Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Glad to join this forum and start my own T-blog after silently reading and learning from so many seniors in here.

Currently awaiting my 2nd appt from HDB for my EM as I join the mini league of EM owners in here :).

Have appointed my ID after going thru 4 ID firms we have shortlisted due to their style and our feel of what we want with our 2nd home.

We are now seeking some help from fellow seniors in here for help on the following:

Where can we go to purchase the following items with the best prices or discounts:

1. Haiku Ceiling Fans

2. Rinnai Hobs & Hood

3. Fujioh Hoods

4. Toto WC

5. Any fellow forumers comments on Kohler WC?

4. Any recommendations on air cons systems (We have read Daikin, MHI and Mit Electric are the most reliable ones so far)
5. Any great electricians to recommend so I can get a 2nd quotation as compared to that provided by my ID to compare prices before deciding which to engage.

Sorry to start off with request but these are some of our current headaches we face and we are planning our purchases now after burning our pockets with the decision to overhaul of the EM unit we have purchased. :~

We had to do it since we are moving in with our young kids. Excited to start this little project here and hear all inputs from other home buyers here as well who have been thru this process more recently since the last time we did it was over 7 years ago on our 1st place and alot of these prices or things are since outdated by now.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi double,

You can check out my blog. I did buy most of the items you listed in my ongoing reno-fujioh, toto, haiku, aircon recommendations etc

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/71526-full-renovation-resale-condo/

I bought my haiku fan directly from Bigassfans at Park Mall. Its good to get their authorized installer to install the fan. I will be updating my haiku experience in detail soon.Thanks.

Thank you GreenBoi bro for the quick reply.

Made a trip down to Kohler today and only thing that tickled my fancy weird enough was their WC.

Anyone has experience to share about Kohler WC systems?:)

Just read about Bigassfans being in Singapore too and yes it does make sense to get from the main company when making an Investment into a haiku fan.

GreenBoi: any idea on warranty they offer for haiku fans models here in Singapore?

Thanks.

Just read about Bigassfans being in Singapore too and yes it does make sense to get from the main company when making an Investment into a haiku fan.

GreenBoi: any idea on warranty they offer for haiku fans models here in Singapore?

Thanks.

If i'm not wrong, the warranty is for 2 years.

Thanks. Will be writing out the details of work on my new place tonight as the list is quite massive.

We are doing a overhaul on the layout of our new EM unit this time around

Our Maisonette Floor Plan

We are unsure which gen our EM belongs to but this is definitely the newer layout with service balcony compared to the older EM units which are actual balcony layout.

gallery_69102_3_43639.jpg

Our Re-Modelling List of Works

The list of works includes:

1. Removal of 1st level study to convert into a dry kitchen / dining area

2. Converting half of the kitchen into our wet kitchen where hob, sink and cabinets will be

3. Converting MBR to 1st level from original MBR in 2nd level
4. New MBR will occupy the kitchen where WC 3 begins to service balcony to the living room area up till the stairs slope off
5. A small outdoor area will be carved out in balcony where the rubbish chute corner is to function as a wet play area for kids with the other remaining area of the balcony to function as study room within the MBR

6. Kitchen & WC 3 area to be converted into master shower toilet and walk in wardrobe

7. Redo the staircase railing

8. Change of current flooring to vinyl tiles in the house

9. Current MBR will become kids playroom or utility room in the house

10. Common bedrooms untouched just paint and flooring change

11. Converting WC1 & WC 2 into 1 toilet

Hope it all turns out well at the end of the reno. Fingers crossed.

Hi and congrats on your new place. Just a few thoughts for your consideration after staying a few years in a maisonette...

1. WC 3 is really really tiny. Even if you extend it (by max 60 cm only right?), I think the extension cannot be the wet area.

2. You mentioned kids. So maybe it makes sense to retain separate wc upstairs so that next time the kids have their own wc?

3. You may want to create a storeroom since the one under the stairs is woefully small.

4. Would be good to have a yard for mops, pails and stuff... Maybe whatever is retained of the balcony near the chute?

5. The dining area is really small... If you plan to use it as the living room, you may want to realign the stairs direction on the first floor (to go upwards from the kitchen direction instead of from the current dining room direction)

Just my kaypoh two cents. :) Good luck with your Reno!

Hi Adidaem senior :)

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.

1. No choice we will have to sacrifice by squeezing the shower and wc into 1 partition so actually toilet size keeps the same and as the shower & WC area but the kitchen area beside it will be part of the walk in with the vanity top as well.
2. both girls so they will have to work it out in future as the washing machine and dryer goes into the bathroom as well so we decided to create the bigger space but with only 1 access door with the other sealed up.

3. No real space for store but there will be a wall to wall wardrobe in kids playroom (original MBR) upstairs which will function as a storage area plus the "pathetic" area under the steps :jawdrop:

4. Yes we created a separate area in the service balcony for this purpose. Will attach a 3D later which might look clearer.

5. haha our living room is even smaller the space between the steps before the wall to our new MBR entrance. only a 2 seater sofa with tv console against the wall of the sloping staircase rails
We intend to leave the original dining area empty so that if we host then that area can become a open area for sitting.

Will post later about our ID selection decision and our intended design direction.

Thank you again for visiting :) feel honored.

Hello fellow EM owner!

The price of Haiku fans are unfortunately controlled. You shld buy it from an authorised dealer though so that they install it for you. I bought mine from Verde lights. You can also buy it from Phylux.

Thank you again for visiting :) feel honored.

Aiyo, we are all just fellow hdb dwellers lah. No need to feel honoured. Was just sharing some thoughts cos after staying in my place for a few years and adding some family members along the way I would renovate my place differently now. Lotsa storage would be good...

Enjoy the process! Both hubby and I kinda missed the shopping and stuff when the reno was over. :)

adidaem:I guess we are lucky that we have all the known members already accounted for in this reno:)

But yes we get what you mean because we are actually moving from an EM into another EM:)merely a change in location and environment and EM layout actually.

So we are changing out design route from current modern to the new scandi plue eclectic mix.

Shopping for stuff is a headache for us because lounging kids to these activities ain't making it easy and enjoyable as in the past when we were a couple. But still happy overall.

Hello fellow EM owner!

The price of Haiku fans are unfortunately controlled. You shld buy it from an authorised dealer though so that they install it for you. I bought mine from Verde lights. You can also buy it from Phylux.

Thanks and yes will probably get it from Phylux or Big *** Fans depending on availability of stock which seems to be the main reason now for who gets the deal. Tried the SPIN and felt the wind was not constant flow but in spurts so was left very disappointed though design was great.

ID Selection Process

We began our quest early because we know that we have no luxury with time line towards the reno for our new place. We negotiated for a 2 months extension which was then cut down to 1 1/2 months to facilitate our buyers who were also selling to purchase our current home. So yes to play our part we began our hunt early and this has led us to a simple shortlist of 4 companies to speak with based on what we see, heard and observe or know.

The 1st ID we met didn't give us the right feel as the designer was nice and took notes to all our requirements but company policy states that there would be a design fee of $2K for any suggestions or drawing to be done. (So basically to see their ideas for my place I need to fork out 2K first) Well its a big risk so we decline to move forward with this.

The 2nd ID was great and we are impressed and keen with the suggestions given to us but we did not move forward because we were looking for a different theme to our new place. The suggested plan and layout was great but it was still down the Modern look and route so we didn't want the 2nd home to look much similar to our 1st.

The 3rd was simply a initial meeting with a second meeting to be scheduled but it never occurred as designer told us they have to change the date of meeting to discuss layout plans a few days before the scheduled meeting. We were pretty put off by the way it was communicated and decided if this was how they handle things at the start it would be a risk to go any further forward.

Our 4th appointment was so happened to be our last scheduled one before we buckled down to hunting for batch 2 of ID firms. Well but 4th is a GEM. It took a long time to get our appt with this firm as the ID is not chosen by us but instead assigned by the company instead. So we were a little puzzled initially on how the arrangement was done but I guess its save to say we were impressed with the designer that was assigned to us.

Initial meeting was great and our designer took notes and asked questions about why we wanted things to be the way we suggested so as to know our habits and routines to go about the space planning process. She had her ideas but pretty much held it all back in the 1st meeting since it was more about us and what we wanted out of the space we were acquiring. But we both felt she seems to have a lot of ideas up her sleeves as shes always ready for another idea should her first suggestion to us does not hit our minds.

We left the meeting feeling good but still undecided because we didn't know or might not be prepared to know what the costing will come too knowing their works are great and an impressive portfolio in recent years under their belt. But safe to say we left with an open mind with come what may.

Each time we arranged and had a meeting with her she continues to impress us with her suggestions or counter proposals when we rejected her initial ideas so this made us feel really good and safe knowing we have a designer who is able to work with us and what we want for our home and is flexible versus a rigid mantra where we have seen some other designers adopt.

We can see and appreciate her effort and work into each proposals and being a bigger firm with many past projects they are thus familiar with the ever changing requirements of HDB and knowing which ideas may work and which are definitely thrown out the drain if ever submitted to HDB. This will safe a lot of precious time when it comes to permit applications which often is the main downer in project delays.

I think we had in the end like 4-5 meetings with her before we decided to hand the project over to her as we are finally convinced she's the right person for our job and she is the one we want to be working with as well. We managed to work out a figure that works for them (her and her boss) as well as for us (still high considering re-wiring and plumbing is not in the quotation-ouch). but we value people who shows they care about and for their work and want them to be happy working on our new home as we would want to be when we move into it.

So there you go, not much to go with but we are happy to have appointed one of the dream firm of our choice for our ID work and a splendid designer with great service and personality to be working with over the next couple of months with us and our new humble abode.

Thank you S...from Three D Conceptwerkez

We went into this search with an open mind and wanted someone with the right ideas to wow us within our requirements and budget and you have indeed surpass our expectations. Thank you.

Edited by doubleEM