Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi, I am going to be a first time home owner and have embarked on finding suitable IDs over the past few months. I noticed that some of the IDs I talked to contribute to my proposed design (i.e, they make suggestions, etc.), some just take my suggestions and quote (no value offered) and one or two who insist on their ways.

May I ask my fellow renotalk friends, on what to expect from IDs, when we engage them for quotations? Is 2D drawings part of the quotation as most do not provide. A couple of IDs refused to provide (when the design idea is mine).

When I invite IDs over to the house when I get my keys, what should I look out for, what kind of questions to ask, etc?

At the point of selecting an ID, other than the price, design and comfortable level of ID, is there any other areas I should look into? What is the typical warranty period for renovation works?

After signing a contract with the IDs, what to do next? I believe I will need to activate the electricity and water for the house. I will need to provide a lock for the gate, and not to pass the original gate key, right? When will IDs provide 3D drawings - during renovation works?

If you have any other useful suggestions/feedback/advise for a first-timer (me), please do let me know. I appreciate and value it.

Thanks!

- BubblyBee

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Foremost important is your budget. How far are you willing to stretch? Then get the ID to work around the figure. The rest will comes naturally as you go along with the flow.

Hi AhChee, I have a budget and I have stretched to the point I can't go further. It is quite hard to find an ID who can work within. I have removed quite a number of items that are not necessary for now.

Hi MissySoniaLin, I do not have contacts for contractors. My colleague offered his contact who is a one man show and I wasn't comfortable. I understand that I have to engage different contactors for different areas of work. I do not have the time and resources to engage, monitor and coordinate between different parties. Hence.I decided to go engage an ID.

Guest Vicki Goh

Hi Vicki Goh, budget is $30K, not including electrical.

Actually S$30k is quite a good budget and can do pretty many things.

However what you plan to do?? Most of the IDs quote me about S$25k for a 4 room BTO.

Is your a BTO or Resale??

Basically I am also a first time owner and 1st time doing renovation too, I am in the midst of renovating my house now.

Edited by Vicki Goh

Hi Vicki, mine is a resale flat. So doing up the kitchen and 2 toilets plus changing of doors and windows. So far, the packages that I am quoted for kitchen and 2 toilets for resale flat are between $20K t $26K+. I have quotes ranging from late 30Ks to early 60Ks.

One of the forumers suggested engaging a contractor. So I am now considering the option, to save costs.

Guest Vicki Goh

Hi Vicki, mine is a resale flat. So doing up the kitchen and 2 toilets plus changing of doors and windows. So far, the packages that I am quoted for kitchen and 2 toilets for resale flat are between $20K t $26K+. I have quotes ranging from late 30Ks to early 60Ks.

One of the forumers suggested engaging a contractor. So I am now considering the option, to save costs.

Since you are doing kitchen and 2 toliets.. engage a contractor will be better.

Maybe u can do a background check for the contractor before u engage, visit their workshop will be preferred as the factory won't run and your renovation is in good hands. 30k is a gd budget to hack n retile for new looks