Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hello all,

was just wondering what's the diff between contractor and ID?

do you need to be home to manage if you engage a contractor?

and from what i heard, will they not give any 3D drawings?

also, having read around on some topics in the forum.

some have a tight budget, while some will go for the cheapest.

but what about the quality? and how much is considered reasonable and of good quality?

if there's a carpenter who propose $200/ feet on full ht wardrobes and some others who proposed 260-280 range/ feet, does it mean the $200 will be short change in anyway?

confuse here as some categories can differ quite abit between quotations. vs how do we judge on quality?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello all,

was just wondering what's the diff between contractor and ID?

do you need to be home to manage if you engage a contractor?

and from what i heard, will they not give any 3D drawings?

also, having read around on some topics in the forum.

some have a tight budget, while some will go for the cheapest.

but what about the quality? and how much is considered reasonable and of good quality?

if there's a carpenter who propose $200/ feet on full ht wardrobes and some others who proposed 260-280 range/ feet, does it mean the $200 will be short change in anyway?

confuse here as some categories can differ quite abit between quotations. vs how do we judge on quality?

Let me answer you since i'm a contractor cum ID.

You do not need to be home either way if you are engaging a responsible contractor or ID, but you will have to if they are not the responsible type.

it depend on individual contractor company or ID policy, you may request to have a 3D drawing free, if they can afford to give, they will give, but if they don't, i guess the only way is to pay for it, depending on the project size i would say.

Everyone has tight budget including our government, everyone want the cheapest and also want quality in Singapore.

Reasonable means the price given are within market overall quoted price, and the contractor or ID which would be able to explain the different between theirs as comparing to the rest.

The Carpenter who propose $200/feet would usually let you choose your own colour and they will not care if the colour are matching or not in end of the day, of coz

they will still give you many advise like: they is brighter, this is nicer, but if end result are bad, they will not feel sorry cause they are making what you chosen.

You will not be cheated, not to worry, they will still provide hand sketch to you, they are unable to provide 3D drawing to show how it will turn out cause a 3D drawing Plus Elevation drawing for a wardrobe is $120 in total- unless you want to pay for it.

ID who charged you $260/80 per/feet....from what i see, they are not making any advantage of you, let me explain:

A wardrobe is averagely at L6ft in MBR (Master Bedroom)

The Contractor means direct Carpenter right? $200 is the factory price selling to you, so i would say this is the price they are selling to the ID,

ID would usually put in more idea in the design to avoid looking identical contractor look, Right? So they will be charge $200-$220 by the Carpenter,

and they are providing FREE 3D & Elevation view which cost $80-$120 (either by their inhouse including CPF, or outsource when they can't produce by their own inhouse)

SO the drawing fee of $120 divide by the average 6ft length wardrobe means $20 Per/feet, you are being charge $260/80,

and if you add their costing up ($220 with design, $20 for drawing fee)= $240per/feet, a wardrobe with their idea and responsibility/pride, they are earning $20 or $40Per/feet from you, means $$120 or $240 for a 6ft wardrobe with design idea.

did you forget about those who charge $240per/feet including free 3D design?

hope i did not confuse you too much, but i would like to say, before you engaging between contractor and the ID,

try speak to them, ask them why are they charging $200 and not higher,

on the other hand, ask them why they charge $260/80 but not $200?

engage them once you have get your answer from their explanation :good:

Let me answer you since i'm a contractor cum ID.

You do not need to be home either way if you are engaging a responsible contractor or ID, but you will have to if they are not the responsible type.

it depend on individual contractor company or ID policy, you may request to have a 3D drawing free, if they can afford to give, they will give, but if they don't, i guess the only way is to pay for it, depending on the project size i would say.

Everyone has tight budget including our government, everyone want the cheapest and also want quality in Singapore.

Reasonable means the price given are within market overall quoted price, and the contractor or ID which would be able to explain the different between theirs as comparing to the rest.

The Carpenter who propose $200/feet would usually let you choose your own colour and they will not care if the colour are matching or not in end of the day, of coz

they will still give you many advise like: they is brighter, this is nicer, but if end result are bad, they will not feel sorry cause they are making what you chosen.

You will not be cheated, not to worry, they will still provide hand sketch to you, they are unable to provide 3D drawing to show how it will turn out cause a 3D drawing Plus Elevation drawing for a wardrobe is $120 in total- unless you want to pay for it.

ID who charged you $260/80 per/feet....from what i see, they are not making any advantage of you, let me explain:

A wardrobe is averagely at L6ft in MBR (Master Bedroom)

The Contractor means direct Carpenter right? $200 is the factory price selling to you, so i would say this is the price they are selling to the ID,

ID would usually put in more idea in the design to avoid looking identical contractor look, Right? So they will be charge $200-$220 by the Carpenter,

and they are providing FREE 3D & Elevation view which cost $80-$120 (either by their inhouse including CPF, or outsource when they can't produce by their own inhouse)

SO the drawing fee of $120 divide by the average 6ft length wardrobe means $20 Per/feet, you are being charge $260/80,

and if you add their costing up ($220 with design, $20 for drawing fee)= $240per/feet, a wardrobe with their idea and responsibility/pride, they are earning $20 or $40Per/feet from you, means $$120 or $240 for a 6ft wardrobe with design idea.

did you forget about those who charge $240per/feet including free 3D design?

hope i did not confuse you too much, but i would like to say, before you engaging between contractor and the ID,

try speak to them, ask them why are they charging $200 and not higher,

on the other hand, ask them why they charge $260/80 but not $200?

engage them once you have get your answer from their explanation :good:

thanks for the advise. i kinda get what you meant. but no, both are ID firms.

was wondering is it a basic design for the $200/ft and any other designs will be an additional top up or any short change in their carpentry material.

well, i guess every individual has their own definition of "cheap" or "tight" budget.

i believe market in SG is about there, it's also about the comfort level, portfolio, proposals & transparency.

Even coming from a customer point of view.

what is cheap may not be good and what is good may not be cheap. but of cos not cheap at least reasonably price. :')

Guest Vicki Goh

Maybe depend on like what materials used?? such as laminate and hinge?

I have like find many IDs and compare quotations and overall pricing is just here and there and end up not much different.

For contractors, they don't give ID drawings and also not much design and so you have to source and give them ideas or give them pictures to follow so

end up is just another people design only. If got budget and not after those "WoW" design then i would get a contractor so still depend on what you really want your dream house to be.

Too cheap..you will wonder is there any hidden cost... if too expensive ..then you worried that your ID charge you too high...

Edited by Vicki Goh

Maybe depend on like what materials used?? such as laminate and hinge?

I have like find many IDs and compare quotations and overall pricing is just here and there and end up not much different.

For contractors, they don't give ID drawings and also not much design and so you have to source and give them ideas or give them pictures to follow so

end up is just another people design only. If got budget and not after those "WoW" design then i would get a contractor so still depend on what you really want your dream house to be.

Too cheap..you will wonder is there any hidden cost... if too expensive ..then you worried that your ID charge you too high...

that's exactly my sentiments! think best is to compare more. compare too many also become very luan. haha..

i think i'll just stick to 5 or less. >.<

actually, if you can find any ID lower than $200, and still steady work please PM to me, i would like him to be part of my work force :good:

Guest Vicki Goh

actually, if you can find any ID lower than $200, and still steady work please PM to me, i would like him to be part of my work force :good:

LOL..so far never came across.. for my case i have find and compare like 10 IDs and then you will have a good knowledge what are the market price and also different IDs give different ideas and also you also learn some knowledge from them.

However what i notice the more creative ideas are ... the cost also alot higher...

Sum up:

$200= Standard Simple, and simple service, 3D are payable

$220= Same as above

$240= Same as above, 3D are FOC

$260= Designed, 3D are FOC

$280= Same as above

Anyway, just a little advertisement here, i Quoted $240, so you now understand what i mean :good:

Guest Vicki Goh

Sum up:

$220= Same as above

$280= Same as above

Anyway, just a little advertisement here, i Quoted $240, so you now understand what i mean :good:

The above price dont come with colored pvc?

Sum up:

$220= Same as above

$280= Same as above

the above is for casement wardrobe only right?

Guest Vicki Goh

I notice if your design is more complicated there will more additional cost even though is direct carpentry.

So if you are just doing very simple or no design concept...direct contractor really do save alot.

I have tried asking contractor to quote based on my wardrobe design and the price almost same as what my ID quote.

Simple add on to this conversation:

Factory do not have to responsible for your wardrobe design, workmanship is definitely should not failed.

ID are responsible to your wardrobe design, workmanship has to be qualified.

i think every carpentry work that done by an ID, has to be a piece of Art, but if you do not even want to pay for their work, just tell them you want a budget carpentry work, they will know what to do cause they are doing business just like i do.

Low demand, low pay out, High demand, high pay out :good: i will not encourage paying a high price but getting a Peanut. Paying a low price but getting a premium in our industries.