Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Final Stage

Approaching the final stage of my renovation. Mostly minor touch-up and finishing touch.

Redoing/extending my wooden skirting to blend the Besglas wardrobe to look like built into the wall. The missing skirting part is the new partition board wall for the wardrobe. A 40cm width mirror will hang on this partition wall.

VDining7.jpg

Got my ID to modify this carpentry as it is too long and pointy. Got it shorter and cut off the pointy angle. Lesson learned about carpentry, never have pointy angle around common walk path.

VDining8.jpg

Many wrote to HDB to complaint the strong wind is slamming this toilet windows as hinges too loose not enough strength. So BSC came to install this old school hinges to lock the windows in place complimentary of HDB. But the protruding tip of this metal rod might be poking my windows blind.

VDining9.jpg

Windows blind is installed so that I can keep my big toilet window opened while showering. Without this, everytime showering must close windows, then open after showering otherwise no airflow in the toilet. I combined views from both entrance into one picture.

VDining10.jpg

Black out vertical blind installed in bedroom. Light Grey. At first wanted venetian blind but gave up as 3x the price of vertical, also hard to open windows as mine is push out and not sliding. Must lift up venetian everytime just to open windows doesn't make sense. Thru the gap of venetian too narrow.

VDining11.jpg

Non black out vertical blind in living room. Mint colour. And why not a curtain, because the first time when I view the house before I purchase, the wind is so strong that even the curtain will be blow up, and I have a ceiling fan within curtain reach, so very potential danger of curtain caught in the ceiling fan due to my small house.

VDining12.jpg

Bedroom window's view, unblocked view so strong wind is possible if wind direction is in favour of my windows direction. Seems to be seasonal as no wind during june to oct, now nov start getting windy.

VDining13.jpg

Stick my camera out of windows and shot this. Happy with my view until I just saw the SOBF Nov 2015, my same unit but on the 28 Floor is opened for sale. Was thinking how I wish I could have gotten that unit on my upper floor now I only half of that. Just bad timing. Anyway I should be thankful I balloted queue no.2. for SOBF exercise.

VDining14.jpg

Ikea bed 2 x single 90x200cm. As not many 200cm single mattress out there, this fit my budget well too, cannot afford a few thousand dollars mattress anymore, exhausted my reserve after all the purchase already. In the background is my hanging mirror and wall shelf also from Ikea.

VDining15.jpg

Washing machine and fridge coming this week too and then my ID gonna hang up my wall photo and fixture then I got to pay the final amount to ID. Will move in next weekend.

Edited by andotang
replace all missing pic, somehow the blog mess up all my posted pic

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Random Update.

Here's some random update, been busy doing cleaning as will be moving in this sunday. Even though renovation is completed, still got a lot of last minute stuffs to buy, like toiletries, household items and they easily comes up to a few hundred dollars or even thousand which I did not cater for it to be so much, so my reserve tank is really empty now. When u buy a pillow, do you buy a pillow protector? If yes, you probably will buy a bolster protector too, that's where all the money add up.

Bought my Panasonic Fridge NR-BL347P for the depth of 611mm and it flush nicely into the space I planned for it.

WCompleted1.jpg

Can see how the fridge flush in. So far fridge very cold except lights quite dim, but overall happy with the depth and height for this purchase. You can also see my Panasonic Washer NA-140VG4 which is 10KG load and bought at $990 with free delivery and $150 NTUC voucher. Had my first wash and noise level is pretty good, I like the quick 15 min wash function as very convenient if only got few pieces to wash.

WCompleted2.jpg

Tower rack for bathroom from Ikea. Just wanted to buy the ENUDDEN Wall Shelf with 4 knobs which Msbunny bought from her blog, but this item Ikea always no stock. So bought this one as no advice when the next shipment will be in. The toilet paper dispenser is from Otto and I bought it for the reason to be able to put my handphone on it when going into the bathroom, how many of you have this habit too?

WCompleted3.jpg

Took a aerial shot of my bathroom. Yet to clean it properly after the reno. Too much to clean, 4 walls and even the false ceiling vent also must clean as it is very dirty.

WCompleted4.jpg

Finally installed my Philips Hue Lightstripe into my living room cabinet.

WCompleted5.jpg

Which is the same as my platform bed, both controllable by Apps or Philips Hue Tap. Had my old Ikea 1 meter Mirrored Door wardrobe moved from old house to new house. Those mirror door from Ikea, so bloody heavy.

WCompleted6.jpg

My Sitoca Cad/Cam computer table and Ikea Wall Shelf. As I have no Feature Wall and TV console, this will be my daily entertainment instead of a TV. I have DVB-C tuner in my computer to watch free to air digital tv over cable point from the wall and I can download all movies and drama from the net so there is no need for TV for me.

WCompleted7.jpg

Another view of the computer table, some fellow renotalker might find it familiar as they visited my place. I sat down on it for the first time for my meal yesterday and happen to see outside my window, then I realized the view was very nice, especially from my rattan chair, the height from it just provide me a very good view through the lowest window panel. No wonder they commented my view is superb, they experienced it before me.

WCompleted8.jpg

More updates soon.

Edited by andotang

More Updates.

Finally removed all the laminate protection to see my urban kitchen. White glossy pearl laminate, probably hard to maintain. But I like the looks.

WCompleted9.jpg

I also like it that there is no cement base needed, if I need to replace the whole kitchen cabinet next time, no need to hack or make good any wall and only a few holes is put into the wall for the wall hung cabinet. I can reinstate my kitchen back to original state without hacking tiles.

WCompleted10.jpg

Also my new door is installed, same laminate as kitchen cabinet, can see the reflection of my dining table cos highly reflective.

WCompleted11.jpg

Then I bought this rubber to cushion the door frame for softer closing.

WCompleted12.jpg

Also bought this fan after seeing doubleEM one under his desk, think different model from his but looking good.

WCompleted13.jpg

My 2 x 90x200cm Ikea mattress to make a king size bed. As mentioned before, I wanted a 200cm instead of 190cm. Which also mean I can only get Ikea bed sheet. Tried Muji cotton bedsheet but doesn't fit nicely.

WCompleted14.jpg

Wifey wanted this quilt looking blanket but I feel color ta match but she like it so bought it. Other then color, size is good. Save me the trouble of having a quilt with quilt cover, more money and more washing.

WCompleted15.jpg

I also played around with the lighting. Daylight, Warm Light and Magenta.

WCompleted16.jpg

Red, Green and Blue. These are just for cosmetic looks as it is not a practical color for everyday use. Bought the hue bulb hoping to be long lasting and can get all different shade of warmlight to daylight. but these red green blue thing is too extreme.

WCompleted17.jpg

Officially moved in 29 Nov 2015 and first time sleeping there last night. Woke up like a blur sotong as not used to the routine there yet.

Edited by andotang

Hi andotang,

I would like to have some minor renovation for my studio house (approx. 45sqm) for floor ceiling, carpentry & electricity work. I just got my house key yesterday (9/12/15). But I only can decide what I going to do from 20/12/15 onwards after discuss with my feng shui master. My studio house was partially furnished, I need to have some minor additional work to be carry on my bedroom & living room. Due to minor renovation, can you please pm me your ID or contractor number if they don't mind do for minor renov.

Thanks

Hi andotang,

I would like to have some minor renovation for my studio house (approx. 45sqm) for floor ceiling, carpentry & electricity work. I just got my house key yesterday (9/12/15). But I only can decide what I going to do from 20/12/15 onwards after discuss with my feng shui master. My studio house was partially furnished, I need to have some minor additional work to be carry on my bedroom & living room. Due to minor renovation, can you please pm me your ID or contractor number if they don't mind do for minor renov.

Thanks

PM-ed. The tiler did a good job for my toilet overlay. I have met a ID who tell me to outsource my carpentry work because he said "if my carpenter comes down and only do little work, not worth the trouble". Probably because he couldn't earn the carpentry work for my kitchen which I outsourced to Blum. My current ID did my project for less then 20k which is consider a small project to them. Now I already moved in about 10 days, I haven't even paid my last payment of $4800 and she never chase me also. Never once during renovation she chased me for payment, I automatically pay according to progress. I understand your concern as some ID don't take up small project as not much profit for them.

Hi, do you mind sharing the cost of your hue lighting and where did you get them?

Pm-ed. I would also suggest you buy at least 1 Hue Tap so you can preset 4 settings without the need to access the apps to change colors or brightness. I preset them at 25%, 60% and 100% Brightness and Off. This way I can choose the brightness I need to save electricity. Oh and I forgot to mention in Pm the Philips E27 downlight holder is $10 each.

Moved In. Aftermath Part 1.

First thing after moving in, I have to settle for the door lock. I didn't want to spend 1k to use digital lock. I also find it troublesome to have so many keys. Therefore decided to go for Duro master lock. One key for all access.

I have no idea how to change the lock myself, seems pretty complicate if you don't know how to remove the bolt. As it turn out, actually it is so easy cos only need to remove 1 screw. Before buying lock I still think must pay for people to change or ask ID to help install. End up I do it all myself.

This is front gate, I changed the cylinder only.

XLock1.jpg

Letter box I also changed. I checked whole block.... I am the only one changed letter box lock, seems like not a popular thing to do. But I don't want so many keys, just 1 master key so had to change. Picture look like never closed properly because if using the new lock the metal piece inside a little different, must use back old lock metal piece inside then can close seamlessly. Very simple job to change just need a adjustable spanner.

XLock2.jpg

Main door cylinder, before and after pic, very easy to change, just 1 screw and within a minute it is done.

XLock3.jpg

These are the 3 locks I bought which is the Duro DMS V/3B for $168. So now I use 1 key for my letterbox, main door and main gate.

XLock4.jpg

However I don't know if i should buy this pad lock or not, cos currently I have no pad lock, if install this one, then I have to lock main door, main gate, padlock, 3 things... now I only lock 2 things already troublesome. This pad lock is going at $138 and I need to pay another $20 to configure the lock to use my same master key. If really buy already, I think maybe no need lock the main gate lock, so only need to lock 2 things, but then, it goes back to square one. Might as well just lock main gate and forget this padlock. So I put this on hold and just live without a pad lock first.

XLock5.jpg

So instead of digital lock, I spend $168 to use 1 master key system. Disadvantage so far is it only comes with standard 4 master keys. For bigger family probably 4 keys not enough, I don't know how much they charge to make extra master key.

XLock6.jpg

I will update more aftermath soon.
Edited by andotang

• Like 1

Moved In. Aftermath Part 2.

After moving in, bought a lot of suction cups hanger for bath towel, hand towel and table cloth. And then I realized luckily I didn't put any shelves on the kitchen wall and now I can use this blank space to put his and her bath towel. If without this space, I really don't know where else I can keep our bath towel in such a small house.

XSuction7.jpg

Suction cup again for utensils as I don't want to drill to damage the wall tiles.

XSuction8.jpg

Suction cup Key holder and Simple Human grocery bag dispenser for $23.

XSuction9.jpg

Bought some S hook to put into bombshelter rack to hang things.

XSuction10.jpg

Been using the Baron W888 for 2 weeks now and so far so good. Read on forums that some said need 2 flush but mine usually 1 flush. I also had a very powerful bidet spray which can jet down any stubborn dirt easily. Think I need to get a longer bidet pipe so I can jet down the aircon outdoor unit on rainy days.

XSuction11.jpg

Also found this spot under the wash basin to keep his and her laundry basket, totally never planned for this purpose as first time owning a wet and dry toilet, old house just put outside toilet door, now new house so small, lucky my mum tell me not to built any cupboard under the basin so we can spray wash it easily without damaging carpentry. So I am very happy to use this space as laundry basket now to free up space in kitchen.

XSuction12.jpg

Lastly, my Ikea 160x40cm wall hung mirror. It was mounted on partition board wall for wardrobe so cannot be too heavy. The red pail was suppose to keep in bombshelter, but it takes up a lot of space, so I double it up as a dustbin in the living room to free up bomshelter space.

XSuction13.jpg

Edited by andotang

Hi, can i get your advise where did you get the Duro cylinders done?

Moved In. Aftermath Part 1.

First thing after moving in, I have to settle for the door lock. I didn't want to spend 1k to use digital lock. I also find it troublesome to have so many keys. Therefore decided to go for Duro master lock. One key for all access.

I have no idea how to change the lock myself, seems pretty complicate if you don't know how to remove the bolt. As it turn out, actually it is so easy cos only need to remove 1 screw. Before buying lock I still think must pay for people to change or ask ID to help install. End up I do it all myself.

This is front gate, I changed the cylinder only.

Letter box I also changed. I checked whole block.... I am the only one changed letter box lock, seems like not a popular thing to do. But I don't want so many keys, just 1 master key so had to change. Picture look like never closed properly because if using the new lock the metal piece inside a little different, must use back old lock metal piece inside then can close seamlessly. Very simple job to change just need a adjustable spanner.
Main door cylinder, before and after pic, very easy to change, just 1 screw and within a minute it is done.
These are the 3 locks I bought which is the Duro DMS V/3B for $168. So now I use 1 key for my letterbox, main door and main gate.
However I don't know if i should buy this pad lock or not, cos currently I have no pad lock, if install this one, then I have to lock main door, main gate, padlock, 3 things... now I only lock 2 things already troublesome. This pad lock is going at $138 and I need to pay another $20 to configure the lock to use my same master key. If really buy already, I think maybe no need lock the main gate lock, so only need to lock 2 things, but then, it goes back to square one. Might as well just lock main gate and forget this padlock. So I put this on hold and just live without a pad lock first.

So instead of digital lock, I spend $168 to use 1 master key system. Disadvantage so far is it only comes with standard 4 master keys. For bigger family probably 4 keys not enough, I don't know how much they charge to make extra master key.

I will update more aftermath soon.

Hi, can i get your advise where did you get the Duro cylinders done?

You can purchase at Duro sales and service centre in Shun Li Industrial Park and they will take about 30min if you need to configure your lock. It is their showroom, office, warehouse and workshop all in the same place. duro.com.sg

Moved In. Aftermath Part 3.

Here is my home entertainment and where I spend most of my time on it. As mentioned I have no feature wall or tv and sofa, and i am glad because really no space to accommodate them in my 2 room bto, every inch of space is precious. ikea wall shelf, cheap and practical. Hooks underneath is very useful. Hidden all my cables and wires into the Sitoca cable compartment already yet still very unsighting but at least all excess cables not dangling around on table top.

XSuction14.jpg

Asked ID to drill ceiling hooks for me around the house so i can hang christmas and CNY decorations. Ultimately will be getting some green garland to hang around the house for some greenery as wife forbid me to get real plant fearing ants. Added a Muji wall clock too few days ago. Also a Muji table clock with temperature indication so I can decide whether to turn on aircon.

XSuction15.jpg

The space behind my entertainment centre is used to dry our clothing as we removed the ceiling one in the kitchen provided my HDB. The custom made bar height dining table really served it's purpose, we hanged our daily clothing there when changing into working clothes. Can also push my rattan chair underneath it to make space. Moved in almost a month now and I yet to buy both of my ceiling fan. Haiku is moving office to tampines and they will be having some promo on Jan 16, so that would be a good time to buy my bedroom fan, they never give discount or free gift, so this event is the only chance to get some benefit from bigass. Each fan is $1249 before gst and also need $80 for installation. Really not cheap. So think I will only buy 1 for the bedroom as we sleep over 8 hours every night so the electrical bill saving there can be substantial. As for the living room, I only spend about 3 hours on my computer daily so no point buy a haiku, will be getting a normal DC fan with reverse function. Saw the 52" Aero from Phylux which is actually the Elmark DC fan for half the price of haiku and after seeing sapphire89 blogged the picture, that one is on top of my list now. All DC fan really expensive, start from $600 up. I am glad my house is pretty cozy as temperature always around 28 degree without aircon, probably due to weather this time around the year is cooler. When sleeping in bedroom, no need even turn on aircon as it is quite cool, I am guessing the cold wind outside blow my room wall until very cold, so room become cool and I don't have any electronic in the room which produce heat. And we don't even open our windows fearing dust attack. So it is a blessing to get such good condition for sleeping. Moved in 28 days only turn on room aircon 3 times. Now become must force myself to turn on aircon because if aircon too long never on can spoil.

XSuction16.jpg

Merry Christmas 2016 everyone.

Edited by andotang

Thanks for sharing your journey.

You have many similar approaches to mine, (no kitchen hood, no feature wall or TV, double single beds etc.) so it was really helpful for me to see it in reality.