Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Work in Progress.

Finally worked out all the details with my ID and work is officially underway. Most work will be done on the toilet. Other area only light carpentry and false ceiling.

On the first day, materials arrived and protection sheet up.

HStart1.jpg

Bedroom side toilet bi-fold door removed. So much damage to the tiles because the door frame is cemented to it. Luckily I reduced door size so patching up and make good the wall is included in the job scope.

HStart2.jpg

Kitchen side bi-fold also removed and entrance size reduced too.

HStart3.jpg

Wash Basin removed and throw.

HStart4.jpg

Toilet Bowl also removed and buying a Baron W888 to replace it. It was the water tap from this WC that I found out the water pressure to my house is very strong as it is not being filtered by water saving feature from the tap HDB supplied.

HStart5.jpg

Tiler arrived and suggest to overlay onto the drain cover instead of getting a custom made metal grating, that means the drain will be sealed with cement and cover with floor tiles. This save me money and trouble to get the metal grating which might rust. So I agree to proceed. It was a blessing as later I saw a raised shower platform design and can fit perfectly into my overlaying project. From this picture you can also see how much height is increased after you overlay, it will be higher then my bed room floor, as such I will be doing a granite kerb to both entrance.

HStart6.jpg

More about the toilet coming soon.

Edited by andotang
replace all missing pic, somehow the blog mess up all my posted pic

Tiler arrived and suggest to overlay onto the drain cover instead of getting a custom made metal grating, that means the drain will be sealed with cement and cover with floor tiles. This save me money and trouble to get the metal grating which might rust. So I agree to proceed. It was a blessing as later I saw a raised shower platform design and can fit perfectly into my overlaying project. From this picture you can also see how much height is increased after you overlay, it will be higher then my bed room floor, as such I will be doing a granite kerb to both entrance.

If you seal off the drain opening, where will the water drain off? In my previous place, I had a kerb going into the shower area, and I sometimes trip over it.

On 31/08/2015 at 3:15 PM, kstoh said:

If you seal off the drain opening, where will the water drain off? In my previous place, I had a kerb going into the shower area, and I sometimes trip over it.

I hope these 2 pictures I posted before give you an idea. Basically the drain is gone and replaced with tiles, my platform shower tiles helps to channel water to the floortrap on the left in the pic. Granite on doorway not installed yet to complete the water channeling.

DThrow6.jpg

GTiles6.jpg

Edited by andotang

Evorich Platform for Bedroom.

I approached Evorich directly to secure a deal for my bedroom platform. Got quote from some ID and they are using Rubber Laminate which I worried got rubber smell, also worried that they might cut corners and give me some weird kind of materials, as I have also gotten quote for the platform at 1/4 of the normal price if I can accept the basic ready-made kinds of lego platform. ID told me Evorich is good but expensive. As i don't want a thin laminate on top of those planks, I head to Evorich head office and talked to the manager there. Prices is cheaper then what all ID have quoted me, as such I paid my first confirmed deal for the house even before i engaged my ID. Paid for a platform bed with pelmet for cove lighting, and a slanting bed head instead of straight so I can sit comfortably leaning my back on it. Once wet work is done, now it is time for Evorich to come.

The bedroom where the platform will be installed. Wiring for the lighting is already done as the wires need to be hidden under the platform.

JEvorich1.jpg

Skeleton work in progress and I am doing a 5 inch platform to cover the wood skirting.

JEvorich2.jpg

Pelmet for lighting.

JEvorich3.jpg

Covering it up and laying of HERF next.

JEvorich4.jpg

And the final product. I tried jumping on it and it is solid like cement floor. No hollow feeling. The HERF itself already very heavy, I tried carrying and omg.....

JEvorich5.jpg

So I am half way there as compared to my mood board.

AMode1.jpg

If you noticed I keep spacing at the bed head to build a pillar to look like this to install my 2 pendant light for Hue bulb.

AMode2.jpg

Looking forward to my carpentry installation, Choosing the Laminate for them is very tough decision which I will cover in another post.
Edited by andotang

so do you plan to put 2 single bed on the platform?

Yes. Intend to get Ikea single bed cos they are 200mm length, normal local bed only 190mm, my toes have been sleeping on air everyday. Also currently using a queen bed only 150mm width, having 2 single give me 180mm width, it is consider a upgrade. When I need space I stash the mattress aside, if queen size cannot stash. Disadvantage is probably there is a gap in between 2 mattress.

wow! you must be tall!

If there is no bed frame, just 2 mattresses side by side should be fine, unless the mattress moves.

Note that you have to get your bed sheets only from Ikea if you are buying ikea mattress.

andotang - Thanks for your post about HERF, I didn't know such a product exists. I was thinking about using either vinyl or laminate flooring but my research now indicates that HERF is better.

mmoh - Your warning about Ikea, is it because their beds are European-sized?

wow! you must be tall!

If there is no bed frame, just 2 mattresses side by side should be fine, unless the mattress moves.

Note that you have to get your bed sheets only from Ikea if you are buying ikea mattress.

Yup I am aware of that. But I am thinking of getting the MUJI cotton bedsheet which looks more comfortable and got chance the size will fit too as they also don't follow local bed size. Maybe I will even buy MUJI mattress too.

Toilet Renovation

The majority of wet work done is in the toilet as I did not intend to build any cement base in the kitchen, created so much dust due to hacking of wall tiles. I am posting progressive pictures to show the progress step by step just for my own record. I reduced both doors by 30cm, make good all walls to flush. Overlay flooring and made a shower platform.

View from master bedroom, extend wall 30cm, make good the wall.

KToilet1.jpg

Same door but view from inside the toilet. The extended wall give me more shower area else will be splashing water on the door if never extend.

KToilet4.jpg

View from kitchen toilet entrance. Also extend wall 30cm and this wall is thicker.

KToilet3.jpg

View from toilet for kitchen side. Extend this wall so that I can make a 40cm depth vanity top.

KToilet2.jpg

Flooring as overlayed with shower screen kerb and platform shower.

KToilet5.jpg

Bedroom side entrance, made a granite kerb to complete the water channeling for the platform. Use floor trap in the picture to imagine as camera angle is different.

KToilet6.jpg

The same to the kitchen side, ugly plastic cover is gone, now with a camouflage floor trap. The main floor trap is beside WC so this camouflage one is just redundant. It can be opened with a scraper.

KToilet7.jpg

This is the current state of kitchen side entrance pending glass door installation. I yet to decide to swing in or swing out for the door.

KToilet8.jpg

Current state of bathroom pending heater and fixture installation. Aircon trucking is installed and it is a tight squeeze. I didn't expect trucking to be so big and luckily it managed to fit right into the space. It does protrude out a little at the doorway but there is a door frame to be installed so will not affect door from swing in. Learned my lesson that next time must pre-plan all aircon trucking route especially the drainage pipe.

KToilet9.jpg

Been walking on this tile while doing some cleaning and totally loving the dry feel.

KToilet10.jpg

Pending carpentry work for vanity to complete the toilet. I am happy with the way the toilet is now. Better then I expected.

Edited by andotang