Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nextstep

A Man Need A Cave - My Bachelor Pad Reno Journey

Day 20

Just back from the place not to long ago, I should have visit much earlier today. (Very hard to take pic in a low light situation)

Everything seem to be fast now, so this is some of what is done.

- Tiles in the common toilet

- Tiles in the service yard

- Floor is screed

- Tiles in the kitchen is up.

Didn't take too much of pic as it is kinda dark without the lights, will go down to take more pic tomorrow.

love the effect of the dark grey subway tiles.

FullSizeRender_zps5g883mnz.jpg

so sorry for the super fat foot in this photo.

FullSizeRender_zps6br81dua.jpg

Today I also shortlisted the sink I am going to use for the MBR and common toilet

for MBR dry vanity area

LW526J.jpg

for common toilet

lw811cj_white_141882636951092600.jpg

Edited by nextstep

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Oooh beautiful dark subway tiles!!!

Can't wait to see it juxtaposed with your cabinets.

My designer spends lots of time convince me to go for this colour, the 1st choice is the same design and have glossy surface but too bad no stock so we go for this matt surface subway tiles.

Now looking at it, I am glad that I took her advice.

Edited by nextstep

For a single man's home, could you have overpowered with electrical appliances? I mean, the sustainability issue with electrical bills etc like Big fridge models you chose. I reckon your washer, tv, hop hood also the higher end and bigger model?

For a single man's home, could you have overpowered with electrical appliances? I mean, the sustainability issue with electrical bills etc like Big fridge models you chose. I reckon your washer, tv, hop hood also the higher end and bigger model?

Not necessary big means wasting electricity, example for fridge, if your house got 4 people living in it and all 4 person (smaller fridge but frequent opening) vs 1 person (bigger fridge but lesser opening) opening the fridge to take stuff and every time, the fridge open, it loses the cold air, and will need to work harder to keep the fridge at the set temperature.

Another example is washing machine, washing machine also consume a lot of electricity, if you buy a small washing machine for a house of 4, and all 4 wash at different or many times, its actually consuming more electricity.

For single who brought the same size or bigger size as compared to the house of 4, its actually more cost effective in the long run.

Its apply to most other appliances and aircon.

Ultimately it bottom down to how one uses those appliances, appliances like aircon and fridge when they reach their designated temp, its will just be in a lower power mode and thus it help to cut electricity wastage.

Unless those people set their aircon 18 degree and yet keep open their bedroom or main living room door and let the cold air escape and thus the aircon will keep using maximum power to try to maintain 18 degree temperature. But i think any logical person wont do that lol, must save the earth and also save the pocket. ;)

Edited by Ahyong81

Bigger does not means more. Mainly subject to means of usage.

Like a car, yes a 2 liter consumes more petrol but if one driving an Altis but covers 150km min a day VS a 2L 50km a day, still the 2L will spend much lesser in cost for petrol.

Not necessary big means wasting electricity, example for fridge, if your house got 4 people living in it and all 4 person (smaller fridge but frequent opening) vs 1 person (bigger fridge but lesser opening) opening the fridge to take stuff and every time, the fridge open, it loses the cold air, and will need to work harder to keep the fridge at the set temperature.

Well said. :good:

With bigger or higher end appliances will not cost more in terms of your utilities bill, is more about the user using habit. For example like the fridge I got, it come with 3 ticks and with the multidoor also help to reduce power consumption because each time you open the fridge the area got increases of temperature are small than 2 doors.

Another example is washing machine, washing machine also consume a lot of electricity, if you buy a small washing machine for a house of 4, and all 4 wash at different or many times, its actually consuming more electricity.

For single who brought the same size or bigger size as compared to the house of 4, its actually more cost effective in the long run.

Its apply to most other appliances and aircon.

Ultimately it bottom down to how one uses those appliances, appliances like aircon and fridge when they reach their designated temp, its will just be in a lower power mode and thus it help to cut electricity wastage.

Unless those people set their aircon 18 degree and yet keep open their bedroom or main living room door and let the cold air escape and thus the aircon will keep using maximum power to try to maintain 18 degree temperature. But i think any logical person wont do that lol, must save the earth and also save the pocket. ;)

Bro, you really answer the question and I think you & I do think the same way.

On top of that more higher end model come with better power electric saving function as well.

Edited by nextstep

Updates

My ID pass me all the laminates and counter top samples I selected,

So took a photo and share with all of you here. (So sorry have to use a towel as a background, because my table is black in colour)

JPEG%20image-4D42A562217E-1_zpscyvvn9tu.

Top - One side of my kitchen cabinets

Left - TV cabinate, wardrobe, back of the opening shelving and the other side of kitchen cabinet (left to right)

Right - Dry vanity counter top, kitchen counter top & service yard tiles (Top, left & right)

Edited by nextstep

Need Advice

Hi All, I really need some advice, I am looking to buy my toilet accessories.

when come to towel bar I really headache, I want to hang the towel fully extended so I think I need more then 650mm I took out some of my towel to measure it.

I am currently looking at TOTO (Can get discount) and Hansgrohe (Amazon)

TOTO come with lots of sizes (some more than 650mm) but I can't see the technical drawing online, so not too sure the actual use area is more than 650mm, than Hansgrohe all come with standard 600mm (actual use area slightly smaller, attach pic) but I really love the built of it.

37__hmb00829_tif.jpg?7

How about you guys? what you got for your toilet accessories?

Ehhhh I'm not really sure how long my towel racks are from "Hansgrohe" (unsure of authenticity since it's from TB), but I got one tip for you in case you can't find the right one...

Daiso sells extendable towel hangers that fold away when not in use. I use those in addition to a single towel rack I have here in my current rental.

Just extra to consider. Hahaha! They have it in plenty of colors, got sliding and foldable kind.

IMG00392-20110113-1843.jpg

For reference these are the two I bought:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/71893-little-london/page-2#entry909063

Edited by bykaraanne

Ehhhh I'm not really sure how long my towel racks are from "Hansgrohe" (unsure of authenticity since it's from TB), but I got one tip for you in case you can't find the right one...

Daiso sells extendable towel hangers that fold away when not in use. I use those in addition to a single towel rack I have here in my current rental.

Just extra to consider. Hahaha! They have it in plenty of colors, got sliding and foldable kind.

IMG00392-20110113-1843.jpg

For reference these are the two I bought:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/71893-little-london/page-2#entry909063

I am sure I will go get this hanger, I am sure it will be super useful.

Oh ya need to ask about the cleaning tips that you share as well, you mention the 3M sponge, the blue kind? how't its look like ya?

is it this one?

91CU95Lc-bL._SX522_.jpg

It's this one (mainly for cleaning countertops; taps / sinks / even floors and walls). For taps and shower screen, just use Daiso version (melamine sponge) can already. Cheaper. I use this for my countertop and tougher stains!

img_1709.jpg

For cleaning dishes, I also recommend this sponge... Not gross like the usual ones that leave food residue on the rough side; and safe for WMF pots!

mmm-343_1z.jpg

Edited by bykaraanne