Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ingenue26

Repainting Door Frames

Hi!

Sorry to ask a noob question. At the start of reno, my ID refused to change my door frames to the bedrooms (saying that my marble flooring will be damaged if remove existing door frame, and cannot find back the same size, blah, blah, blah) for my 20 year old apartment and so I got him to repaint the frames but it looks ugly now. I tried asking him to repaint the frames now in a dark color to hide the blemishes and he said he will have to charge me additional $150 per door frame!

So anyone can help me out of this predicament? I don't wish to pay such ridiculous amount so I wanna ask if I can DIY and repaint it myself before my bedroom doors get installed next week! The repainted color is glossy yellow and I'm looking at painting dark brown/black.

Edited by ingenue26

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yes can. Scrape off as much as possible, sand it down, paint base coat then paint few more coats smoothly on.

With a bit of elbow grease, you'd have them how you want them, without paying too much (just material cost).

Yes, it's true you cant change the door frame if you are not hacking the floor. It will damage the flooring.

The additional cost of $150/door frame is for a reason. We were trying to keep our renovation costs to a minimum so my hub DIY the door frame himself. It took him like 3-4 weekends to complete 3 doors and it was painful. We are the 4th owner, hence there were 3 layers of paint on the door frame to remove. We bought acid to peel off the paint layers and the acid vapour burn our skin and nostrils. After that, sand it down.