager as every time I sms him, either he does not reply, off, or with customers. When we do talk, he just kept insisting no refund, need to buy same amount as order not deposit etc etc etc.

Would you buy something over a thousand dollars you do not need? I sure regret walking into Novena Furnitures ! Going to CASE...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

This is spore government way of protecting the business. The consumers or the customers are always the losing ends

Most furniture companies are not afraid of us going CASE as they have previous histories cases with CASE.

In the end we consumers are the one who waste the time and effort and take leaves to fight the case with These companies who know how to use the government loopholes to continue bully the consumers.

The companies will soften their actions when the consumer use the media power. Sharing your story with local evening paper or the English THE NEW PAPER reporters.

Make sure you save all the sms messages and the invoices and emails for the CASE officers to review them

In Oct 2014, I visited Novena Furniture at Balestier Road to reserve a dinning table I took a liking to at their Sungei Kadut Branch. When I was there, it took a while as I was told that the price quoted by the Saleman at Sungei Kadut was wrong, and they tried to contact him to verify. Meanwhile they asked me to look at their beds promotion, and got another saleslady to serve me. I turned them down as I was tire and wanting to just settle the dining table and leave. However, the saleslady was extremely persistent that I tried their beds since I was waiting for the order of my dinning set to be printed. I kept insisting that I was not ready as I was still waiting for my fengshui report to be out, and reno would only start in Jan so I am in no rush. However, the still persistent saleslady, now together with the first saleslady offered me a 50% discount after saying that this is rare and only for me since I’ve bought something from them. She also assured me that I can change for other furniture if I do not find the bed suitable later on. Then the Salesman who seems to be the Manager there, also assured me the same thing, asking me to take advantage to lock in the discount. They kept assuring me that I could change the item later while maintaining the same discount. I was eventually pressured into paying a deposit of $360 for a $1199 bed.

In Dec, when my Fengshui orientation came out, I realised the bed, as well as the dining chairs could not fit into the desired position. So I quickly went over to Balestier to inform them. I intended to change the dining chairs to stools, but they do not have chairs without back support then. I also wanted to cancel the bed as the room could only take a single bed which they do not have the colour required by Fengshui. I then asked to use the deposit I paid for the bed to offset the $900 dining table. To my dismay, they said I must change to something else with the same amount as the bed or more. I argued that this was not told to me. I had the impression while there’s no refund of deposit, I could use the deposit to buy something else, as in normal circumstances with other retailers. As they gave me no choice, I went to other branches hoping to see something I like. However, it’s always either what I like and can afford, it’s out of stock, or measurement cannot fit in and has to be custom made, which end up far over my budget. This dragged on for months.

Then in late January when it was time to move into my new home, I asked for the delivery of my dining table which cost $900. I had already paid a combined deposit of $730 on the bed and table then, and so I tried to just give them $170. They refused to accept and even threatened to take back the dining table which has already been set up. So in the end, I ended up paying them $1430 for a $900 dining table or no dining table for CNY Reunion dinner.

It’s May now, and we are still at loggerheads over the overpayment of $530 from me to them, which they are still claiming no refund, and insisting I have to buy something to the amount of $1199!

Why the drag? I am very busy with my work and travelling, and it’s never easy to get the Sales Manager as every time I sms him, either he does not reply, off, or with customers. When we do talk, he just kept insisting no refund, need to buy same amount as order not deposit etc etc etc.

Would you buy something over a thousand dollars you do not need? I sure regret walking into Novena Furnitures ! Going to CASE...

Don't go to CASE. Go to the small claims directly.

Going CASE this Sat, then Small Claims eventually for a full refund since have to come to this stage. Should they have just let me utilize my deposit way back late last year for an exchange, I would have just close one eye and chosen something as a gift to relative or friend. Now dragged so long and wasted so much time , no refund no talk. What made me so angry was I am always the one calling them. So silly of them not to try to quickly resolve this issue amicably.

Way back in Oct/Nov, I also went to Nova in Kallang, and their service by this sales lady Annie, was simply great! She went all out to offer me solutions and make alterations to the bedroom sets and sofa I liked at a very small price. Infact, because my house is small, I ended up paying less after alteration to a smaller size! When the furniture eventually came and could not fit in as I've forgotten to add in the aircon pipe when giving them the measurements, I thought I have to throw away the furniture and re-order. Instead of taking advantage, she quickly arranged for their worker in Malaysia to come to my place to see how they can salvage the situation, and I ended up paying just $150, including transport to fit in 2 sets of single bed with side display and study table nicely into the room. I was so grateful and amazed at their carpentry work! Thumbs up for Nova!

Very busy with my work, once I have time, I will post picts of my new home here for all to view. I DIY and my furnitures are all from Nova, Ikea, Lorenzo, Home Harmony and Novena.

I started a different thread complaining about this company over two years back!!! Makes me mad that people still keep having the same frustrations. Stop buying from there!!!!

Hmm..I must be lucky then. I did not visit this forum prior to my purchase of my 3+2 recliner leather sofa. I was looking at lights at shaw plaza balestier and came across novena furniture. The salesperson was patient and knowledgable with their product and recommended the set ideal for my situation. The real leather sofa i got was $200 cheaper compared to Nova in the same design.. delivery was smooth and quality recieved was good.Delivery men was very courteous too.

Edited by Susie