Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Some thoughts about the entire reno process/experience.

To be honest, I never thought I would ever purchase my own home. I had been looking around, but was just looking, nothing extremely serious. I nearly bought another unit in the same block in Feb 2014, but someone out bid me in terms of the price. Was quite disappointed at that time. When I saw this place in Oct 2014, it was a very fast decision. Issued a cheque right away. Everything went so fast. Best of all I didn't have an agent. I did all the paperwork etc myself. Had to call HDB, CPF almost everyday to ask them what to do next, but thankfully they were very helpful.

As I mentioned, I looked for an ID in Nov 2014. Such a tiring process. Even though I only went to 3 firms, I felt like a broken record, repeating myself to all 3 IDs. HA! Anyway, renovating a resale, I would think, is a bit different from BTO. I have never stayed in a BTO before. I have always lived in an older HDB flat.

Having a resale has it's advantages and disadvantages. Of course for BTO some items are already there, like toilet bowls, tiles etc. If you don't mind them, you save a bit of money. For me I have to hacked away all the tiles, toilet bowls and doors etc. Thus that will add up to the cost. The other thing is I had to change all the water pipes and electrical wiring. All these are not concealed. Thus if you worry about the exposed pipes and electrical wiring trunking, you have to think about the position carefully. Some people has use that as a design feature.

The other thing about renovating a resale is your neighbours. One tip, before you start your renovation, visit your neighbour's flat directly below your unit with your contractor or ID. Why? To say hello to them and also to make sure that the condition of their ceiling. Not just for kitchen and bathrooms, also the entire house. The thing about older flat (in my case it is 31 years old), is that you do not know the condition of the waterproofing for the bathrooms and kitchen. Make sure you take photos of their ceiling, including the bedrooms and living room. Point out to your neighbours if there are areas that are already peeled off etc. Best if you make it as a black and white thing and get them to acknowledge it.

This became a bit of a stressful issue for me. I do not want to say bad things about my neighbours. But they did complain a bit to me and my ID during the renovation process. Dusty is one thing. Their ceiling started to peel off (in the kitchen area). Not that we didn't want to touch up for them (we did say we would touch up for them right from the start), but it became a bit of an issue and HDB was called in to take a look. When my parents renovated their place recently, their neighbours downstairs wanted the ID to replaster and repaint the entire ceiling. Oh well! But in the end my issue was settled peacefully. So do take note on this.

My other worry is that water proofing for bathrooms needed to be done correctly and good. I won't know until perhaps years later. We did do a water test, seems ok at that time.

Actually other than that, I didn't have much major issues with the reno. It went quite well, and it was on time. My reno was slightly longer, as there was the CNY holidays. So the workers took about 10 days break. There were some small issues here and there of course, but were settled quite quickly with my ID and we moved on quickly.

I will write a quick review of my ID in my next post! I think she is great! :)

Edited by kaisermisaki

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Some thoughts about the entire reno process/experience.

The other thing about renovating a resale is your neighbours. One tip, before you start your renovation, visit your neighbour's flat directly below your unit with your contractor or ID. Why? To say hello to them and also to make sure that the condition of their ceiling. Not just for kitchen and bathrooms, also the entire house. The thing about older flat (in my case it is 31 years old), is that you do not know the condition of the waterproofing for the bathrooms and kitchen. Make sure you take photos of their ceiling, including the bedrooms and living room. Point out to your neighbours if there are areas that are already peeled off etc. Best if you make it as a black and white thing and they acknowledge it.

Indeed, this is a good tip kaisermisaki. :good:

One problem with old HDB is always the ceiling (of your neighbour directly below). Getting to know their condition before any renovations helps a long way.

It is a must to do to me. Good to have good relations with your neighbours. Also need to avoid any misunderstanding later during the reno.

My ID touched up my neighbour's place and it was all inclusive in the original quote. so no extra charge.

Wow great tip on visiting the neighbours below! Mine is also resale and 30 years old to boot so we might do that too.

Hi all!

Sorry took so long to do this post. I would think this would be my last post here.

Can't believe I have been staying in my new place for over 6 months now. Loving it!

So... A review of my ID. Like I said before, she is great! For me, other than a good portfolio, personality is quite important when choosing an ID. I need to click with the person. The ID would be working very closely with you during that few months of reno. You have to like what he or she has done, and also able to sit down and discuss/brainstorm things. Attitude is very important to me.

Designer S and E, both are good people. I have worked with IDs before (when my parents were renovating their place years ago). I remember the ID we engaged wasn't very good. Yes granted he had some good ideas, but pity his attitude wasn't very good. We only found out after appointing him. He was fine during the first few meetings. After appointing him, the not so good attitude creeped in. Constantly late when meeting up, and didn't inform us beforehand. I remember waiting for him in his office for over an hour. Some times he would also get quite impatient with us.

Anyway, I am very happy with Designer S and E. Designer S has a lot of ideas. Some times I am unsure what I preferred, and she will take out her phone and show me photos of either things she had done for other clients or photos from Pinterest. To show me some ideas or solutions. Designer E on the other hand is very practical. He would advise me if ideas can be translated into reality, or how to go about implementing the ideas. It is really a good combi!

I must say both of them are very patient. There were times I was a bit unsure about things, and they will try to help me narrow my ideas down. If she is late for any meetings, she would inform me. Once the time is fixed, they will be there on time or just a few mins late. Designer S is quite happy go lucky type (at least in front of me). If there is a problem or issue, she would not fret over it and quickly help think of a solution. Very assuring most of the time. She is also very fast in responding. If she is in a meeting, it will take her some time, but she will respond to me. Every evening, I would go inspect the progress of the reno. If there is any thing not right, I would take photos and show her and she would act on it quickly.

Recently, I have some problems with the grouting in my MBR bathroom. I contacted them about it last month, and they told me they can only make it in Dec, which they did! Designer E actually helped me patch up the grouting himself. So to me they are quite responsible. I must say, it was fun working with both of them.

Looking at how Designer S and E work, I really don't envy their area of work! You really need a lot of drive to do this job. They have to juggle different projects at the same time. That is why sometimes they do forget things, and I would have to remind them. I don't blame them though. Too many small details to take care of, especially when they have different projects to complete and work on at the same time. I wonder how they even manage that sort of work load. That is why I try not to be demanding (I hope I haven't!). If they forget, I would remind them. If things go wrong or didn't work out, I would suggest a time to meet on site and discuss and resolve the issue quickly.

I am really happy that I have appointed them as my ID. I didn't have any major problems during my reno. Only that my neighbours downstairs kicked up a bit of a fuss about their ceiling. The rest are quite common issues I would think, nothing too major. Reno was completed on time. So I am a happy man :).

Edited by kaisermisaki

Hello ricepapergirl!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I do like my place. It turned out quite nice (to me at least!) I still have some things here and there to furnish. But will take my time. Perhaps some art pieces might be nice.

I can't wait to see your finished house too! Good luck and enjoy your reno!

Really enjoyed reading about and seeing your home! The design is very classy and it feels very cozy for a home! Thank you for writing it up!

Edited by kaisermisaki

Hi kaisermisaki, I am not able to PM you. I guess your message quote is full. Do you have an email I can contact you by? I have a few questions to ask you with regards to reno.

Thanks.

Hi!

Sorry! I cleared my mail box! Also PM you.

Cheers.

Hi kaisermisaki, I am not able to PM you. I guess your message quote is full. Do you have an email I can contact you by? I have a few questions to ask you with regards to reno.

Thanks.

Hi all!

Never thought I would post here again! Bought a few things recently. Finally gotten an office chair to replace the old Ikea one! This is a Herman Miller Setu chair. Delivered on Saturday. So far quite comfortable!

20160320_085102_zpsypss5d3s.jpg

20160320_085226_zpsfcy0hqhr.jpg

Bought this poster from allposter.com. Frame from Ikea. I have read bad reviews of the website. Delivery was a few days later than promised, but I didn't have any problems with them.

20160318_164345_zpsesshczdy.jpg

IMG_20160223_221932_zpshgdyndpx.jpg

On 12/1/2015 at 6:52 AM, kaisermisaki said:

Thanks guys for the kind words. Will post two more photos before I do a sort of review of my entire experience and also ID.

I bought this Ariston Inox 40L heater to share for both my common and my MBR toilets. I have been using Ariston for years and I find them reliable.

Ariston%20Inox40_zpsnjs9lhhh.jpg

Also this soap dispenser is from the John Lewis range from Robinsons.

MBR%20Soap%20Dispenser_zpslswl5v1q.jpg

Hi, would like to check if you did any servicing for your water heater? if you put your shower mixer to Hot only, do you notice any sediments coming out?