Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Luxexplorer

42 Years Old Getting A New Look

An avid reader of reno t blog where i have learnt a lot and now it's time to start my own blog so that more and more people can benefit from the renovation process especially for resale flat since it is much more to do than a BTO.

Although it is not my first home, it is the first time I have more time to do research into renovation after making a purchase of a very old 3 room HDB located smack in the city @ Chinatown. I am surprise at myself since I have never like areas too congested but after spending last 2 years living in the city, I realise that it is well worth it. Surrounded by 2 MRT stations and the 3rd one in progress, the new train station will be right at my door step (almost). famous food stalls every where, wet market, train stations, easy commuting are what I am looking for.

As I knew what I want, it was easy and the decision was made after looking at 3 units in the vicinity. Ultimately, it boils down to the pricing, facing ( I like morning sun facing), Privacy ( prefer corner unit) and how I feel when I step into the flat.

Reading the reno t- blogs here has been really an eye-opener at some of those beautiful BTO and kinda sad I will not have a chance to getting a new HDB :) There are some cool homes with lots of character and kudos to those who have contributed source of information.

Here is the layout of my new home and I will be getting the keys in 10 days time as I have agreed to let current owner stayed on for a little longer.

As you can see, a simple old layout where there is a separate toilet and shower area. But what is great is the rooms are really big

http://renotalk.com/forum/uploads/gallery_71855_3_65525.png

Expanded Floor Plan for 3 room

Edited by Luxexplorer

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Upper cross st? Was looking at that location too :P

I was looking at Chin Swee and Kreta Ayer/Sago Lane area. Walking distance to all the cool areas such as Club Street and Keong Saik Street which happens to have my favourite zhi char store there. Upper Cross Street next to Chinatown Point also very nice but price seems even higher. Did consider Cantonment area as it is near town and more secluded and quiet but really the thought of a MRT so nearby just hard to resist :)

Have you found anything you like yet?

Edited by Luxexplorer

My previous flat has been contemporary-luxe inspired hacking done to expand dry/wet area in MBR toilet, totally concealed wires, glossy homogenous tiles, wallpaper etc. Everything was black and sleek. This time I would like something totally different. Honestly I am not sure if the small HDB will be able to go all the way for the modern rustic loft inspired theme. I love the coziness and warmth that oozes out from a rustic home provides and my favourite is staying in those old italian homes in the countryside. Do you remember the movie " Under the Tuscan Sun?" :dancingqueen:

MODERN RUSTIC STYLE

Rustic style to an extend is making do with what one has - just as it was in the old days. It is a cross pollination with the industrial style and the more masculine gene of shabby-chic. Our main colour schemes will be brown wood, black and copper

Little tips to make it work

- Weathered woods

- Cozy colour palettes

- Distressed metals

- Natural and solid fabrics

- Brickwalls

- Nature

- Cowhides

33nkkf7.jpg

ixv5e9.jpg
sg07km.jpg
rlcraq.jpg
Edited by Luxexplorer

Ya... chinatown too ex, but near a lot of watering holes which I like.. ;)

Now, I'm near Tiong Bahru MRT... 2 mrt stops away, neighbour.. haha

I was looking at Chin Swee and Kreta Ayer/Sago Lane area. Walking distance to all the cool areas such as Club Street and Keong Saik Street which happens to have my favourite zhi char store there. Upper Cross Street next to Chinatown Point also very nice but price seems even higher. Did consider Cantonment area as it is near town and still more secluded and quiet but really the thought of a MRT so nearby just hard to resist :)

Have you found anything you like yet?

Contemporary Luxe sounds AMAZING.

Can't wait to see more updates! :dancingqueen:

Congrats on your new home!

Hey! I have been following your t-blog and I have to say that its fantastic that your home looks like one of those with lots of character. Can see why you are captured by the words contemporary luxe :o It is nice and a lot of effort went into making it feels luxurious and yet sleek. That is probably why the flat was sold in 1 month after advertising. I cant wait to see your completed project and that fireplace... oh man

Edited by Luxexplorer

Hey! I have been following your t-blog and I have to say that its fantastic that your home looks like one of those with lots of character as well. Can see why you are captured by the words contemporary luxe :o It is nice and a lot of effort went into making it feels luxurious and yet sleek. That is probably why the flat was sold in 1 month after advertising. I cant wait to see your completed project and that fireplace... oh man

Woah! So pro!

With the location + your design sense, this one confirm also hot cake if you decide to sell. Chinatown is a hit with the angmohs also lor! Especially with great design.

Now I feel so confident in your new theme. Confirm swee. I will be following this tblog looong after my house is complete. :sport-smiley-003:

Congratulation on your new home, I love the mood board. Very chic.

nextstep, thanks for dropping by and I just finished reading your reno progress. So exciting and always fast forwarding to see the photos :)

*Loft inspiration I love so much - they look so stylish without trying too hard but could be hard to pull off in a small space. While reading many blogs, I realised many don't go all the way and will incorporate scandi design as well. I will try to stick to modern loft as much as I can although being a practical Singaporean, I am always thinking how much maintenance will a particular texture be or how practical is such a design.. hahah

PS: hope that you can review your WC before I purchase mine..!

Edited by Luxexplorer

The search for ID/Contractor has started.
**I saw some reno bloggers see up to 10 contractors but personally feel that is too tedious and unproductive. Reason being that everything are all talk talk only and will only know when work commence ( by then too late liao) The best way is recommendation and work from there.

Most important - a honest person and easy to work + good workmanship is my top priorities. Renovation will definitely face some hiccups ( some big and some small) but most are rectifiable with some $$ but i dont want to deal with a rude or cant be bother attitude should issues arise. That will definitely add on to the frustration.

1) From the various blogs, the highly sought after Mr K from H2O whom I managed to track down on FB and send a message. They asked for my number but have not got back to me for 3 weeks. Guess that's a no then since they are so busy.

2) Visited an "exhibition" organised by an ID company. Creative Sky and was attended by a young lady S. As she took me around to see their fixtures, she explained the different materials on display which gives me an idea of all those Komplaplus, Iquartz, Lamitak etc which I have read in reno blog. Price seems reasonable and ranging about 50k - 60k for the 2 roomer full renovation. Tried to find more reviews about workmanship before deciding

3) Contractor D from In-Star Design. He was recommended by a family member as has been renovating their many homes for years. He is probably the most soft spoken contractor which I've met. Seems really honest and didnt try to hard sell me ( I don't like to feel pressured to make decision). We discussed some ideas and I showed him the moodboard and he told me it is achievable at least 70% by choosing the right materials and be prepared to step out of the comfort zone for a different design. haha,, he was able to tell that I want industrial and yet worry that the flat will be too dark afterall I dont have the luxury of those full height windows and also maintenance.

Suggested we try to balance design and practicality. Will come back with quotation from our floor plan discussion. For those 3D design have to pay extra with 2 amendments included but I told him I dont need it. Better spend the money elsewhere..LOL

Edited by Luxexplorer

I know this is so wrong ... but shopping has started as well even before I have collect keys and select the ID/contractor :) I chanced upon one topic here which was discussing about sinks and honestly I fell in love with the photos of all the bloggers who bought them : single bowl, double bowls, farmhouse style etc. I opted for the single bowl as I had the double in previous flat and this time I want everything else to be different. Tired of looking at the same thing after 7 years.

Besides the good reviews online and those horrid ones of their sinks from TB with rust and drainage problems, I have decided to spend some good $$ on the undermount sink. I just don't want to have to destroy my solid top / others to remove a faulty sink or to live with it just like 1 blogger who have to regularly pump the TB sink as drainage too small.
The pain could be worse than my pocket pain now. Being a sales person myself, I am very realistic that we get what we pay for..hehe

This sink also marked the start of my online purchases!!!! :notti:

The famous Kraus KHU100-30 30 inch Undermount Single Bowl 16 gauge Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink

http://www.amazon.com/Kraus-KHU100-30-Undermount-Stainless-Kitchen/dp/B0032BYM4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446777745&sr=1-1&keywords=kraus+sink+30%22

Also online at qoo10 (Only found it after I have purchased) @ $485. It is much cheaper and presumably seller has very good shipping rates.

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/KRAUS-KHU100-30-30-INCH-UNDERMOUNT/431851863

• Premium T-304 Stainless Steel Construction
  • Sound Insulated with Thick Rubber Dampening Pads & Stone Guard Undercoating
  • Channel Grooves Engineered for Optimal Drainage
  • 16-Gauge Steel for Added Durability
  • Handcrafted by Skilled Artisans

Also bought the Kraus Stainless Steel Colander

http://www.amazon.com/Kraus-CS-2-Stainless-Steel-Colander/dp/B0042D576I/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446777916&sr=1-2&keywords=kraus+colander

2mtsz.jpg

You want the strong, silent type, which is characteristic—counterintuitively—of the lowest and thus best gauges. No need to lose sleep over 16- versus 18-gauge, but when you get up to 22-gauge the metal is more prone to denting and vibrating, and less able to handle a garbage disposer. High-gauge drop-ins can be especially thin around the edges, making them ill equipped to support the heavier weight of a quality faucet. - for those who want to know about the 16 guage which is equivalent to 1.651mm.

Items received and they feel super solid and heavy. First thing I did was knocked on the sink to hear that solid sound that the group in reno blog has been raving about

Edited by Luxexplorer

impossible to achieve the 1st pic for hdb 5rm and not even for condo unless it is pen house unit.

for hdb if exec mas then yes possible

Hey Relacker... I am also realistic about that.. haha.. so can only try to get the "feel".

Because a small place with these elements might cause the flat to look really cramp?

Hahaha! Not wrong. I think we've all been there.

I slightly regret not going to Kraus road and ended up with a Monic sink instead.

Your home is gonna be epic!!