Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jamescorn

What Is The Market Rate In Terms Of Built-Up Psf For Reconstruction?

I'm doing a reconstruction of a corner terrace of land size 2900sqf. Current built up is small (1600sqf) and we have obtained BCA approval to increase the built-up area to 4100sqf over 2.5 storeys. We have called for a tender and received 3 bids, and need to select the builder soon.

Wanted to get a feel of the market rate in terms of PSF for reconstruction projects nowadays. My architect is using mid-range materials. Appreciate if you can share how much you paid if you did a reconstruction project recently. Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It will be hard to base on psf. Since you have your architect specs, it will be more accurate to quote from there. Let me know if you need another builder to tender and gauge from there. Thanks

For my reconstruction of corner terrace from 2 to 2+attic, it is below that range.

So far, I am quite satisfied with the progress and the builder. I guess the extent of the work (e.g. whether piling needed etc) will also affect the psf.

Edited by fatpanda

This is a very relevant question that ever so often comes up and a very tough one to answer. Lets see if I can contribute.

To start off, Per Square Foot Costs for Private Landed Houses, are determined by :

1)Type of Project - Makeover, A&A, Reconstruction and New Erection. The later two may be easier to ascertain. While the former two requires a detailed understanding of the scope of works and what can be saved and what has to go.

2)Type of Home - Inter Terrace, Semi-Detached or Detached/Bungalow. The Costs is PSF is generally higher from Inter Terraces onwards.

3)Size of The Constructed Home - In terms of Built-Up Area and Number of Storeys and/or if A Basement is included. *Basements would usually escalate costs PSF as it requires a lot more : submissions, PE & compliances, excavation & sub-structural elements and time.

4)Other Cost Affecting Items - If Piling is required, are there Sewer Diversions or Trenches required, Is A Water Tank a requirement, Is there a New Culvert involved.

5)Provisional Sums (are these also included in the Costs Per Square Foot) - Electrical & Sanitary Fittings, Cabinetry & Woodwork, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Landscape ......... etc.

These variables form an integral part of the costs process and not forgetting the Procurement, Design and Materials. Taking any one out of the equation may not provide a viable General Costs PSF as in Rebuild Process and believe me, you want no surprises.

Our Reconstruction project (3,400sqf) is currently completely managed by the design studio and our strict instructions are not > $1.2M (professional fees all in, including all lights and fixtures but no electrical appliances like oven etc). i think it's quite reasonable because we are getting marble bathrooms, good quality wardrobes with italian runners and big panel sliding glass doors. We bargained their quotes down to about 360psf, which is really good, keeping in mind that they're also all trained overseas from top architecture/design places

This is a fairly decent budget to create a spectacular home. You may want to blog with the rebuild and design process, to help other members here. As long as all involved in the project are in the communication loop, the process should be realtively smooth, as this usually is one of the weaker links. Enjoy the journey.

thanks dhotshop. We know we are very lucky to have found our present designer/architect firm. God Bless them and fingers crossed it will continue to go well. We actually just had a meeting with them today and we were briefed on new problems, which was well-handled by their architect, PE and the team. No worries so far. People, please make sure your archi/designers are experienced in managing all the new problems that will come as you build your dream house. 3D-model into reality is not that simple especially when we expect a designer house!

BUT boy can i tell you, we SUFFERED in the past. lots of tears! We went through real **** in 2005 and 2010 with our first 2 IDs doing our condo and terrace. It turned out SO BAD and we were pretty much taken for a ride by these uneducated low-lifes. One guy basically stopped work on our home and held us ransom because we were not happy with their work.... oh, they then demanded more money to hire more workers to speed things up...! uh-duh....?! like, how is it my problem if they managed the project wrongly and couldn't keep up to speed. Also another time got shouted at by their worker with all the famous Hokkien words and threatened because we were not happy that they kept damaging the new wood floors because they dragged their heavy tools around on it! Can i say my heart really break then?!

but good news our designer did a good job to buy a good amount of our Artemide lights from the lighting sale yesterday, and bathroom wares too from the Duravit sale. Yay Yay Yay!

I'm doing a reconstruction of a corner terrace of land size 2900sqf. Current built up is small (1600sqf) and we have obtained BCA approval to increase the built-up area to 4100sqf over 2.5 storeys. We have called for a tender and received 3 bids, and need to select the builder soon.

Wanted to get a feel of the market rate in terms of PSF for reconstruction projects nowadays. My architect is using mid-range materials. Appreciate if you can share how much you paid if you did a reconstruction project recently. Thanks.

i would recommend my builder who did design & build for me at Bishan & Joo Chiat Semi.

they are efficient and honest.

you may reach them at kl.design@outlook.sg ( Kwong Long Building Construction Pte Ltd)

From the comments and sharing, it sounds like different projects will include/exclude different components in calculating the average PSF. For my project, I signed with a builder at $175psf (reconstruction alone). We're estimating it'll be $205psf if PC sum is included, but excluding professional fees... It's estimated because we are not at the stage where we have determined the detailed costs of the PC sum items. I think BCA's definition of "construction costs" includes the actual building cost and PC sum. Thanks to all owners who shared... we should learn more from each other about the workings in this industry..

From the comments and sharing, it sounds like different projects will include/exclude different components in calculating the average PSF. For my project, I signed with a builder at $175psf (reconstruction alone). We're estimating it'll be $205psf if PC sum is included, but excluding professional fees... It's estimated because we are not at the stage where we have determined the detailed costs of the PC sum items. I think BCA's definition of "construction costs" includes the actual building cost and PC sum. Thanks to all owners who shared... we should learn more from each other about the workings in this industry..

sorry, just to clarify, what is "PC sum"?

Hi turnerdhr

PC Sum refers to Provisional Cost Sum

This is the budgetary costing allocated at the start of construction for un-forseeable items such a light fitting, sanitary wares, lock set, cabinet carpentry, services connection fee, etc.

This is usually accompanied by Contingencies Sum which usually budget at 10~15% of Everything else. This is usually added to account for additional works / changes that the owner may request during the construction period.

The above are usually added for purpose of complete budget to cater for loan application to the bank to have smooth cash flow.

Johnny

3 Cube Builders Pte Ltd

threecubebuilders@ymail.com