Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andotang

2 Room Bto Themeless With Philips Hue Lighting

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 12/16/2015 at 2:25 PM, andotang said:

Moved In. Aftermath Part 1.

First thing after moving in, I have to settle for the door lock. I didn't want to spend 1k to use digital lock. I also find it troublesome to have so many keys. Therefore decided to go for Duro master lock. One key for all access.

I have no idea how to change the lock myself, seems pretty complicate if you don't know how to remove the bolt. As it turn out, actually it is so easy cos only need to remove 1 screw. Before buying lock I still think must pay for people to change or ask ID to help install. End up I do it all myself.

This is front gate, I changed the cylinder only.

XLock1

Letter box I also changed. I checked whole block.... I am the only one changed letter box lock, seems like not a popular thing to do. But I don't want so many keys, just 1 master key so had to change. Picture look like never closed properly because if using the new lock the metal piece inside a little different, must use back old lock metal piece inside then can close seamlessly. Very simple job to change just need a adjustable spanner.

XLock2

Main door cylinder, before and after pic, very easy to change, just 1 screw and within a minute it is done.

XLock3

These are the 3 locks I bought which is the Duro DMS V/3B for $168. So now I use 1 key for my letterbox, main door and main gate.

XLock4

However I don't know if i should buy this pad lock or not, cos currently I have no pad lock, if install this one, then I have to lock main door, main gate, padlock, 3 things... now I only lock 2 things already troublesome. This pad lock is going at $138 and I need to pay another $20 to configure the lock to use my same master key. If really buy already, I think maybe no need lock the main gate lock, so only need to lock 2 things, but then, it goes back to square one. Might as well just lock main gate and forget this padlock. So I put this on hold and just live without a pad lock first.

XLock5

So instead of digital lock, I spend $168 to use 1 master key system. Disadvantage so far is it only comes with standard 4 master keys. For bigger family probably 4 keys not enough, I don't know how much they charge to make extra master key.

XLock6

I will update more aftermath soon.

$168 is it the online price?  Your picture is from Homefix and is selling $238??

Thanks for the series of before & after photos!:) They have given me plenty of ideas on what to do with the small & awkward space.

I see from the photos that your wifi router is still housed above your DB box. How is it working out?

16 hours ago, iluvfff said:

$168 is it the online price?  Your picture is from Homefix and is selling $238??

Oh i didn't buy that $238 one. I bought only the letter box, metal gate and main door for $168 (model DMS V/3B), didn't buy the gate's pad lock which itself is already $138, so I decided not to use a padlock and just lock the gate lock and main door only. I posted that $238 picture to show that awesome padlock which I plan of getting, but now I feel no need already. If you plan to get Duro lock I suggest take pictures of all your lock then visit their main office to buy direct.

15 hours ago, 2Roomer said:

Thanks for the series of before & after photos!:) They have given me plenty of ideas on what to do with the small & awkward space.

I see from the photos that your wifi router is still housed above your DB box. How is it working out?

Hope to see your ideas on your new house soon. My router's position is good, initially I was worried of the heat from router which will make the DB box stuffy, but so far it was acceptable. Can't feel any heat when i open that cupboard even though my router is on 24 Hours. By placing beside DB box, i can minimise the messy cat 6 cable which need to run from the box to the back of the router. The BTO network guy help me to cut a hole on the right side of the housing to allow those cat 6 cable to pass thru. Otherwise usually you can only pass thru from bottom of the box. I would say that is the best position to place the router in my DB box. Don't put in living room, if you on 24 hours and if you never open windows, you will come home to a stuffy living room.

9 hours ago, andotang said:

Hope to see your ideas on your new house soon. My router's position is good, initially I was worried of the heat from router which will make the DB box stuffy, but so far it was acceptable. Can't feel any heat when i open that cupboard even though my router is on 24 Hours. By placing beside DB box, i can minimise the messy cat 6 cable which need to run from the box to the back of the router. The BTO network guy help me to cut a hole on the right side of the housing to allow those cat 6 cable to pass thru. Otherwise usually you can only pass thru from bottom of the box. I would say that is the best position to place the router in my DB box. Don't put in living room, if you on 24 hours and if you never open windows, you will come home to a stuffy living room.

Isn't the signal weaken by putting into the DB Box?  Have you tried to open the door, do a speed test at different part of the house (especially in the toilet :lol:), then close the door and do the test again?

The earliest date I can get my flat is 1st quarter of 2018, still more than 2 years away. Currently, I am just compiling a wishlist for my flat. My floor plan is virtually the same as the 45sqm flat at HDB Hub. Yes, I have the same headache as rainbow1979 with the shower in the middle of the toilet. I am seriously considering your suggestion about building a ledge and re-positioning the shower. Or maybe just construct a shower kerb or install a shower tray right there in the middle.

The WiFi signals in my current flat is pretty strong too. With the bedroom door and windows closed for air con, I can still receive the signals from my living room.

19 hours ago, iluvfff said:

Isn't the signal weaken by putting into the DB Box?  Have you tried to open the door, do a speed test at different part of the house (especially in the toilet :lol:), then close the door and do the test again?

well my house is so small, i think only 7 meter by 7 meter, won't have a lot of different where I put it. My toilet seat is just 2 meters from the router. I don't need fantastic speed on my wireless as I have direct connection to both my pc thru network cable. Wireless only for handphone which is light usage. Anyway I know wireless is so slow as compare to direct connect, as long as my computer have good connection I am all good. Have no problem with the Philips Hue controller hub too, always very responsive on my Hue Tap.

Hi, thanks for this wonderful blog. Your blog is a lifesaver for small apartment owners because there are not many blogs on studios!

I have a studio apartment (45sqm) coming up and would really want an ID who is experience in doing smaller apartments. I feel that storage solutions and space planning is extremely critical in such a small apartment (mine will be more challenging cos that 45sqm even includes balcony and 2nd bedroom!!, so can imagine how small is the living and master). 

Any ID you can recommend?

Also, for the platform bed, it is the similar idea that i have, but I would want storage below the bed. Any supplier reccomendation for that?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by style88

On 03/03/2016 at 9:44 AM, style88 said:

Hi, thanks for this wonderful blog. Your blog is a lifesaver for small apartment owners because there are not many blogs on studios!

I have a studio apartment (45sqm) coming up and would really want an ID who is experience in doing smaller apartments. I feel that storage solutions and space planning is extremely critical in such a small apartment (mine will be more challenging cos that 45sqm even includes balcony and 2nd bedroom!!, so can imagine how small is the living and master). 

Any ID you can recommend?

Also, for the platform bed, it is the similar idea that i have, but I would want storage below the bed. Any supplier reccomendation for that?

Thanks for any help.

45sqm yet have 2nd bedroom, interesting floorplan, probably possible if without the bombshelter. I didn't talk to a lot of ID but I can feel your stress. Cos our project is small, probably around 20k budget. Not much profit margin for the ID, so I guess some ID if they very busy, they probably don't want to go thru so much trouble to make so little. It is a very time consuming project, you have to spend lots of time with ID to discuss and choose laminate and finalize your design. If you feel the ID you talk to is very busy then probably choose another one who pay more attention to you.

My project is only 17K with the ID as I signed with Blum for my kitchen and Evorich for my platform bed. Yet she is very responsive to help me to complete the rest of the house. She is a ID but I didn't use any of her ideas, I thought of my own design and I am glad she understand me and help me to execute. I would say I probably just need a contractor but I gave her the project for being appreciative for her time. There are some mistake on the reno, but nothing serious, overall I am happy with my current house, especially my toilet which I spend the most, her tiler did a good job for me. If you interested I can pass you her contact.

Love my platform bed, don't want to make it a storage platform as I want to put a ceiling fan on top of my bed. If room very small, will be very troublesome to access the platform storage as you have to remove your queen mattress. You need a carpentry quote to do the platform storage. I only did a raised platform with bedhead which is done by Evorich for $2.6k. Storage platform will be more expensive.

Ceiling Fan

3 months after moving in, I still haven't buy my ceiling fan yet.  I need 1 for living room and 1 for bedroom. I have set my mind to buy the Haiku which cost around 1.5k each but I read the reviews on their facebook page and I have no confidence in their service and warranty so I hold back hoping to find a alternative fan. My second choice is Aero DC fan from Phylux which is actually a Elmark fan which cost around $600. My third choice is a very rare Airfusion Climate II DC Ceiling Fan from katongfanshop which is also $600+. I only want to buy a DC fan for more speed control and save electricity. Yesterday KDK Singapore launched 2 new DC fan, a U48FP and U60FW for $638 and $838 respectively. The 60 inch is too big, so I can only consider the 48 inch, my ideal size is 52". The specs for the U48FP is pretty amazing.

Direct current (DC) motor adopted
    LED lighting (18W) with 3 brightness, CoolDaylight
    1/f Yuragi function
    3D blade delivers smooth and strong air flow
    PPG blade material for durability
    LCD wireless remote control
    9-speed control
    Sleep model with On timer and Off timer
    Equiped with 1st Patented Safety Design
    Blade safety plate and safety wire attached

The U48FP should be able to get at below $600 including installation. Can buy 2 and still cheaper then 1 haiku. Just loosing out to haiku in terms of appearance but this is latest from KDK, probably 2016 model. 9 speed and Yuragi function. So now this new model become my top choice, probably plan to buy 1 to put in living room first to test, if good then buy another put in bedroom. I probably want to go see the Airfusion Climate II first before making my final decision.

The cons about this fan is it comes with 18W Cool Daylight which I don't need. Seems like it is not a optional kit too so cannot remove. The scary thing to me is, by default when you turn on the fan, the light will turn on too. So during day time when press turn on fan button, i have to turn off the daylight after that, which I read from the manual, need to press the light button 4 times to cycle until off. So end up have to press button 5 times just to turn on the fan every time. Hope I am wrong on this, gonna visit KDK showroom to take a look before deciding. Just sharing this info for those looking for ceiling fan that there is a new range from KDK that you can consider.

I have my eyes set on the KDK RGB ceiling fan after the advertisement on Friday. We think alike!

Personally, I prefer the 3-blade black 48-inch version. KDK is supposed to be the most reliable ceiling fan maker in Singapore right? This model is supposed to be suitable for HDB flats which usually have low ceilings.  I was thinking of using a ceiling fan with lights as the main light source for my living room and bedroom so I actually like a choice of 3 light tones. However, from the pics I don't see much difference between the tones. I hope the lights can be kept on while the fan is switched off.

If you are visiting the KDK showroom, maybe you should ask about ease of bulb replacement too.

This is my first attempt to make a video of my own. Hope it is useful to new 2 Roomer.

Posting my floor plan and space planning pic too.

gallery_69080_843_57648.jpg

gallery_69080_843_136711.jpg

Edited by andotang