Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone,

So I've been gathering quotes from IDs and contractors for our 5 room resale flat. I have a separate t-blog here: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/72372-a-hodgepodge-of-ideas-5i-resale-flat/but no updates yet because I can't find someone within budget! I'd like to ask your expert opinions here please. Are the following quotes reasonable for laying of wall tiles in the MBR toilet and common toilet? My husband and I find them very high. Or is this the standard rate these days? Please advise!!! Thank you.

Contractor 1

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Master: $3,600

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Common: $3,250

Total: $6,850

Contractor 2

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Master: $2,150

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Common: $2,150 (should be less since this toilet is smaller, right?)

Total: $4,300

Contractor 3

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles for both toilets: $5,480

ID 4

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Master: $3,600

Supply labour and equipment to lay wall tiles - Common: $3,250

ID 5

For both toilet walls (this ID is smart - they split the costs so they look very cheap at one glance. but overall still quite reasonable): $3,995

Please could you advise which is the most reasonable? Our toilet sizes: 230 sf and 180 sf (wall? i took it from one of the quotes, and they have our floor plan).

Thank you!

Edited by scarlett

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi

JTS: My IDs also quote me about $5-6k per toiletm including shower screen, toilet bifold door, wall mirror/cabinet, new stainless steel waterpipes, installation costs for fixtures; including wall and floor tiles to hack and lay new tiles with waterproofing.

U may wish to consider getting them to quote based on $xx/psf for new wall/floor tiles.

Hi

JTS: My IDs also quote me about $5-6k per toiletm including shower screen, toilet bifold door, wall mirror/cabinet, new stainless steel waterpipes, installation costs for fixtures; including wall and floor tiles to hack and lay new tiles with waterproofing.

U may wish to consider getting them to quote based on $xx/psf for new wall/floor tiles.

Hi Renowip,

thanks for your reply. hmm, yes i think i will try doing that. seeing the difference in charges between the different ids/contractors has me concerned as well.

Hi,

Mind sharing with me your contractor's contact too? I'm intending to reno both toilet too, my hubby show me the quote he got, Master Bathroom: $3800, Common Bathroom: $3600. This is for overlay of the toilet wall tiles and all other necessary.

But hubby say the final price could be even higher as our BTO is a premium flat, there is this L-shape box which hides the piping. Hubby say the contractor will charge higher for the hacking of this box so that they can overlay the tiles, than charge one more time if we want them to construct this box back. Does anyone know if this is true?

Hubby say overlay of toilet tiles is not advisable as it will definitely make the toilet look smaller, regardless what tiles we choose. Is this correct too? There is no other way to beautify the toilet?

Edited by JessicaKong84

hi there, i'm not too sure about overlay quotes as mine is a resale and we are doing hacking of the floor tiles. as for laying, the best quote i got so far is $2150 for both common and master toilet. when i asked why both the prices are the same when the common toilet is smaller, he said that's because the supplier charges them as a lump sum. i'm not sure about that actually, because all the other quotes i got were different for the 2 toilets. i got a BTO package quote from an ID which seems really reasonable though (he sent it to me because it was labelled resale but when i checked, he said sorry it's actually BTO). if u want i can email it to u. could u pm me ur email add?

i can't reveal contractor yet simply because we still haven't decided yet. all the quotes are out of budget so far! probably need to increase budget... haiz :(

Hi jesskong84,

I also renovating my 2toilet floor n wall tiles.

Master Floor 950

Wall 2100.

Common Floor 900

Wall 1950.

So far it's the reasonable one n he did explain clearly how the calculation goes unlike others who just say a sum. But really a lot of different pricing, I think if the price is right n u feel comfortable just go for it coz there might be company later after u sign n later add on cost for u. So check with the company that there are no extra cost.

So I think 1 toilet 3000plus is around there loh. Cheers!

hi jennyt,

that's the thing. i'm also a bit concerned cos one of my contractors quoted the same price for both toilets, when the common toilet is smaller. so the price for the common toilet should be less right? :/

Hi Scarlett,

Hmmm... Price definitely should be Lower for the other toilet , different sqft. I guess ur contractor never calculate out for u to see the sqft. Also be careful a lot of then charging extra 15-20% of tiles for wastage. Normal should be 10%. All those quotes without the length, sqft, sizes in the quote are all very risky because they will quote to own and not market price that's y never put in the exact length n sqft. Look around more.

Thanks Scarlett and Jennyt,

How about the L-box thingy that is fixed onto the ceiling of the toilet? Do you guys need to pay extra to remove them? Or is it possible to overlay tiles without 'disturbing' them?

Hi JessicaKong84,

I'm so sorry I just saw your query! I won't be installing the L-box . Mine is a resale flat and the pipes were previously not concealed also. And all the contractors/IDs I met advised against concealing it. So won't be doing it lor. I'm still searching for a reasonably priced contractor/ID....... :help:

Hi Scarlett,

Mine is about $5k plus but with hacking, cement screet for wall/floor tiles.

Must double confirmed because if just laying (wall tiles), price shouldn't exceed $3kplus.

Just my 2cents.