Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kovan4us

Hougang/kovan 4A Resale Reno Journal

Side-by-side Fridge: Samsung vs LG

We settled on side-by-side configuration. In the beginning, we had our eyes on European brands like Bosch or Ariston for their looks and wider interior. Later, we decided to go with Korean brands for their supposedly better reliability and service.

The final two that we shortlisted were:

LG-gsb5282pz.jpg

LG GSB5282PZ

sg_RSH5SUSL1-XSS_001_Front.jpeg

Samsung RS-H5SUSL2/XSS

I preferred the Samsung because:

- Made in Korea

- Dual Fan

- Larger capacity 551 vs 528 (LG)

My wife preferred the LG because of the better internal configuration and look.

20160103_173512.jpg

LG has clear plastic trays and are height adjustable.

20160103_173524.jpg

Samsung's door side trays are cheaper looking white and not height adjustable.

20160103_173546.jpg

LG's Ice tray is larger and fits the shelf nicely.

20160103_173535.jpg

Samsung's ice tray is smaller and doesn't fit well.

Since we could not come to an agreement, we let price be the deciding factor.

Samsung was $1,699 and LG was $1,599. Samsung was running a promotion giving away $150 supermarket voucher and that pretty much seals the deal. But that's not the end.

Shopping around the past few days brought us to Harvey Norman Millenia Walk, Courts Tampines and Harvey Norman Hougang Mall.

HN Millenia: Fridge $1,499 + 3 years add-on Warranty $374 = $1,873

Courts TP: Fridge $1,549 ($1,699 - $150 in house voucher) + Warranty $325 (approx.) = $1,874

Finally, we decided to just stop by HN in Hougang because we were too tired to drive down to Millenia. The price on the Samsung was $1,699. We were served by Uncle Wong and he not only matched the price of the fridge to their Millenia outlet, he also lowered the price of warranty (items below $1,500 had a different warranty pricing level).

HN Hougang: Fridge $1,499 + Warranty $243 = $1,742.

Deal done and that was our last major item for the kitchen.

Edited by kovan4us

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I am glad you bought extended warranty for your fridge. Nowadays, fridges are build to break down just after their manufacturer warranty period. Mine just broke down but luckily I bought 5 year extended warranty. I always do.

hi kovan4us, may i please ask where you bought your WC from? thanks!

I got it from Tiong Yeong Hardware in Song Lin Building, Syed Alwi Road. Look for Fion.

I am glad you bought extended warranty for your fridge. Nowadays, fridges are build to break down just after their manufacturer warranty period. Mine just broke down but luckily I bought 5 year extended warranty. I always do.

Hi KS!

In my case, $243 for 3 years is reasonable. I was not very willing to pay more than $300 for warranty. When I buy fridge, I only look for those dumb dumb ones -- no other features like water dispenser or multi-zone temperature control... The fridge compressor, even those newer Inverter types, are hundred year's old technology and should run on and on until you get sick of it. Just make sure your area surrounding the fridge is well ventilated.

Plumbing -- Horrible Plumbing!

5 days to move and we hit problems. One of them is plumbing.

How to run a pipe? Shouldn't this issue been dealt with like... thousands of years ago?

Whenever I see a few young men storming into the house and work in frantic paces, I can't help but worry that something would go wrong. Why am I so right?

20160106_141947.jpg

20160106_141936.jpg

20160106_142028.jpg

Bent, twisted and unceremoniously mutilated!!

How should it be done? Here's a look at the piping work in my rented condo:

20160108_182808.jpg

Pipes are aligned horizontally and vertically.

20160106_174726.jpg

How to negotiate a bend? Use an angular connector!

I am so glad good work like this is not hidden. Do take a moment to appreciate this display of splendid and meticulous workmanship.

Something to show my ID and his plumber.

And to add, I am furious at my ID for thinking that was acceptable work.

Edited by kovan4us

• Like 1

WC - Treo

I bought the same WC too. Treo.

So far so good, don't have to use full flush.

The pressure for the small flush is good enough

I don't have the exact details of it but I bought it because it was a ToTo CW166B look-alike with Geberit system built-in. It was the only one I liked in the line up in that shop. At that moment in time, I was mostly happy that the price is ok and I don't have to go elsewhere to do more shopping and comparison.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-12-26%2Bat%2B10.50.

Other than aesthetic reason, this design is a little bit taller and steeper in gradient than the Roz (using it currently) and Johnson Suisse (used it before). I am hopeful that the increase in height and depth will translate to more forceful flushing power.

Another consideration I had for WC was the coating of the ceramic basin. Toto was the only one to mention that it had an additional coating of CeFionTect for extra protection: a little like Teflon coating for cooking pans, non-stick and easy to wash. No other brand has mentioned any special coating, so I assume ToTo is the only one who bother to do a little extra.

This particular Treo WC costs $330+ (need to check the receipt for actual). Was I right not to pay three times the price for a ToTo? Let's hope Treo won't let me down.

To be updated...

I have Toto WC. Just got your info, I opened up the water tank. No floating ball and piston but also no Gerberit system. The mechanism seems to be Toto's own system.

I have Toto WC. Just got your info, I opened up the water tank. No floating ball and piston but also no Gerberit system. The mechanism seems to be Toto's own system.

Toto! Nice...

Ya, those big brands use their own system. Should have what, 10 years warranty right?

How 'steady' is your ID?

With less than a week to completion. More work done and inevitably, more problems popped up. How does your ID handles problem?

"It's like that one."

I have been hearing this phrase very frequently the past few days. With three renovation done under our watch, nope, it is not like that one. Have to remind myself...

Keep cool.

There's no use shouting. Do some homework and show your ID what it is supposed to be like.

"Can you accept it?"

Before the sale, I am sure all ID will assure you of their high standard and taste. Why is it that once work started, they morphed into a general contractor? Shouldn't you, the ID, tell me if it is acceptable?

Well, sad to say, my selected ID is not that steady.

Edited by kovan4us

Not steady -- Master Bathroom

Our ID did the 3-D drawing, on-site inspection and everything looks alright.

20160109_161023.jpg

We divided the bathroom into half: left for shower and right for basin. The shower shall be glass divider with swing door.

We also wanted a kerb because it is useful to put lots of things.

20160109_161035.jpg

Just two days ago, our carpenter asked us for the measurement of the wash basin area. Only then did we realised...

20160109_161054.jpg

The space is too small for a basin!

Solution? He asked us if we mind taking a basin with 27cm in depth from Ikea.

We quickly called up Tiong Yeong to change our order. Rushed to Hoe Kee, Sim Siang Choon and Ikea to look at other basins.

Our ID came down to view and apologise. Since he cannot come up with a solution, we came up with one.

But he will have to pay for it.

Edited by kovan4us

WC - Treo

I bought the same WC too. Treo.

So far so good, don't have to use full flush.

The pressure for the small flush is good enough

I don't have the exact details of it but I bought it because it was a ToTo CW166B look-alike with Geberit system built-in. It was the only one I liked in the line up in that shop. At that moment in time, I was mostly happy that the price is ok and I don't have to go elsewhere to do more shopping and comparison.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-12-26%2Bat%2B10.50.

Other than aesthetic reason, this design is a little bit taller and steeper in gradient than the Roz (using it currently) and Johnson Suisse (used it before). I am hopeful that the increase in height and depth will translate to more forceful flushing power.

Another consideration I had for WC was the coating of the ceramic basin. Toto was the only one to mention that it had an additional coating of CeFionTect for extra protection: a little like Teflon coating for cooking pans, non-stick and easy to wash. No other brand has mentioned any special coating, so I assume ToTo is the only one who bother to do a little extra.

This particular Treo WC costs $330+ (need to check the receipt for actual). Was I right not to pay three times the price for a ToTo? Let's hope Treo won't let me down.

To be updated...

Thanks! Good to know that the design works well.

Not steady -- Painting

Painting was done by one guy and I am sure he rushed through it under pressure. Some parts, especially gaps in trunkings were not properly plastered and painted over. Since the painter will be coming back for final touch up, we will let him fix it up then.

The problem is with the colour of paint for the sewage pipes. (I realised the pictures taken were too dark to show. Will have to retake)

For the master bedroom toilet, the wall tiles are beige. The pipe colour, was not close enough to blend in but understandable. However, the common toilet wall tiles are grey and he used the same beige colour.

When asked, our ID said "oh, you can only choose one colour for sewage pipe. The master bedroom toilet is more important so we choose that colour for both."

Really? Aren't the IDs supposed to match colours to designs?

When pressed, he told us, small matter, he would settle it. We are not happy already - repeatedly giving us excuses instead of fixing the problem right away.

Edited by kovan4us

Hihi,

It's quite sad when ID promised the heaven during sourcing and then revert to their true colours during actual reno. My ID also falls short of expectation and I dun have the energy to argue with him too.. Now I just try to salvage whatever I can and also manage my own expectations lor. First time for me, so take it as learning. If there's a next time, I'll surely get a contractor instead... lol

Not steady -- Painting

Painting was done by one guy and I am sure he rushed through it under pressure. Some parts, especially gaps in trunkings were not properly plastered and painted over. Since the painter will be coming back for final touch up, we will let him fix it up then.

The problem is with the colour of paint for the sewage pipes. (I realised the pictures taken were too dark to show. Will have to retake)

For the master bedroom toilet, the wall tiles are beige. The pipe colour, was not close enough to blend in but understandable. However, the common toilet wall tiles are grey and he used the same beige colour.

When asked, our ID said "oh, you can only choose one colour for sewage pipe. The master bedroom toilet is more important so we choose that colour for both."

Really? Aren't the IDs supposed to match colours to designs?

When pressed, he told us, small matter, he would settle it. We are not happy already - repeatedly give us excuses instead of fixing the problem right away.

How 'steady' is your ID?

With less than a week to completion. More work done and inevitably, more problems popped up. How does your ID handles problem?

"It's like that one."

I have been hearing this phrase very frequently the past few days. With three renovation done under our watch, nope, it is not like that one. Have to remind myself...

Keep cool.

There's no use shouting. Do some homework and show your ID what it is supposed to be like.

"Can you accept it?"

Before the sale, I am sure all ID will assure you of their high standard and taste. Why is it that once work started, they morphed into a general contractor? Shouldn't you, the ID, tell me if it is acceptable?

Well, sad to say, my selected ID is not that steady.[/quote

I think it's individual character, my ID fall short and he did alternatives for FREE

I'm not that pushy but I always say 'we do work and have to honor what we say'

Both party win win situation