Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ade38

A Small House Transformation Due To Good Space Planning

After thinking for sometime, i decided to write on the renovation for my house. From buying to waiting, to check for defects, sourcing for ID or contractors, buying furniture to cleaning up, moving and packing is a long process. Finally I have just moved in to my new house and have the time to go through this process.
I like many homeowners wanted the best deal and the best place that we could call our home. In order to search for the best id or contractor, we went through a a number of contractors and ID quote. We repeated the same idea and concept for the house to every of them. The reactions of them are several
1) Cannot really be bothered Just take down what you want and send you to the door. :jail: In the end , there was no quote given.
2) Quoted a real high price although we have given them a range of our budget within $20K to $30K but quotation was $40K+ without any breakdown
3) Give a quote within your range but leave out a few items so that the quotation is below the range (Note: there may be the add ons after that)

Contractor's pricing is definitely lower than an ID provided you know exactly what you need but in my case i am not too sure of what i wanted. I only knew i need a bigger kitchen and good space planning ideas as i do not have a storeroom.

Only at One of the meetup with one ID, John, he was able to give me ideas, he drew a rough concept on how it would look and advise against having the cupboards full fledged across the living room as it is costly and it would make my living room to look very squeezed out. As my unit is a 2 bedroom SOHO, so with the height at 3.35m, i wanted my living area to be spacious. I thought his idea was perfect. He listens to our ideas but keep his options and suggestions open. A very patient and creative person. At the first meeting only, he could somehow make us convinced to sign up with him but we didnt as we wanted to keep our options open first and not commit so soon. He showed us photos of his previous works as well. A very down to earth guy i would say. So we waited for his quote and he gave us in a week time and offered to bring us to his in progress clients' place to see how his carpenter workmanship. But in the end we did not go but we went to the office to see the samples of the laminate , quartz. Till this date i am happy about the whole selection that i go with John as he has made it simple for us to understand and give suggestions easily. So after discussion we went signing up with him and has not regretted ever since. :good:

I wanted to upload some images but not sure how to do it so that i could show the raw photo and the 3D Drawing as well as the actual after renovation photo but not sure how to do it. Probably can advise?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Ade38

I look forward to your photos and more sharing of your process.

We are also researching and wonder if we should get a ID or Contractor for our condo apartment where most of the works are done.

Ours also a small place and would want to transform into a functional space with storage and a sanctuary to go back to.

It took me quite a while to upload as not very computer savvy. Not very sure if i am doing it correctly

These photos are my floor plan and 3D Design. ilovekopi please take a look and i will update the in progress photos after i find some time to downsize the photos

Floor Plan

3D Drawing1

3D Drawing2