Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lyn2015

Dy 5Rm Scandinavian.. Modern And Something In Between

Is 40k to do kitchen cupboards, countertop,overlay one toilet plus vanity, shower screens both toilet, master bedroom wardrobe, all doors, and flooring plus cement screed very ex? That's the range of quotation I am getting :/

Edited by lyn2015

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

maybe u want to consider talking to voila, thom signature design, fifth avenue, carpenters ?

ur kitchen countertop is?

u might want to consider to ask if they have any ready flats to show u? before u make any decision?

Edited by lifeissimple

maybe u want to consider talking to voila, thom signature design, fifth avenue, carpenters ?

ur kitchen countertop is?

u might want to consider to ask if they have any ready flats to show u? before u make any decision?

likely be going with kompacplus! finally selected our ID.. :)

One note on tile selection. I feel that if you want to go for darker colored tiles or flooring, you have to consider the amount of light you got in the kitchen. I'm partial to kitchen must be bright with lots of natural light. If not, the whole place will look very dark and uninviting.

On 2/7/2016 at 8:30 AM, Khng said:

One note on tile selection. I feel that if you want to go for darker colored tiles or flooring, you have to consider the amount of light you got in the kitchen. I'm partial to kitchen must be bright with lots of natural light. If not, the whole place will look very dark and uninviting.

we are going to knock half the kitchen wall so hopefully that would make it brighter :) my original floor tiles would not be black but grey

so yes long hiatus as there was not much updates! we had good experiences with The Scientist, Hall Interior and 3rd Avenue so if anybody is considering can ask me for recommendation. We didnt choose them in the end due to budget constraints. Our ID was recommended by a fellow T-blogger and while not the cheapest, their quote was within our budget of 40k and they were quite responsive and accomodating and will oversee the project directly :) 

anyway we have gotten our keys! :) and currently waiting for HDB to reply us on screeding "cross fingers"...apparently it could take up to 2 months as there is a backlog. 

On the ID front, choosing laminate and its so far a big headache as the 3D rendering does not really look like the actual laminate and its hard to match the hundreds of laminate to our mood board :/ so anyway we are waiting for our 2nd 3D sketch which would hopefully help us decide better! 

our house also had not much defects which BSC have started to rectify a week after our request. 

large.12787595_10153314027007213_6754200

Hi, possible to PM me the list of IDs you consulted and which is your recommended and confirmed ID? Thanks!

Edited by wk23

8 hours ago, wk23 said:

Hi, possible to PM me the list of IDs you consulted and which is your recommended and confirmed ID? Thanks!

hi have pm-ed you

so.. we are waiting for HDB to help us with our cement screeding. Last we checked, it would likely only be done in May :(

While waiting for 2nd 3D , we visited  the laminate shops to help with visualising.. If you have problem like us prob good to go unless your ID can help to narrow down for you based on your mood board.  There are at least three at sungei kadut - Jennings, Lamitak and Lam Chuan. You can just walk into the show room.. and the staff were quick helpful and able to advise you on which sheet may match the colour you have in mind. You can get A4 samples and view the actual sheet itself. Some of the big sheets do not look like the samples in the catalogue so highly advisable to go down and take a look before you confirm..

Okay some of the options we are considering! like the black trimming..just thinking if shuld use black solid colour or black wood colour with the grains.. 

large.56e450dac93b9_ScreenShot2016-03-13

large.56e450d1874a6_ScreenShot2016-03-13

we should prob start to look for paint and tiles soon..

Edited by lyn2015
Test

After waiting for 2months for HDB to screed our place, our renovation has finally started and it has already hit its first hurdle. 

we wanted to use tiles in the dinning and living area and our ID has just informed us that the screeding is tooo high. So now we either pay them $600 to hack away the screeding or we change to Vinyl for the whole house :wacko: and Vinyl they said that cannot 100% certain that the floor will be flat. Or we can just leave with the living and dining room higher than the kitchen which is like husband's house. ( mine is step up into the kitchen).. 

so decisions decisions....

on another note, is it very difficult to install toilet accesories like water tank la, shower head etc .. I'm charged like $50-$80 for each item and wondering if we could do it ourselves..

13 hours ago, lyn2015 said:

After waiting for 2months for HDB to screed our place, our renovation has finally started and it has already hit its first hurdle. 

we wanted to use tiles in the dinning and living area and our ID has just informed us that the screeding is tooo high. So now we either pay them $600 to hack away the screeding or we change to Vinyl for the whole house :wacko: and Vinyl they said that cannot 100% certain that the floor will be flat. Or we can just leave with the living and dining room higher than the kitchen which is like husband's house. ( mine is step up into the kitchen).. 

on another note, is it very difficult to install toilet accesories like water tank la, shower head etc .. I'm charged like $50-$80 for each item and wondering if we could do it ourselves..

For things like toilet bowls, shower heads, water heaters etc, we were also quoted around that range. If you are a plumber or know one, it's possible to install it yourself I guess but it's not as simple as just drilling holes to putstuff up you also need to put copper or stainless steel water pipes in the right position and routing and mount them and have enough knowledge of plumbing to know what kind of connections is appropriate etc.

14 hours ago, lyn2015 said:

Just curious, after Hacking away the screeding, do your ID need to re-screed the floor? If need there is gonna be additional charge I guess which will be more than $600.

7 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

For things like toilet bowls, shower heads, water heaters etc, we were also quoted around that range. If you are a plumber or know one, it's possible to install it yourself I guess but it's not as simple as just drilling holes to putstuff up you also need to put copper or stainless steel water pipes in the right position and routing and mount them and have enough knowledge of plumbing to know what kind of connections is appropriate etc.

Oh hmm okay will take that into consideration.. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Reiken said:

Just curious, after Hacking away the screeding, do your ID need to re-screed the floor? If need there is gonna be additional charge I guess which will be more than $600.

Yeah need to rescreed but it was already part of the fixed cost of doing their tiling. $11/sqft

now there might be a possibility of having to level room floor at $2/sqft which will be $960. Sigh zzz 

Also, for showers, it depends on what type of shower you want - if it is just a simple hand held shower, it will be a lot less complicated than if you want a rain shower. For the latter, you would have to ensure enough water pressure. Also for some types of rainshower you may not be able to use an instant heater but may need a storage tank heater.

hmm true think we will just get a normal hand held shower.. 

so i guess the following items are quite reasonable?

To supply and install 30mm PVC outlet pipe for toilet= 2 x$ 50.00= $100.00
To install wash basin and tap for toilet =2 x$ 80.00= $160.00
To supply labour to install instant water heater= 2 x$ 75.00= $ 150.00
To supply labour to install toilet accessories= 2x $ 50.00= $ 100.00
To supply labour to install handspray= 2x$ 60.00 =$ 120.00
Supply labour to dismantle and re-install toilet bowl in master toilet=1x $ 120.00 
Total=750