Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dadajunior

Sharing Our Experience On Buying Fans In Malaysia

Hello all!

My hub and I just went to Malaysia to buy fans and we would like to share our experience. We have been reading through renotalk and we found that the most highly raved shop to buy fans in Malaysia is Tampoi lighting and Starworld. Given the positive experience and reviews by other Singaporeans, we decided to go there to check out the Aeratron AE3, in hope of getting a good price.

However, much to our disappointment, the prices there were pretty steep! We were intending to get two of the Aeratron 50" fans (one for my friend) but the salesperson said that the price could not be reduced further. One Aeratron fan was going for around RM 1600. Since we did not expect that the fans would be so expensive, we did not have enough ringgit on hand to buy the fans we wanted.

Fortunately, one Malaysian colleague of ours told us that we could check out another shop called HT lighting, where the price there might be cheaper. Refusing to pay the huge amount for the fans, we decided to take a cab down to HT lighting.

We were greeted by a friendly salesperson when we arrived. The shop is not as big as Tampoi and only a selected number of fans r on display. We did not see the Aeratron fan on display and were so worried that the shop may not carry this fan. Luckily for us, they have the fan! And even luckier for us, the price was way CHEAPER than Tampoi!!! By a few hundred ringgit!!!! Man were we glad that we did not buy the fans from Tampoi and made the decision to come down!

They did not have the stock available in the shop, but at another outlet so the sale lady kindly drove us the place to collect our fans. After collecting our fans, the lady offered to give us a lift to city square! So nice of her!!!

We highly recommend this shop, given their good service and cheap prices!

Note: We heard from the sale person that prices for imported good will be re-adjusted from September onwards, so do get the fans and lights early before the price hike! They have the vento fino fans too. There is another shop called Best light nearby which also sells fans and lights at a cheap price, but they don't carry Aeratron.

Edited by dadajunior

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi doubleEM and currahee,

We have not install the fan since we have yet to start our renovation. We will let you know when we have install it.

Hi currahee,

I will PM you the price.

Hi dadajunior, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am also keen to buy the aeratron.

can share with me the price that you bought please? thanks!

Hi all,

We have received feedback that the wind power of the aeratron fan is not super strong but only decent. We are not sure if it's the supplier's fan problem or is it the nature of aeratron fan, so pls only buy at your own risk.

I just came back from Tampoi Lighting yesterday. I was specially looking for ceiling fans with bright lights for my HDB. I especially value bright lights and I am very pleased with my trip there because I found pretty nice fans with bright lights.

I previously looked at the fan options in the Geylang Lorong 44 belt, and based on the prices there and the brightness of the lights I saw and the reviews I found online for the different brands, I am very pleased by my purchase. I have not installed my fans of course, and will try to post a follow up review after I use them for a few months. I estimate that I saved 40%, but there are other hidden costs to buying a fan from Malaysia like unavailability of fan parts, warranty issues, etc, which I have not accounted for.

I bought the following:

· Fanco Galaxy S8 WD 52’ Fan + 2 Philips LED bulbs + 2 fan hooks – RM 543 (SGD 177 based on 3.06 exchange rate)

o Search on carousell for picture, a few people selling . Got the dark wood colour, very very nice colour.

o This fan is really nice, wind is strong.

· NSB N LGD 56’ Fan (comes with bright LED round light panel) + 2 fan hooks – RM 467 (SGD 153 based on 3.06 exchange rate)

o Available in black & white, can’t post link here. Go to ‘NSB switch on life style’ fb page and look under the pictures for a ceiling fan that says ‘white on white’ and that is the fan I bought

o I bought this mainly because the LED light is really bright, relatively nice, wind is strong.

I had never heard of NSB before. Shop guy told me that it is a Malaysian product, and when I asked if it is lasting, he said that they also sell 1000+ fans. Some reviews I found online are:

· “NSB fans are good: sturdy and does not wobble like Deka ceiling fans.” – Jun 2014

· “bought 2 units ceiling fan from Puchong but now after 5 months already kaput...1st and 2nd speed same very slow, only 3rd speed strong wind...seems 2nd speed not functioning.” – Jul 2013

I just read that HT Lighting in JB sells their fans for cheaper but less selection. You can probably call them first to ask for pricing.

Hope these help to inform your decisions.

I am thinking of going down to Tampoi Lighting at JB to purchase some ceiling lights (Philips) and fans (Fanco/Elmark/Vento). However, I have a driving license but I do not own a car and will only be heading down via cab.

From what I enquired from Tampoi Lighting, they no longer provide delivery of purchased products to Singapore anymore?

As such, how do I make sure I can bring all the bulky lights and fans back to Singapore? If I rent a car, drive in, purchase, and drive back, will I be stopped at the customs for the overseas purchase and get charged with taxes?

Advices please. Thanks.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:16 AM, Prideguy said:

I am thinking of going down to Tampoi Lighting at JB to purchase some ceiling lights (Philips) and fans (Fanco/Elmark/Vento). However, I have a driving license but I do not own a car and will only be heading down via cab.

From what I enquired from Tampoi Lighting, they no longer provide delivery of purchased products to Singapore anymore?

As such, how do I make sure I can bring all the bulky lights and fans back to Singapore? If I rent a car, drive in, purchase, and drive back, will I be stopped at the customs for the overseas purchase and get charged with taxes?

Advices please. Thanks.

most likely. you probably need to pay GST for your purchases if the total exceeds $150 (per person, so if there are 2 of you, it is $300)