Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

So... I decided to do this. I have actually finished my reno and moved into my place.

I thought I share some thoughts on this forum about my reno experience. I don't think I will write a lot of posts, but will try.

My journey started about a year ago on 13 Oct 2014, when I first viewed this 4 room re-sale HDB. Made a very quick decision and issued the cheque on the very day after I viewed the place. I am actually very happy with my purchase. Near to MRT, parents, city and high floor.

The flat is about 31 years old, so would need some major reno. Will show you guys more photos of the old place in my next post when I upload all the photos! Below is the layout plan of the flat.

15-56400415-page-001_zpsth0cr3n9.jpg

I started to look for an ID in Nov 2014. Only met up with 3 but already felt so tired! Appointed my ID in around early Jan. Collected my keys on 21 Jan 2015! That was a very exciting day!

Next post I will show the photos of the place before reno, and the experience with the 3 IDs.

Edited by kaisermisaki

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

So... I decided to do this. I have actually finished my reno and moved into my place.

I thought I saw some thoughts on this forum about my reno experience. I don't think I will write a lot of posts, but will try.

My journey started about a year ago on 13 Oct 2014, when I first viewed this 4 room re-sale HDB. Made a very quick decision and issued the cheque on the very day after I viewed the place. I am actually very happy with my purchase. Near to MRT, parents, city and high floor.

The flat is about 31 years old, so would need some major reno. Will show you guys more photos of the old place in my next post when I upload all the photos! Below is the layout plan of the flat.

gallery_58978_675_168079.jpg

I started to look for an ID in Nov 2014. Only met up with 3 but already felt so tired! Appointed my ID in around early Jan. Collected my keys on 21 Jan 2015! That was a very exciting day!

Next post I will show the photos of the place before reno, and the experience with the 3 IDs.

It's quite different from the rest of the 4 rooms. A look at the floor plan, one immediate headache I would get is the master bedroom, with door from the bathroom jutting in the middle of the bedroom. Would like to see how you put the reno together.

It's quite different from the rest of the 4 rooms. A look at the floor plan, one immediate headache I would get is the master bedroom, with door from the bathroom jutting in the middle of the bedroom. Would like to see how you put the reno together.

Hey!

You were right! Visually the Master Bedroom looked smaller in real life. But because I lived alone, what I did was I turned the Master Bedroom into a walk-in-wardrobe cum study and Bedroom 2 as my bedroom. Will show more photos later. Still trying to re-size all my photos!

Edited by kaisermisaki

Hey!

You were right! Visually the Master Bedroom looked smaller in real life. But because I lived alone, what I did was I turned the Master Bedroom into a walk-in-wardrobe cum study and Bedroom 2 as my bedroom. Will show more photos later. Still trying to re-size all my photos!

Similarly i live alone too, and changed my master bedroom into a dining room.

So photos of the apartment before the reno. Like I said I needed to do major reno.

Living Room:

Dinning_zpsdig1tj6f.jpg

Living%202_zpsnks3wfk7.jpg

Dinning Room: (please note that the store room using be where the dinning room is. The previous owner hacked it away)

Dinning_zpsdig1tj6f.jpg
Kitchen:
Kitchen%202_zpspohoq7ez.jpg

Kitchen%201_zpsdltk0sxf.jpg

Master Bedroom and Toilet:

Master%20Bedroom_zpsp8vylafg.jpg
MBR%20Toliet_zpsxd5aweye.jpg
Bedroom 2:
Bedroom%202_zps65adq20x.jpg
Bedroom 3:
Bedroom%203_zpsse6czao5.jpg
Common Toilet:
Common%20Toliet_zpsd8ptikpw.jpg
Edited by kaisermisaki

Like I said, I went around looking for IDs in Nov 2014. Actually for a few years, I have been reading home deco magazines now and then, and I have bookmarked some ID websites for a while. I might have sent emails to 5 companies. Only 3 replied. Even though I only went to three companies, I felt that it was a very tiring process. I know some people go to more than 10 before making a decision, but I was a bit lazy LOL. But I was careful who I emailed, as I scrutinised their websites carefully before making that decision to email them. So the three I went to were:

• Fuse Concept
  • Three-D Conceptwerke
  • the association

For me, other than the company's portfolio that was a major consideration, the other is whether I clicked with the designer. I think this is very important. If you don't click with him or her, it will be very difficult to communicate with each other. Misunderstandings will occur and you may not get the look you want.

Fuse Concept

Actually they didn't reply to my email. I had to call them to ask. So Designer A replied me and made an appointment with him. Young chap, though not too experienced. I felt he was very polite, good personality. I actually met him 3 times, and was close to appointing him, but unfortunately I did not. Price issue.

Three-D Conceptwerke

I came across this company years back when they had a booth at some reno fair in Marina Sq. I remember I was very impressed by them, and I believe they were still a young company at that time. I saw their website and immediately fell in love in what they do.

Took them a while to call me too. Designer S was the one who contacted me. We met up and there was another designer with her. Designer E. So they come as a pair. Good vibes with them. She seem to know what she is doing. Took her a long time before she came up with the first quote. That was also part of the reason why I nearly went to Designer A. But when she finally replied me, her quote was slightly cheaper than Designer A.

the association

They got back to me very quickly. In fact the next day someone already emailed me. Made the first appointment to meet Designer Y. Ok to be fair they have an outstanding portfolio. I really like what they have done. But there is something about Designer Y which I was not too convinced. She felt a bit distant. I do not know how to explain it. Like I said I need to click with the designer.

Anyway, they do not provide a full quote for you. When I met Designer Y the second time, she only provided me with a quote for design fees, shopping time fees and drawing fees. She said that they will only provide the full quote only when I signed with them. Which to me is a bit odd. One, I cannot gauge how much they would charge me. Thus hard for me to do budgeting. So I didn't choose them.

I guess you should know who I chose. Designer S and E from three-d. I was quite happy with my choice. They were nice people. Very on the ball and I enjoyed the reno process with them a lot.

After appointing the ID. We got down to discuss on the layout of the flat. I already had some ideas:

• Firstly I didn't want to hack any walls
  • Secondly I wanted to shift the main door out (see orange). The previous owner bought the small corridor space in front of the main door. By shifting the door out, I have a small walk way, which I could build a large shoe cabinet. I do have a lot of shoes!
  • The original entrance to the common bathroom is via the kitchen. I wanted to seal it up (in green) and open it on the other side where the walk way to the bedrooms are.
  • As I wanted a walk-in-wardrobe and I didn't want to hack any walls, I though of moving the entrance of the MBR out (see red). Thus I combined the MBR with Bedroom 2.
  • The MBR toilet is a bit small, so my designer and I decided to move the basin out. Constructed a small wall (in blue) for the basin. So now I have a bigger shower area.
  • The original store room is gone. I didn't want to reinstate it back. If I do, the dinning area will be a lot smaller.

layout-page-001_zpsjg3bfjgr.jpg

I realised I don't have the layout plan in soft copy. Will try to find it and post it in my next post!

Edited by kaisermisaki

21 Jan 2015 will be a date I will never forget. Keys collection at HDB! Once collected the keys, met the Designer at the flat for them to take a look. This was the first time they looked at the actual flat. It was also for them to take measurements to see if the layout we discussed is feasible.

The Designers also organised various of their contractors to see the flat; including the Air-con guy, the Windows guy and Electrical guy. They all came by at different times in the afternoon to make measurements.

A few days later, it was selection of tiles. Bought my tiles from two places. Hafary and Hup Kiong. Both are beside each other along Baslestier Road. I like grey a lot. It is a neutral colour, and not over the top. So most of the tiles I selected are around the shade of grey or beige. Below are my tiles selection:

Living Room:

Living%20Room_zpsqfwig5vx.jpg

Kitchen Floor:

Kitchen%20Floor_zpszgtz4drj.jpg

Kitchen Walls:

Kitchen_zpsu5etf0j0.jpg

Common Bathroom Walls:

Common%20Bath_zpsk0gk1qpe.jpg

MBR Bathroom Walls:

MBR%20Toilet_zpsqwgoy9ws.jpg

Bathroom Floor:

Toilet%20Floor_zpswpljrqo8.jpg

The bathroom floor tiles are the same for both bathrooms. There are specks of sparkling stones in the tiles. :)

Bedroom Floor:

Bedroom%20Floor_zpsl8eevciz.jpg

The bedroom floor tiles are used for all three bedrooms. Decided to go with wood looking tiles, as they are the easiest to maintain!

Quite happy with the tiles selection.

Edited by kaisermisaki

I did mention that I have been looking at home deco magazines for a few years before I bought my place. It is a hobby and interest. Interestingly I do not have a theme of home design I am crazy about. Sometimes Scandinavian design appeals to me. There is also elements in classic modern I like. I also like certain things in industrial themed apartments. Retro also appeals to me in some ways. I guess you can say I am a bit eclectic.

But I do have some things I really wanted or didn't want:

• All windows must be sliding
  • No false ceiling
  • No brick feature walls (I have seen way too much in magazines)
  • Big shoe cabinet
  • Lots of storage, as I do not have a store room
  • King size bed for the bedroom I am sleeping in
  • Queen size bed for Bedroom 3
  • No carpets
  • No curtains

I didn't want a house that looked over the top. Wanted it simple and easy to maintain.

Becos I didn't have a set theme in mind, Designer S and E helped me to narrow my ideas down. They were great and patient. Showed me various looks and which elements from the various to incorporate into my reno. They also thought of my requests and needs.

In the end, some of my friends said that my place looks a bit retro. More mid century (because of the furniture). But there were elements of other themes too.

Yes to no brick walls and false ceilings! For me it's more of practicality and 'uniqueness'.. lol

Hey!

Yes! I am also very practical. That is why I didn't want false ceiling and brick walls. I work most of the days and I didn't want to spend lots of time cleaning the house. I want to enjoy the house. Having said that I also wanted a house that reflected my taste and character.

So this is the layout plan I managed to find. The plan is very close to the finished reno. Except that the basin for the MBR toilet is moved out of the bathroom, just beside the door of the toilet. The shower area is now bigger and it stretches to the other side of the wall.

For the common toilet, the shower area is now across from the entrance to the bathroom (where the old entrance used to be). The basin is just beside the door. The door is also a sliding door.

Lastly, the kitchen door is a casement door, and not a sliding door. Fridge is also nearer to the door. I have also put in cabinets beside the fridge. Washing machine is nearer to the window of the kitchen.

Layout%20Plan_zpsandxvxoe.jpg

Edited by kaisermisaki