Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Hi,

Would like to start my t-Blog about my 2 Room BTO journey. The idea to purchase a new flat comes to my mind in Nov 2014, browse thru HDB website and saw a sales of balance flat around my area. Only have 7 units of 2 Room and 2 units of 3 Room to choose, so I decided to try my luck on the 7 units of 2 Room. So I applied under married couple near parents scheme and also applied for register of marriage at the same time as I will need the marriage certificate. Good news came in Feb 2015 that I got a Queue No. 2 out of the 7 units available. Got my 1st choice as No.1 is not interested in my unit. R.O.M in March 2015 and with that certificate it complete the paper work for the purchase. HDB gave me my keys on June 2015. From Nov 2014 to the day I got my keys only 6 months, lightning fast, but thanks to Renotalk, which is where I get the most ideas about how to get my house renovated. So I decided to contribute and blog my progress here too.

The 2-Room BTO Floor Plan
2-Room BTO.jpg

Now my mood board.

I want a Platform bed so that I can save space when bed is not in use, just store mattress aside.

AMode1.jpg

Platform design which I like to incorporate into my room.
AMode2.jpg

Granite vanity top with granite front profile and recessed basin.
AMode3.jpg

My kitchen is microscopic yet I want to squeeze in a Blum Urban Kitchen
AMode4.jpg

My lighting will be focusing on Philips Hue Bulb for the mood effect.
AMode5.jpg

More to come soon as I am new to posting, still learning.

Edited by andotang
replace all missing pic, somehow the blog mess up all my posted pic

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Key Collection and Inspection

I got my keys early June 2015. Opened letter box first to get the tap key to turn on water supply. Then up I go to inspect the house. It was pretty nice as mine is premium with floor tiles done.

Shot from LV.

BFlat1.jpg

Mini Kitchen.
BFlat2.jpg

View from bedroom, hate this recessed wall.
BFlat3.jpg

I didn't expect to get such a big window for my toilet. Overwhelmed.
I am happy that I can do a sliding shower screen which a lot others cannot due to placement of basin and WC.
BFlat4.jpg

1 meter wide entrance for both toilet bifold door. Pretty solid bifold door.

BFlat5.jpg

But it comes with defect you can never imagine will happened.

BFlat6.jpg

And this is the nightmare I have on my toilet flooring at both entrance of toilet if I want to overlay it because the HDB toilet tiles is uneven due to the poorly shamfered tiles.

BFlat7.jpg

At this point I have not yet engage any ID as I am still planning how to go about to renovate my house. The lego style drain cover by HDB gave me a lot of problem if I want to overlay, because I cannot use back as height will be different after overlay, have to replace both beautiful bifold doors too as overlay increased the height and bifold cannot open. After overlay the toilet flooring will be higher then outside flooring and water will flow out, the original toilet flooring is about 3mm lower then outside flooring, after overlay will be at least 7mm higher then outside.

So I took a lot of time seeking solution to overlay this toilet, how to replace the lego style drain cover, most ID I spoken to cannot provide a solution and advise me better to just live with it is. Some suggested using a tiles that is wood like feeling but not real wood, usually used in outdoor flooring to cover the drain. None can really give a good solid answer.

The search for drain cover continues.

Anyone have this kind of drain in your toilet or anything similar to share?

Edited by andotang

It is a 47sqm, but it is different from others as my kitchen is smaller but bedroom is bigger then those mock up showflat at HDB Toa payoh. My room is about 3.6meter long.

Room door is a brown veneer door, very very heavy. Must keep if the color matches your theme but I throw this door away as I need a white door for hue theme to show colors. I didn't want to paint it over too as surface too smooth for paint to stick. So I will be getting a new door, cost about 1k, 3 times the price of a solid wood door.... better be good. I have not place order for it yet. Why I must get this expensive door is because it is the same laminate as my Blum Urban Kitchen that I ordered. We shall see. Will be posting my DIY project for this bedroom door soon.

The big toilet window is going to be the standard nowadays. What sort of defects did your bi-fold door have?

Your layout is very similar to mine, so I also will be camping here to see any updates! :D

Oh I thought it is very obvious for the defect, the color tone on the bottom right piece is wrong shade as compared to the other 3. Only chance upon this defect accidentally else i will not spot it too, got them to replace it but end up I throw away this door.

My DIY Project

While still planning how to do the renovation, I decided to remove the room door and paint the door frame white. Meantime I have booked appointment with BLUM to attend their sales event, they giving a 10% discount so I hope to get my kitchen done by them. Back to the door.

This is the door frame and it is very coarse, even if I get the painter to paint over with white paint, it probably will still look coarse.

CDoor1.jpg

So I armed myself with sandpaper and scraper and try to sand it down. Progress is slow and very tiring, so I intend to get a power sanding machine.

CDoor2.jpg

Went to self-fix and was recommended to use paint remover instead which is a much cheaper solution. Applied the paint remover then it is very easy however the chemical is so strong that it burned my hands, so I had to use a rubber gloves. Managed to strip to almost bare metal.

CDoor3.jpg

Then I clean it and paint over with nippon anti rust primer, didn't expect 1 can of paint not enough, got to buy another.

CDoor4.jpg

Likewise to the matt white paint, bought 2 and end up need a total of 4 cans. So my frame is now ready for the new glossy pearl white door from sunyu.

CDoor5.jpg

My ID removed this door and I have no idea what they did to it, I only request to keep all the hinges and knot. Actually can sell this perfectly good door online but I don't want to take all the trouble for SGD50.

CDoor6.jpg

At this time after I complete my DIY frame I had a ID in mind to do my renovation already but just need to iron out some details especially my toilet which cost the most. Will blog about my ID selection on a later part as I don't know how to write yet, renovation still in progress as of now so if not good, will not recommend but so far so good. Next is carpentry stage. I want to keep my blog slower then actual progress to detail out how I landed on every decision of my renovation.

Next post I think I will talk about what I throw away from my house before renovation other then the bedroom door.

Edited by andotang

My DIY Project

While still planning how to do the renovation, I decided to remove the room door and paint the door frame white. Meantime I have booked appointment with BLUM to attend their sales event, they giving a 10% discount so I hope to get my kitchen done by them. Back to the door.

This is the door frame and it is very coarse, even if I get the painter to paint over with white paint, it probably will still look coarse.

So I armed myself with sandpaper and scapper and try to sand it down. Progress is slow and very tiring, so I intend to get a power sanding machine.

Went to self-fix and was recommended to use paint remover instead which is a much cheaper solution. Applied the paint remover then it is very easy however the chemical is so strong that it burned my hands, so I had to use a rubber gloves. Managed to strip to almost bare metal.

Then I clean it and paint over with nippon anti rust primer, didn't expect 1 can of paint not enough, got to buy another.

Likewise to the matt white paint, bought 2 and end up need a total of 4 cans. So my frame is now ready for the new glossy pearl white door from sunyu.

My ID removed this door and I have no idea what they did to it, I only request to keep all the hinges and knot. Actually can sell this perfectly good door online but I don't want to take all the trouble for SGD50.
At this time after I complete my DIY frame I had a ID in mind to do my renovation already but just need to iron out some details especially my toilet which cost the most. Will blog about my ID selection on a later part as I don't know how to write yet, renovation still in progress as of now so if not good, will not recommend but so far so good. Next is carpentry stage. I want to keep my blog slower then actual progress to detail out how I landed on every decision of my renovation.
Next post I think I will talk about what I throw away from my house before renovation other then the bedroom door.

WOW~ You do it until so professional.... :thumbs up:

Can't wait to see more of your pic & reno.

Hi andotang

Add me to your growing list of followers.

It's good you have concrete ideas on the design for your flat.

The bigger the toilet window, the easier it is for "fumes" to escape.