Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Bear with the awful pictures, they were all taken with my old iPhone 6, and I'm not a great photographer. :lol:

2015 (MOVE-IN):

KITCHEN

5qBnN8G.jpg

ADdzeWE.jpg

FyHEIHo.jpg

LzmLiDV.jpg

LIVING ROOM

WJkBy9Q.jpg

f7nckSl.jpg

MZ0CUC6.jpg

aVF3h02.jpg

GUEST BATHROOM

BsUGjCe.jpg

TxVjkkq.jpg

MASTER BEDROOM

NWINDd3.jpg

jDrxOoO.jpg

XWxrtI9.jpg

hsVnhEx.jpg

OFFICE / GUEST BEDROOM

myCJbuT.jpg

NRXKM5g.jpg

MASTER BATHROOM

85daMKi.jpg

maO52Rl.jpg

Edited by bykaraanne

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Over the last 2 years, we changed the way we lived: fostered a new bun, changed the way my business worked, experienced the passing of one of our buns, fostered two more bunnies........ Also, as I cleaned the house each week, I got more and more aware of how I wanted the flow of the flat to be and how to maintain it. 

Again, these pictures are taken with lousy iPhone 6 photos by a bad photographer, so bear with me! :D

2017 (TODAY):

LIVING ROOM

okQdCFQ.jpg

aJJQyPk.jpg

pz7WAbu.jpg

avTjiGS.jpg

t5D89DW.jpg

UDM6rWY.jpg

mczz0eJ.jpg

OOThAXj.jpg

SERVICE YARD (also home to my two new foster bunnies)

cx4ahgS.jpg

0DwhMlw.jpg

KITCHEN

3yebXC4.jpg

bM0V9ov.jpg

hz5mISi.jpg

WDlWdst.jpg

go90lj4.jpg

KLWY12e.jpg

MASTER BATHROOM

dMeYJE6.jpg

1Gq1JUW.jpg

MASTER BEDROOM

L0K9gEu.jpg

a4VASjW.jpg

XusEliQ.jpg

GUEST BATHROOM

O6TlqhP.jpg

EkdEMJf.jpg

OFFICE / FOSTER BUNNY ROOM

aBIYozF.jpg

WZ3OJxw.jpg

90xrlZa.jpg

Edited by bykaraanne

OVERALL CHANGES:

Most of our fixed fixtures, we didn't change. The only one that's going soon is the guest bathroom's mirror, which we did not like as it was too big and often got splashes from the sink, which I do not enjoy cleaning everyday. 

The truth is our home was very cheaply renovated, not as extensive as many people here, so honestly most of the time it is as good as it gets. Haha! Without floors and doors from HDB, we spent about low $20k+ on the reno. Tile laying (without free cement screed from HDB) already took a great deal of that budget. 

LIVING ROOM:

I changed out the rug in the LR to a more classic design, more in line with the theme of the home. It was shipped from Amazon about 1 year ago. The coffee table we DIY-ed broke (glass shattered while cleaning - totally my fault) and we got a replacement one that fit the space even better! Though the gold has mostly eroded :wacko: so I won't share where it's from.

I picked up the round table from IKEA AS-IS at $80, and sold away my bulky, dark rectangle table that honestly, showed every single bit of dust, as dark surfaces often do. I added 1 more ghost chair (armless), and gathered all the other ghost chairs I had in the home, and voila! It made a completely airy, lovely set that freed up so much more space in the living room.

I also painted the canvas painting that hangs over it to go with the fresh new look. The coat rack was added because I found us with no place to put our bags everyday when we entered the place, so this was a convenient, neat and drill-less solution to the problem. Now I don't have to bring the bags into the MBR and out everyday. Not the prettiest coat rack, but it costed me $4 and has held up for a year.

As I often have friends and family over to my place, the white bench next to the shoe cabinet is a storage bench that fits right into the wall the dining table is leaning on. On normal days, it's used as storage and extra seating. On dinner dates, it's used to accommodate up to 6 people around the dining table.

The shoe cabinet/bookshelf and foyer table we intend to replace into one slim shoe cabinet with a drawer to make it look neater, but that's a work in progress. We kinda like how things work right now.

Updated many small decor stuff to make the LR look fresher, too. 

KITCHEN:

I practically live in here some days! I cook almost every day, and as you can see, the kitchen has held up. Even without a glass backing, the grout has not turned yellow. I clean my kitchen after every cooking, though. I love my deep + wide sink, and the Taobao faucet has only discolored in some areas and not leaking at all. Still working good for a $30 purchase.

Added an iPad holder (with hooks) to the wall, and suction towel racks to dry cleaning and drying towels from cooking and washing up.

This orientation actually works perfectly for a frequent home cook, and the shelf next to the fridge still works well! We're planning on switching up the air fryer to a steam oven with air frying capability very soon, it should take up almost the same footprint.

Carpentry work largely held up, no issues so far after 2 years of heavy use.

For those wondering about our Solid Top (which we were quite advised against at the beginning) this is how it looks now. It is not super glossy (though it does become a bit more glossy if I treat it with the spray the coy advises), but this is how it looks on a daily basis. No stains at all, and only light scratches that you can't see unless at an angle. There are a few harder knocks when we dropped cups or heavy objects on it, inevitable, but it blends in quite well cus the inside is white, so you can't really tell. LOL.

The second surface is where I cut my vegetables etc and gets the heaviest use. 

vGyIJNB.jpg

Qws2dxj.jpg

OFFICE:

I changed up my business so the office changed up too. It was a cozy nice office, so pretty! But I was no longer the sole employee, so things changed to a more open layout with an extra table for gaming with the SO or a part-time staff or a friend who wants to work here. :) The foster bunny stays with me while I work, too! Not so pretty anymore, but super functional. 

The toilets and master bedroom stayed largely the same. Everything works great for our use. Honestly. I am happy that I did the research that I did, because the only things I regret are probably (1) not marbling up the backsplash of the kitchen to look more luxe; and (2) nicer bifold doors for the toilets. They do work, just not as chio. Thankfully not expensive. 

Also, all I needed was additional refining of my workflow. Changes made didn't cost anything cus I just sold away old stuff to make space for new. But overall the storage works as planned (means minimal clutter) and it's a relatively nice home to live in.

All our Taobao loots still work, the showers, taps, faucet, lights, are all still working after two years. :) Hope that helps some of you out.

THAT'S ALL! Hope this update helps you guys out! :)

If you have any questions, I'll try to reply to them. x

Edited by bykaraanne

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bykaraanne said:

Selffix! :) 

And hope it all goes smoothly for you! :) 

Thank you!! Your place still looks really good! Can tell that u have spent lots of effort cleaning to maintain it.

Did you get white grout for your master bathroom tiles? Edmund advised me against it coz apparently they will turn yellow against China made tiles so we went for darker grout instead. Now I'm regretting my decision after seeing your beautiful toilet..

Seems that he is right that gold painted items will darken/tarnish over time though. I'm worried now coz I have quite a few gold painted stuff!

26 minutes ago, pandacel said:

Thank you!! Your place still looks really good! Can tell that u have spent lots of effort cleaning to maintain it.

Did you get white grout for your master bathroom tiles? Edmund advised me against it coz apparently they will turn yellow against China made tiles so we went for darker grout instead. Now I'm regretting my decision after seeing your beautiful toilet..

Seems that he is right that gold painted items will darken/tarnish over time though. I'm worried now coz I have quite a few gold painted stuff!

My kitchen one actually generally ok and it’s the less goldy rustoleum! The cheaper gold rustoleum does darken with touch.

If you still got time now, just go and get from amazon, or plate. Even furniture from outside the gold doesn’t always stay. 

Some played that stays also look **** gaudy lah, so actually I am still glad I sprayed my handles at the time instead of buying gaudy ones from tb.

but now amazon got quite chio ones! I’m changing for my wardrobe and maybe my kitchen (tho my kitchen got 2 small handles is fixed cus of sink. 

Re: white grout, he didn’t advise me. But hor, no yellowing in my kitchen (hdb supplied) or my bathroom! My bathroom tiles are china made, not sure about hdb but don’t think they’re atas... 

Edited by bykaraanne

What's this chio one from Amazon?? Mind giving me the link? Oh no i think I have some of the gaudy gold stuff from taobao. 

For the grout, think I must show him your nice toilet pic then complain to him liao.

21 minutes ago, pandacel said:

What's this chio one from Amazon?? Mind giving me the link? Oh no i think I have some of the gaudy gold stuff from taobao. 

For the grout, think I must show him your nice toilet pic then complain to him liao.

Cheaper ones:

Goldenwarm 15pcs Brushed Brass Cabinet Cupboard Drawer Door Handle Pulls Knob LS201GD96 for Furniture Kitchen Cupboard Hardware 3-3/4in Hole Center 6in Overall Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4KRHJA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dgrfAbCBE4QYT

Atlas Homewares A875-UB 6-5/16 in. It Pull, Vintage Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O4KLN9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HirfAbKMGS27E

but the expensive rustoleum (with the odd shaped cap, not the normal circular one) works ok. Kitchen actually held up quite well considering I touch everyday. 

Ooh I thought u meant chio gold spray hahahha. Bought the clear Rustoleum last weekend! Wasn't sure of which gold spray to get so in the end didn't buy any.

The Amazon cabinet handles look good and cheap! Even cheaper than those I got off taobao :jawdrop:. If only i've known about these earlier! Feeling cheated now.. 

On 11/22/2017 at 12:20 AM, bykaraanne said:

t5D89DW.jpg

Hey! Enjoyed your photos and posts about your home.

One question - is the plant next to your sofa real? I've been struggling to keep my plants alive; partly because limited sun the plants are getting from where I placed them, but mostly I am just horrible with plants.

If it's fake, can I know where you get it from and how much? I've only seen semi-decent ones from IKEA and it's quite costly!

On 27/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, pandacel said:

Ooh I thought u meant chio gold spray hahahha. Bought the clear Rustoleum last weekend! Wasn't sure of which gold spray to get so in the end didn't buy any.

The Amazon cabinet handles look good and cheap! Even cheaper than those I got off taobao :jawdrop:. If only i've known about these earlier! Feeling cheated now.. 

It’s ok, I’m sure as long as they work it’d be great! :) at least you have options. I’m asking Edmund next year if I can change some stuff maybe. 

On 28/11/2017 at 11:28 AM, casperlai said:

Hey! Enjoyed your photos and posts about your home.

One question - is the plant next to your sofa real? I've been struggling to keep my plants alive; partly because limited sun the plants are getting from where I placed them, but mostly I am just horrible with plants.

If it's fake, can I know where you get it from and how much? I've only seen semi-decent ones from IKEA and it's quite costly!

Yes! It’s real. This plant is very sturdy and easy to keep alive, though it has much less leaves now than it did when I bought it. 

For fake fiddle-leaf trees, the Ikea ones are your easiest bet, but yes they’re not that nice and pricey. Maybe can try TB? 

On 11/22/2017 at 12:20 AM, bykaraanne said:

Over the last 2 years, we changed the way we lived: fostered a new bun, changed the way my business worked, experienced the passing of one of our buns, fostered two more bunnies........ Also, as I cleaned the house each week, I got more and more aware of how I wanted the flow of the flat to be and how to maintain it. 

Again, these pictures are taken with lousy iPhone 6 photos by a bad photographer, so bear with me! :D

2017 (TODAY):

LIVING ROOM

okQdCFQ.jpg

aJJQyPk.jpg

pz7WAbu.jpg

avTjiGS.jpg

t5D89DW.jpg

UDM6rWY.jpg

mczz0eJ.jpg

OOThAXj.jpg

SERVICE YARD (also home to my two new foster bunnies)

cx4ahgS.jpg

0DwhMlw.jpg

KITCHEN

3yebXC4.jpg

bM0V9ov.jpg

hz5mISi.jpg

WDlWdst.jpg

go90lj4.jpg

KLWY12e.jpg

MASTER BATHROOM

dMeYJE6.jpg

1Gq1JUW.jpg

MASTER BEDROOM

L0K9gEu.jpg

a4VASjW.jpg

XusEliQ.jpg

GUEST BATHROOM

O6TlqhP.jpg

EkdEMJf.jpg

OFFICE / FOSTER BUNNY ROOM

aBIYozF.jpg

WZ3OJxw.jpg

90xrlZa.jpg

girl, your home looks amazing then and now! looks more lived in now but it looks super comfy! i like the idea of cookbooks on the kitchen shelf. do they get greasy since its so close to your cooker? 

i also noticed you have a fiddle leaf fig plant! i reckon its real? i hope you have some tips for me. i bought 2 from IKEA and they were dropping leaves like mad the first few days i brought them home. now some of the bottom leaves are still turning brown gradually nearer to the stem. im watering them only once a week now and also misting the leaves often and they seem to be doing better. i did notice some white specks and im not sure whether they're just dust or spider mites/mealybugs. keeping my black thumbs crossed they will somehow survive. i read they will also freak out when moved around :huh: they seem so hardy but quite finicky tbh.

btw i adore your ghost chairs! regret choosing eames for mine and now thinking of these plastic ghost stools haha

nLyY829.jpg

Edited by matchalatte

17 hours ago, matchalatte said:

girl, your home looks amazing then and now! looks more lived in now but it looks super comfy! i like the idea of cookbooks on the kitchen shelf. do they get greasy since its so close to your cooker? 

i also noticed you have a fiddle leaf fig plant! i reckon its real? i hope you have some tips for me. i bought 2 from IKEA and they were dropping leaves like mad the first few days i brought them home. now some of the bottom leaves are still turning brown gradually nearer to the stem. im watering them only once a week now and also misting the leaves often and they seem to be doing better. i did notice some white specks and im not sure whether they're just dust or spider mites/mealybugs. keeping my black thumbs crossed they will somehow survive. i read they will also freak out when moved around :huh: they seem so hardy but quite finicky tbh.

btw i adore your ghost chairs! regret choosing eames for mine and now thinking of these plastic ghost stools haha

nLyY829.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but my plant is in a normal pot (no self-watering) and I water it a little about once every two days. My fiddle leaf surprisingly surviving! Also growing new leaves. 

Drop a few is normal imo, I just continue watering lor. I wipe down the leaves when I clean/dust. But I don’t mist it!