Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
prismo

Black V White Countertop

Our solid top is white in colour, looks nice but then really stains easily. That day i accidentaly left a piece of receipt from NTUC on it, when the paper got wet while i was cleaning up, the blue ink stained my solid top, its like the receipt was photocopied onto the solid top. I really panic like crazy. Hubby got some of the turpentine and clean, then i use soap and sponge to clean it off. Had to spend a few minutes before managing to get everything off

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My solid top is white too, it was the only colour to match my bottome dark brown cabinet and top white cabinets. So far quite ok, just need to wipe up everything after cooking or spilling something on the top.

White solid surface, hard to maintain, burnt marks, stains and stuff.

Black solid surface, once there's scratches, it will be obvious and the shine will be gone.

I would seriously consider granite instead, to reduce cost, try to design a "shorter" counter top by incorporating more tall shelf units? If it's within 6 or 7ft, you can have the entire piece of granite without the joining lines.

I've checked with my IDs, solid surface is about $80psf, while granite is about $130psf.

White is a big hassle in the long run. But its really nice.

U really need to make a point to clean up immediately after filling liquids like soya sauce or worse red wine.

My contactor mentioned 2 brands of solid surface, the better one does not get stain that easily, costs $400-$500 more. In the end we took the normal one.

Really MUST, I reapeat MUST, clean up immediately.

I have yet to move in, yesterday 1st time cooking, a drop of red wine, wow... so fast a bit of stain. Then had to spend a few mins to keep cleaning to get rid of it.

I AM SO SORRY EVERYONE. After my thread got relegated to the back, I forgot where I post. Just saw it again today. :sport-smiley-004: But I badly needed to hear it from you ppl esp. those who did the white tops.

So, white solid surface is the popular choice, aesthetically nice but needs much more maintenance. Hmm, is there no such thing as like a sealer to protect the surface? If I use this, I'll probably be in the kitchen alot more - CLEANING it.

Black solid surface - leaves white lines when scratched. In other words, must be very careful. Out of the question for me cos the kitchen is a "high traffic" place, cook everyday, well almost. If I use this, I'll probably be going "don't put this here, use a coaster, don't push the pot, you'll scratch..)

Granite - seems like the best among the 3 for me then. Cos don't want to be nagging and cleaning all the time. The rest of family probably won't be pleased with this decision (they like white and so do I) but I guess practicability comes first.

Thank you very much.

It's true that dark or bright colour solid tops can show scratches easily.

I'm using white solid top and we do heavy cooking at home. Everytime aft cooking, i use Magiclean Kitchen Wipes to make sure i wipe the entire solid top. Also once a week, i use Jif to wipe the solid top. So far got scratches but it's not obvious. But my solid surface top, still white as new. Sometimes i lazy also, to everytime keep cleaning but no choice lor, need to keep it clean ma...

It's true that dark or bright colour solid tops can show scratches easily.

I'm using white solid top and we do heavy cooking at home. Everytime aft cooking, i use Magiclean Kitchen Wipes to make sure i wipe the entire solid top. Also once a week, i use Jif to wipe the solid top. So far got scratches but it's not obvious. But my solid surface top, still white as new. Sometimes i lazy also, to everytime keep cleaning but no choice lor, need to keep it clean ma...

Hi Hasibee

Thanks for sharing. Ya, white is very nice but from what I read from the posts here, I think I am quite certain I will not choose white countertop. I am very lazy leh, don't want to be slave to the house.

Think I will take granite as the coloured solid tops are also difficult to maintain.

Granite is definitely better of course. If it's within ur budget, go for it !

I also use white solid top... i get the good one...

Granite is good and hv good heat resistance... but also hv to maintain...

nothing need not need to maintain one...

Well aware that everything needs maintenance. Have been running a household for a long time so know how tough it is to have to do so much cleaning etc. Now have to ensure that the new reno is functional and practical so as not to get headache, heartache and backache. :D