Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Heyy GallopingPuffin!

Wanted to ask you something Bro.. I noticed that you selected floor tiles which 15x75, want to ask you if your contractor charged you extra for tiling these tiles, as opposed to tiling a 30x60 or a 30x30 tiles? Any ideas on this! my contractor insists that they have to charge me at least about 80 cents/psf, if we selected a plank tile, such as 15x60 or 15x90 etc.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Heyy GallopingPuffin!

Wanted to ask you something Bro.. I noticed that you selected floor tiles which 15x75, want to ask you if your contractor charged you extra for tiling these tiles, as opposed to tiling a 30x60 or a 30x30 tiles? Any ideas on this! my contractor insists that they have to charge me at least about 80 cents/psf, if we selected a plank tile, such as 15x60 or 15x90 etc.

Hi there, not sure whether he charged us extra because the labour cost was lumped together with the cost of the tiles in the quote. Our flooring costs us about $10k in total ($4.50PSF tiles) for the living room and the three bedrooms. Did you try asking him for the reason? I do think it is more tedious to lay plank tiles than square tiles, though.

On 2/22/2016 at 0:51 AM, GallopingPuffin said:

Hi there, not sure whether he charged us extra because the labour cost was lumped together with the cost of the tiles in the quote. Our flooring costs us about $10k in total ($4.50PSF tiles) for the living room and the three bedrooms. Did you try asking him for the reason? I do think it is more tedious to lay plank tiles than square tiles, though.

Yes, I asked him for sure. He said that the tiler charges extra because the planks need to be laid out in a staggered way and they need to ensure their straightness.. Apparently that is a lot of effort, not to mention that they have to lay more tiles in the same area. Moreover, these tiles apparently do not have smooth edges, so the tilers have to file/cut them before laying down; which requires even more effort.. All in all extra 80 cents psf.. 

May I ask you the average psf cost for your flooring for the living room+3 bedrooms? Or maybe just tell me the total square feet of these areas. :) 

On 2/24/2016 at 0:43 PM, alprakas said:

Yes, I asked him for sure. He said that the tiler charges extra because the planks need to be laid out in a staggered way and they need to ensure their straightness.. Apparently that is a lot of effort, not to mention that they have to lay more tiles in the same area. Moreover, these tiles apparently do not have smooth edges, so the tilers have to file/cut them before laying down; which requires even more effort.. All in all extra 80 cents psf.. 

May I ask you the average psf cost for your flooring for the living room+3 bedrooms? Or maybe just tell me the total square feet of these areas. :) 

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Haha I am not sure exactly what is the area of the living room + 3 bedrooms :P My total floor area is 114sqm, though. Yup it is more difficult to lay long tiles. And they are prone to lippage, 

Hi, Puffin, saw your taobao purchases and I also bought the led lights.  Can PM me your electrical contractor and the bidet spray in chinese to me?  

Woohoo~~~ Reno is almost done! Let the pictures do the talking!

IMG_20160227_130924_zpsrlmlhh99.jpg

Bomb shelter door painted black!

IMG_20160227_131632_zpsfapab2bw.jpg

Main door

IMG_20160227_131108_zps06wdqpf1.jpg

Spider lights with Edison bulbs:wub:

IMG_20160227_125629_zpstjimquof.jpg

IMG_20160227_132743_zpsj2umrviy.jpg

Living room 

IMG_20160227_130756_zpscfpljlol.jpg

Island Kompacplus countertop up!

IMG_20160227_130832_zpsxm7ycnle.jpg

Kompacplus, Boston Cherry. Kompacplus countertop usually comes in 6mm thickness but we felt that it was too thin for our liking, especially for the island. So we got our contractor to increase it to a whooping 40mm! :sport-smiley-004:

IMG_20160227_131852_zpsesgalizj.jpg

Kitchen cabinet countertop, with Bosch hob

IMG_20160227_131924_HDR_zpsaway0rkg.jpg

Blanco Pleon 8 Sink

IMG_20160227_132121_zpsqlha5tsh.jpg

Black doors with black frames

IMG_20160227_132207_zpssj8oy9rm.jpg

Frosted glass door for toilets

IMG_20160227_132333_zpsodjjtdgx.jpg

Edited by GallopingPuffin

Wow love the pictures!! Everything looks so lovely!! I didn't even know you could get Kompactplus at such a huge thickness! Does it come like that or did your Id have do any sort of hack?

Love the kitchen island and the tiles and... hmm I think everything looks perfect :D

Do you mind to PM me the contractor contact and your reno cost? TIA

On 2/28/2016 at 6:55 PM, iluvfff said:

Hi, Puffin, saw your taobao purchases and I also bought the led lights.  Can PM me your electrical contractor and the bidet spray in chinese to me?  

On 2/28/2016 at 10:24 PM, Roy Roy said:

hi bro

mind to share your contractor contacts and your cost for reno. thanks :)

Hi guys, thanks for visiting. PM-ed!~

On 2/29/2016 at 3:45 PM, wsketchpad said:

I love your kitchen! Do you mind sharing how your contractor increased the thickness of the counter?

On 2/29/2016 at 3:51 PM, ricepapergirl said:

Wow love the pictures!! Everything looks so lovely!! I didn't even know you could get Kompactplus at such a huge thickness! Does it come like that or did your Id have do any sort of hack?

Heh heh thanks!! Can't wait to furnish our house!

Yup, at first we decided to give up on Kompacplus completely (because we can't stand the thin-ness of it) and just want to get something like a butcher block countertop, which will look more pleasing to the eye, especially for the kitchen island. However, our contractor advised against that because a solid wood countertop is not durable, prone to stains, and easily scratched. We were aware of these as well :wacko:. Then lo and behold, he said it is possible to make a "thicker" Kompacplus top, and proceeded to send us photos of his previous projects where he did these thicker countertops. We were ecstatic:dancingqueen: because we didn't know it was possible! So he did it by installing an extra thick piece of solid plywood on the top first (photos from before CNY), followed by "laminating" the top and sides of that solid plywood with Kompacplus. But the "wrapping" of the sides will incur extra costs, because apparently it requires some effort from the Kompacplus guys to make the "bend" at the sides. So we paid an extra $700+ for them to "zhng" both the island and kitchen countertop. :notti: money well-spent, I would say :yamseng: 

Edited by GallopingPuffin

13 hours ago, GallopingPuffin said:

Heh heh thanks!! Can't wait to furnish our house!

Yup, at first we decided to give up on Kompacplus completely (because we can't stand the thin-ness of it) and just want to get something like a butcher block countertop, which will look more pleasing to the eye, especially for the kitchen island. However, our contractor advised against that because a solid wood countertop is not durable, prone to stains, and easily scratched. We were aware of these as well :wacko:. Then lo and behold, he said it is possible to make a "thicker" Kompacplus top, and proceeded to send us photos of his previous projects where he did these thicker countertops. We were ecstatic:dancingqueen: because we didn't know it was possible! So he did it by installing an extra thick piece of solid plywood on the top first (photos from before CNY), followed by "laminating" the top and sides of that solid plywood with Kompacplus. But the "wrapping" of the sides will incur extra costs, because apparently it requires some effort from the Kompacplus guys to make the "bend" at the sides. So we paid an extra $700+ for them to "zhng" both the island and kitchen countertop. :notti: money well-spent, I would say :yamseng: 

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I think it's probably too late for our end to do something like that but this is a good tip for people who like the wood look but not the Kompactplus thinness (I admit I was tempted by Kompactplus too but didn't want to deal with the thin profile!). For me, I also considered quite some time about the solid wood butcherblock from Ikea but is probably going to end up with one of the wood-like but non-wooden countertops. I think they are laminate? maybe? Lol.

Hey Mr and Mrs P, nice reno!!:jammin: caught my eye that your sink and hob are pretty near to each other but you do have quite a bit of counter space.. deliberate decision? Mine was cos of limite space and I can feel the space constraint esp after washing dishes..