Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes. Intend to get Ikea single bed cos they are 200mm length, normal local bed only 190mm, my toes have been sleeping on air everyday. Also currently using a queen bed only 150mm width, having 2 single give me 180mm width, it is consider a upgrade. When I need space I stash the mattress aside, if queen size cannot stash. Disadvantage is probably there is a gap in between 2 mattress.

You can place a thicker mattress protector in between eradicate that "in-between" line. Ikea has good ones.

Did you or your ID have to get HDB's permission for the toilet wet works?

And this too. According to what I know, extension of toilet wet areas are not allowed under any conditions, and particularly stricter when no alteration is permitted for new BTO flats. How did you go about it?

Edited by 43atCR

Did you or your ID have to get HDB's permission for the toilet wet works?

I did check with the ID before work started. She said no need as I did not hack or demolish any floor/wall which could hurt the water proofing.

Progress Update.

Just some progress update happening in the house.

Lighting point up. I think I installed too much lighting point. Being kiasu and wanted more hue bulb to get mood effect.

LProgress1.jpg

False ceiling done and bomb shelter ventilation hole patched.

LProgress2.jpg

These lighting point will be covered with a carpentry wood beam to hide my down light, prefer wood beam with laminate instead of false ceiling here.

LProgress3.jpg

Citygas piping installed as Blum Urban Kitchen is coming soon.

LProgress4.jpg

Found this filter inside the washing machine tap. Just sharing with people how small the hole is that's why water so weak.

LProgress5.jpg

Found this inside the floor trap. Pretty thoughtful of HDB. My current house have nothing inside the floor trap except filthy stuff.

LProgress6.jpg

Yet to share any of my electrical purchase as I have not buy my washing machine and fridge. I do however purchased all my lighting already which I will cover in future posting after they are installed.

Edited by andotang
replace all missing pic, somehow the blog mess up all my posted pic

Hi Andotang

I'm thinking of installing a false ceiling but am worried about maintenance (e.g. cleaning out insects and dust inside) and sturdiness (to hold ceiling fan). Is your false ceiling permanently sealed?

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. I'm kooking forward to your future post on the Philips Hue light bulbs.

Hi Andotang

I'm thinking of installing a false ceiling but am worried about maintenance (e.g. cleaning out insects and dust inside) and sturdiness (to hold ceiling fan). Is your false ceiling permanently sealed?

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. I'm kooking forward to your future post on the Philips Hue light bulbs.

Need false ceiling to hide all the ugly lighting cables, else you will have to use those industrial piping or common wire trunking which I don't like. Very hard to plan my lighting route and have them all concealed. I am not installing a ceiling fan on a false ceiling, it is too low might hit your head, you have to keep the ceiling fan area clear of false ceiling unless you have a condo height. This add to the difficulty in planning your false ceiling coverage. I didn't want any cove light as my hue already give me the mood effect, so I have them all sealed. HDB only give 1 standard lighting point in the center of the room, you need to crack your wit how to spread around the room if you don't install false ceiling. You need some ways to hide your lighting point without having a ugly wire trunking.

I think my hue is hard to show by pictures, need a video to bring glory to it, but I don't know how to add video to this forum.

Need false ceiling to hide all the ugly lighting cables, else you will have to use those industrial piping or common wire trunking which I don't like. Very hard to plan my lighting route and have them all concealed. I am not installing a ceiling fan on a false ceiling, it is too low might hit your head, you have to keep the ceiling fan area clear of false ceiling unless you have a condo height. This add to the difficulty in planning your false ceiling coverage. I didn't want any cove light as my hue already give me the mood effect, so I have them all sealed. HDB only give 1 standard lighting point in the center of the room, you need to crack your wit how to spread around the room if you don't install false ceiling. You need some ways to hide your lighting point without having a ugly wire trunking.

I think my hue is hard to show by pictures, need a video to bring glory to it, but I don't know how to add video to this forum.

you can upload the video to youtube and type the link as below

A DIY strip light using the philips hue system

Edited by Ahyong81

I think I get your plan now: You are installing wooden beams around the perimeters of your living room to hide the lighting wires and installing your fan on the actual ceiling at the living room centre.

I know the standard living room is very small but one lighting point provided by HDB doesn't seem enough.

After you mentioned using the Phillips Hue Lights, I did some research and realised it's a long-lasting and versatile product. One bulb, so many colours. No need to get different bulbs to replicate different light tones. The only downside is the price.

My Purchase 1

These are some of my confirmed purchase so far.

After browsing through tons of toilet bowl, I decide to get this for 2 reasons, I like this cover design and the clean design so bacteria don't stuck in difficult corners like some model which have exposed screw. Baron W888 with UF-05 Seat Cover.

MPurchase1.jpg

Decided to get this compact water heater as it is long and slim rather then usual fat and short design. This long and slim would fit nicely into the space allocated by HDB. First time buying this brand, hopefully it is good. They seems to be a premium water heater manufacturer. AOSmith EWSH-25.

MPurchase2.jpg

Aircon choice. Starmex. Usually for 2 fan coil just need the MXY-2E20VA 20000BTU and 2 x 9k would be sufficient. My living room is bigger then bedroom and I am not making a door to block out aircon to the kitchen. Hence I need a bigger btu for living room, as such when the living room aircon is on, the kitchen will be cool too. So I decided to buy the MXY-3A28VA 28000BTU for system 3 but using only a 9k MSY-GE10VA and a MSY-GE18VA 18k fan coil. With these I hope everyday I just need to turn on the 18k fan coil and whole house including bedroom and kitchen would be cooled.

MPurchase3.jpg

I do not want to keep boiling water everyday to drink, need a kettle and a boiler. I want to do away with all those to save table space and just get a hot and cold water dispenser which is connected to water supply so we don't have to keep topping up water. So I found the 3M Hot and Cold Water dispenser and they are having a promotion islandwide for around 1.4k. So I contacted the distributor for a salesman to visit me. When asked about warranty, the salesman cannot answer confidently about the 1 year warranty and have to make calls back to office to check, which makes me very uncomfortable to buy on the spot so I say give me a few days to think about it. Couldn't find any better one that I like so I contacted the salesman to come collect deposit from me, he asked me to bank transfer to them citing carpark charges as reason for not coming down. I strike him off the list, even if I have to buy, I will buy from self-fix. I am lucky he didn't come down too as I saw Hydroflux posting in this forum and contacted them. Hydroflux give a better warranty coverage, although initial payment is higher then 3M but I get very good warranty for the machine as compared to the 1 year from 3M. So I purchased on the spot. I do the maths and it works out to about 1 dollar per day which is reasonable for me. Even 2 dollars I also think it is worth it. But well, yet to drink any alkaline water from it yet. I don't really need the alkaline water, I just lazy to boil water everyday. Hydroflux WPU-9902C White.

MPurchase4.jpg

Decided to change all the standard switch from HDB to Legrand switches, so as to make all switches in the house same standard, otherwise will be very ugly with all different shade of white switches. These are pretty affordable and they have a few outlet islandwide. Legrand Mallia Switches.

MPurchase5.jpg

More purchases on next posting.

Edited by andotang

My Purchase 2

More confirmed purchase.

Single bowl sink from Otto which allow me to put their chop board on top and a drain mat as I have no table space for light cutting. At first wanted the Klaus recommended by fellow renotalkers but I am not good at making purchase from amazon.

MPurchase6.jpg

Wash basin for toilet had to be semi recessed as my vanity top is only 40cm. Not many choices of semi recessed out there and I see this from Otto which is big and might as well buy together with the kitchen sink.

MPurchase7.jpg

Not wanting to have a dustbin around the floor in the kitchen, I squeezed this build in counter top dustbin into my urban kitchen right beside the sink.

MPurchase8.jpg

Also bought a soap dispenser for the kitchen sink.

MPurchase9.jpg

Edited by andotang

My Purchase 1

Decided to get this compact water heater as it is long and slim rather then usual fat and short design. This long and slim would fit nicely into the space allocated by HDB. First time buying this brand, hopefully it is good. They seems to be a premium water heater manufacturer. AOSmith EWSH-25.

Can I know how much u bought ur AOsmith water heater? And does it come w the control panel?

Can I know how much u bought ur AOsmith water heater? And does it come w the control panel?

The price is 365 b4 gst with free delivery. Doesn't come with control panel, only the high end model comes with it. Not touching those high end model as I wanted the slim design. I would consider them if my house is big and have budget for it. One of the t-blogger bought it.

My Purchase 3

Even more purchases.

Bought this 1000x600mm mirror for toilet. As first I thought having a build in mirror together with carpentry will look seamless but after reading some blogger says the mirror started having spot due to some mercury defect within 6 months of usage, it is very hard to replace a carpentry mirror myself. Fearing this, I decided to have a wall hung mirror which is easily replaceable. Not to mention I saved some money by not doing a carpentry mirror as they count by per sqft, buying a mirror myself is a lot cheaper, and if got spot or crack, just buy new one of same size and hang.

MPurchase10.jpg

Saw this Grohe Rainshower on offer and comes with a front tap which I need. So I measure and measure make sure can fit before making my purchase. I did see hansgrohe too but this offer win them all. Euphoria 180

MPurchase11.jpg

Pendant light for living room. Choose this to prevent light leaking into the ceiling fan and then I will get blinking effect from ceiling fan due to casted shadow.

MPurchase12.jpg

Pendant Light x2 for Bedroom Hue bulb. Need white color so when I choose a color on the hue, it will enhance whatever color I choosed.

MPurchase13.jpg

Bought this on impulse cos cheap and I like green. This is for bedroom daylight.

MPurchase14.jpg

Bought the daylight bulb for kitchen, bomb shelter and toilet as I don't think a hue bulb is appropriate. This is also the downlight that I will be fixing all my hue bulb onto. Only about $10 a piece, very cheap. So can invest in hue. Don't know why this picture got auto rotated and I couldn't rotate it back.

MPurchase15.jpg

Finally the hue bulb, light stripe and hue tap. I bought them all during promotion which saved a lot of money. Bought 3 starter kit so that I can keep the other 2 hue controller as backup in case it spoil, else hard to buy the controller alone. 2 light stripe for evorich platform and shoe cabinet. 2 hue tap for convenient of having 8 preset theme without using handphone to adjust. I think this picture got auto inverted too. Don't know how it happened and couldn't retify.

MPurchase16.jpg

Sigh... hope image is not rotated or inverted.

Edited by andotang