Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Sapphire89!

Just read your tblog! Yes we might very well be neighbours and so coincidental that we have similar design concepts (; Interested to see how your kitchen turns out too!

I spent time in Oslo too on exchange! Maybe we were there together? :P Have fun on your reno journey.... My place is at Tampines!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Feature wall: Malga Rtt (20cm x 180cm)

IMG_20151107_114201_zpstx3hoexr.jpg

The longer tile will have serious warping issue which is difficult to correct. Unless you have meticulous contractor who will pick and choose the most perfect tile to install provided there are enough selection for him.

The longer tile will have serious warping issue which is difficult to correct. Unless you have meticulous contractor who will pick and choose the most perfect tile to install provided there are enough selection for him.

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Yup, the staff at Hafary did warn us about warping issues and we did read up on it as well. For the shorter floor tiles, we are going to ask our contractor to lay in a random pattern, so that most tiles will overlap less than 33%. That's the recommendation to prevent warping issues. As for the long wall tiles, it will be tiled parallel in a row (only one row). Even if they warp, it should be fine because they are on the wall. The unevenness might even add to the texture that we are looking for (:

Anyway, just a question . Those who bought track lights (either locally or from taobao), anyone bought a COB (chips-on-board) version? Whats the difference between a COB and a non-COB in terms of the light emitted? I googled and they say the light from a COB one has less glare and is more spread out. Is that true? Anyone can clarify? :help:

A short post on our aircon selection. We were set on getting a System 4 for our new place. My GF left it to me to make the decisions as she was not too sure about the technical aspects of it :bleah: Actually I was also a total noob at aircons but I did read up on it and compared the prices between the major players and brands in the market.

So we all know that currently the most popular brand is definitely Mitsubishi Starmex; at first I was also considering to take up the System 4 version of this, until I went to the All Best Aircon branch in Tampines to check out the physical aspects of the different brands. Granted, the price of the Starmex System 4 (2-ticks version, not the 5 ticks) was competitive (was $3799 including installation). However, upon closer scrutiny of what was included in the package:

Mitsubishi Starmex System 4 ($3799)

Compressor: MXY4A28VA (output 28000 BTU)

Fancoil Units: MSYGE10VA x 3 (9000 BTU x 3)

MSYGE24VA x 1 (24000 BTU x 1)

So, we definitely need a 20000+ BTU fancoil unit for the living room, as we are going to hack away our kitchen wall. This package seems ideal, but the catch is that the compressor can only churn out max 28000 BTU by default. That means if want to switch on aircon in the living room + 1 room, they will be drawing a total of 33000 BTU, of which the compressor will be unable to cope; in the long run the compressor may be damaged. We figured if we have guests or family over, we will most probably need to switch on living room and at least 1 room. The salesman uncle was also nice to point out to us that the compressor was only 28000 BTU. Of course, there was another compressor model with a larger capacity (38000 BTU), but the price for that package would be upwards of $4400 IIRC.

So, we saw another brand on display:

MainPic2331_zpsmb5orfhd.jpeg

Toshiba Inverter System 4 ($3999 + $200 CapitaLand voucher)

Compressor: RAS-4M26SACV (output 34000 BTU, Made in Japan :notti: )

Fancoil Units: RASM10SKCV x 2 (9000 BTU x 2)

RASM13SKCV x 1 (12000 BTU x 1)

RASM22SKCV x 1 (22000 BTU x1)

+1 : So this compressor at max load definitely can handle 2 FCUs being switched on at the same time, plus at the same price (factoring in the voucher).

+2 : In addition, the FCUs are more sleek and aesthetically-pleasing (Starmex FCUs looked abit clunky to us).

+3: The only compressor brand that is Made in Japan

So we made our choice! :deal:

Other notes:

1. Did not upgrade to thicker insulation. Reason being the upgrade from Armaflex 3/8" to 1/2" only reduces the condensation by 10% (according to the uncle, and I do believe him), but increases the size of the trunking by 2 times (I :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: at the size of that thing)

2. Opted for 2-trip installation (extra $80) at the suggestion of my contractor. 1st trip to lay the pipings and trunkings, 2nd to install the FCUs and compressor.

3. Signed up for their servicing package

Our contractor has already proposed the optimal route for the trunking. Hope the installation goes without a hitch! :sport-smiley-003: :sport-smiley-003: :sport-smiley-003:

Edited by GallopingPuffin

Wooooots! Renovation has commenced! Went to our place after work to check out the progress of the hacking and discovered that both walls have already been torn down and most of the debris cleared :jawdrop: . Efficient!

Some photos:

d411413f-c493-4004-b2e5-93191c8f41e8_zps

Kitchen wall hacked and cleared!

53082c7f-cdce-4281-bcee-0539b5cdb6c8_zps

Gaming/study room wall hacked!

b31cfe39-309b-4ff9-afe3-6f88b751390b_zps

View from main door

87f7e61b-c8b0-4b58-9a61-5b90bd950ea0_zps

Saw some of the floor tiles have arrived. Couldn't resist taking some photos of them on the floor and sending them to my GF Think they will turn out great! :notti::notti::notti:

Welcome welcome to the high and lows of home renovation.you have some great ideas and looking forward to a home full of character

Lazyfatcat, ours are the old old homes so almost everything has to be renewed compared to the BTO which I am so envious of... everything we touch in the house also " ouch ouch so expensive " .. lol

Welcome and congrats on getting ur new house. Love your mood boards and ideas. Actually $45k is not too bad I suppose, my tiny 3room is around the region too :( Looking forward to see more updates from you!

Welcome welcome to the high and lows of home renovation.you have some great ideas and looking forward to a home full of character

Lazyfatcat, ours are the old old homes so almost everything has to be renewed compared to the BTO which I am so envious of... everything we touch in the house also " ouch ouch so expensive " .. lol

Thanks for dropping by! haha ya we are already mentally prepared for all the screw-ups that may occur :horse: . That's an inevitable part of the renovation journey!!

A short post on our aircon selection. We were set on getting a System 4 for our new place. My GF left it to me to make the decisions as she was not too sure about the technical aspects of it :bleah: Actually I was also a total noob at aircons but I did read up on it and compared the prices between the major players and brands in the market.

So we all know that currently the most popular brand is definitely Mitsubishi Starmex; at first I was also considering to take up the System 4 version of this, until I went to the All Best Aircon branch in Tampines to check out the physical aspects of the different brands. Granted, the price of the Starmex System 4 (2-ticks version, not the 5 ticks) was competitive (was $3799 including installation). However, upon closer scrutiny of what was included in the package:

Mitsubishi Starmex System 4 ($3799)

Compressor: MXY4A28VA (output 28000 BTU)

Fancoil Units: MSYGE10VA x 3 (9000 BTU x 3)

MSYGE24VA x 1 (24000 BTU x 1)

So, we definitely need a 20000+ BTU fancoil unit for the living room, as we are going to hack away our kitchen wall. This package seems ideal, but the catch is that the compressor can only churn out max 28000 BTU by default. That means if want to switch on aircon in the living room + 1 room, they will be drawing a total of 33000 BTU, of which the compressor will be unable to cope; in the long run the compressor may be damaged. We figured if we have guests or family over, we will most probably need to switch on living room and at least 1 room. The salesman uncle was also nice to point out to us that the compressor was only 28000 BTU. Of course, there was another compressor model with a larger capacity (38000 BTU), but the price for that package would be upwards of $4400 IIRC.

So, we saw another brand on display:

MainPic2331_zpsmb5orfhd.jpeg

Toshiba Inverter System 4 ($3999 + $200 CapitaLand voucher)

Compressor: RAS-4M26SACV (output 34000 BTU, Made in Japan :notti: )

Fancoil Units: RASM10SKCV x 2 (9000 BTU x 2)

RASM13SKCV x 1 (12000 BTU x 1)

RASM22SKCV x 1 (22000 BTU x1)

+1 : So this compressor at max load definitely can handle 2 FCUs being switched on at the same time, plus at the same price (factoring in the voucher).

+2 : In addition, the FCUs are more sleek and aesthetically-pleasing (Starmex FCUs looked abit clunky to us).

+3: The only compressor brand that is Made in Japan

So we made our choice! :deal:

Other notes:

1. Did not upgrade to thicker insulation. Reason being the upgrade from Armaflex 3/8" to 1/2" only reduces the condensation by 10% (according to the uncle, and I do believe him), but increases the size of the trunking by 2 times (I :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: at the size of that thing)

2. Opted for 2-trip installation (extra $80) at the suggestion of my contractor. 1st trip to lay the pipings and trunkings, 2nd to install the FCUs and compressor.

3. Signed up for their servicing package

Our contractor has already proposed the optimal route for the trunking. Hope the installation goes without a hitch! :sport-smiley-003: :sport-smiley-003: :sport-smiley-003:

How many ticks are the fancoil and compressor?

How many ticks are the fancoil and compressor?

2-ticks--same as Starmex.

Starmex has a newer compressor (MXY -series) that is 5-ticks. But according to the uncle at All Best, the 5-ticks is only achieved when the compressor is running below 21000 BTU (or something along that line, can't really remember). Of course, it is much more expensive too.

Here to share our Mattress purchase!

First, some context ~ My parents recently went on (and have since returned from) a 2-month retirement holiday in Europe where they had oodles of fun! :yamseng: Everyone was jealous of their shenanigans, especially with my mother posting photos of their adventures on FB every day :good:

What was a girl to do but have a field day, or rather, few nights (hoho) in their air-conditioned room and on their lovely queen-sized bed~~~ It was only supposed to be for a few nights...BUT BUT BUT! Their mattress was TOO DANG COMFY! :blink: My backaches became a distant memory and I woke up each morning feeling refreshed instead of like death warmed up :rofl:

SERIOUSLY?! WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?! HOW CAN A MATTRESS TAKE AWAY MY BACKACHES??? HOW CAN A MATTRESS BE SO AWESOME??? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

So of course I had to flip the bedsheets and source for that tiny sign that would tell me where I could get a similar piece of heaven for my new home.

The answer, ladies and gentlemen, is the Orthopedic Master from Cellini:

1417776562orthomaster3_zpsr5eczdmq.jpg

As enthused on their website, The Orthopedic Master is a firm mattress for sleepers with lower back aches. It prevents the lower back from sinking deeply into the bed and irritating the facet joints. YES YES YES, you marvelous people, you got it right! :D :D :D

We went to check it out and bought it after the BF gave the approval following a butt & body test. WOOTWOOT! :jammin:

Now I just need to wait a few months :~ until I can be reunited with my soul mate(tress) again zz

P.S. I think it is the best long-term mattress for us because a firm bed can help to lessen the backpains we both experience. But I still do love a good soft and fluffy comforter ala hotel "marshmallow beds" ~ Hopefully we will be able to find an affordable one (; Please let me know if you have any lobangs! TIA~

Edited by gallopingpenguin

Hi

How much did you pay for both your ceiling fans? They look good. Was the wind strong and was it noisy when you tested it?

Also how much did the cellini mattress? I also have a lousy back and tried out the pagasus(i think spelling might be wrong) range at a furniture shop (but i forgot the brand of the mattress), also quite comfy, and i remember the price was pretty reasonable.

p/s: i love ur greyish floor tiles.

Hi How much did you pay for both your ceiling fans? They look good. Was the wind strong and was it noisy when you tested it? Also how much did the cellini mattress? I also have a lousy back and tried out the pagasus(i think spelling might be wrong) range at a furniture shop (but i forgot the brand of the mattress), also quite comfy, and i remember the price was pretty reasonable. p/s: i love ur greyish floor tiles.

Hi there! The more expensive fan was $699, the other one was $499 (another $150 if opt in LED light). Tested both fans, wind quality was good; strong yet not-in-your-face kind of strong, if you know what i mean. lol. No audible noises. And they come with the "air circulation mode" where the blades will turn in the reverse direction. This is useful when the air conditioner is switched on; when the air circulation is good, the room cools down faster and hence reduces the stress on the aircon. My GF is particularly sensitive to ceiling fans, they make her eyelids heavy :lol::lol::lol: , but these two models were ok for her :sport-smiley-004: Can pm Phylux on FB for their latest prices. Can look for Keven if you visit their showroom in Paya Lebar, nice guy who served us.

As for the mattress, it was $1300 iirc for a queen sized one! After factoring in the discounts. Comes with pillows and bolster.

heh heh we love the floor tiles too! hope they turn out good! :wub:

Edited by GallopingPuffin