Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 19/05/2016 at 9:47 AM, ricepapergirl said:

Day 51 - End is in sight??

Finally some pictures! :D We knew most if not all of our lights are up and running, and we needed to pop by to pick up one of our LED lights that was faulty and get Chan Huat to fix it, so husband and I went over after work yesterday to check out our new place at night (and check whether the lights we got were bright enough!)

Excited excited, even when we opened the door the first floor was quite bright, just from the light along our corridor coming in through the frosted glass corridor windows! But the kicker was switching on our "entrance" wall light:

IMG-20160518-WA0008.jpg

Wah! Very bright! Good good. Love the up+downlight effect. The yellow wall in the background leads to the utility room, glass sliding door not yet fixed, the light in that room is also nice and bright!

IMG-20160518-WA0011.jpg

The trash on the floor is crazy! Lol :D ! But yay for our dining room light, the only "artsy" light we have. Also super bright, lit up the entire dining room!

IMG-20160518-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20160518-WA0007.jpg

The living room (still missing a yellow coloured wall) with one set of track lights on, and with both sets of track lights on. Still missing my balcony doors lol. Also, loving our simple black Fanco fan. That's the utility room's sliding door chilling out at the side wall.

IMG-20160518-WA0010.jpg

I really adore the colour of my balcony, it's probably not super accurate in these photos but it's sort of a bold teal-green-blue thing. This is us trying out the newly installed retractable awning (we got dark blue for the fabric so that if it ever fades it sort of becomes lighter blue which, hey, is the sky) and also checking out the newly installed metal brackets (if you squint you can see both of them) for our bamboo poles for drying clothes next time. It was not easy trying to find the kind that mounts on the side instead of from the ceiling!

IMG-20160518-WA0005.jpg

Detour into the kitchen and into the kitchen toilet! Frosted swing door installed and light installed! Mirror, shelf, towel rack and toilet roll rack also installed! Really am quite pleased at how expanding it into an L-shaped toilet has made it much more usable and less cramped!

No pictures of the kitchen right now sadly, but nothing much to see. Ikea kitchen installers (finally settled it with them, let me see the installation through before I give my review) coming next week! Cross fingers that everything will go well!

IMG-20160518-WA0006.jpg

Wall light at the staircase landing! This light and the one at the 2nd floor hallway (both are linked and are two-way switchable) provide so much light that we actually don't even need the additional light which is spoiled which we are bringing back to Chan Huat. Brighter still better so we're happy!

IMG-20160518-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160518-WA0013.jpg

The bedrooms have all been painted and their window grilles reinstalled and lights are up! Pale minty green for the nursery and pale yellow for the study! Parquet polishing to be done next week as well!

IMG-20160518-WA0016.jpg

Common toilet on the second floor with most of the fixtures put up!

IMG-20160518-WA0015.jpg

Same with the MBR toilet, with frosted glass swing door.

IMG-20160518-WA0014.jpg

Another favourite wall colour, really love this pale blue for our MBR! Track lights and black Fanco fan as well, almost the same as the living room layout!

There's still quite some stuff that needs to be done, but it really feels like the house is coming together, especially with the painting mostly done. It's amazing how electrical wiring casings kind of fade away when they are painted lol. We're popping by Ikea on Friday to get the rest of the non-kitchen furniture and hopefully can get them to install things like the bookshelves and wardrobes next week on the same days as the kitchen installation, if not, closer to when we get to move in, so although we don't have "carpentry" in the traditional sense we are also moving into the carpentry stage of our reno! Can't wait till all the stuff is done up (parquet skirting, parquet polishing, doors for the bedrooms, painting of the big pipes, big furniture, cleaning etc) and move in soon! 

looking good!!! love the window grills. hehe.. so retro..

btw how's the awning? does it actually prevent rain from coming into the balcony? =)

hehe.. we do have similar colors scheme for our place.. hehe

On 5/19/2016 at 6:41 PM, pankponk said:

@ricepapergirl wowww lookss nice it's really going to be the end soonn... love the ambiance given by the entrance wall light... can't wait to see the final pic :D

can you PM me Andrew contact ? TIA

PM-ed! 

Heh heh yeah I really like our wall lights too. Not very artsy or flashy but simple and easy to clean, most importantly!

3 hours ago, twinklecloud said:

looking good!!! love the window grills. hehe.. so retro..

btw how's the awning? does it actually prevent rain from coming into the balcony? =)

hehe.. we do have similar colors scheme for our place.. hehe

Hi twinklecloud!

Haha yeah I really love our window grilles too! The ex-owner said she spent $2k on them and designed it herself? Wrought aluminium or something. I'm just glad we got to keep them cos it saved us some money plus I can't find any nice window grilles nowadays!

As for the awning, for now it looks great but we haven't tried it for when it's raining yet! Anyway the purpose is less to prevent any rain from coming into the balcony at all, but to prevent the rain from wetting any clothes we hang on the bamboo poles, and since the brackets for the bamboo poles are so near the awning it should work. :)

We didn't go check out the house over the weekend but still did loads of stuff (it feels!) for the house this weekend!

Headed over to Ikea on Friday afternoon and bought our PAX wardrobe, KALLAX low shelves and relaxing chair for the MBR, and BILLY bookshelves and study table and study chair for the study! Also threw in a whole bunch of Ikea odds and ends (like the bathroom mats that we later found was being used by both my parents and my parents-in-law lol, and clocks and random kitchen stuffs and stools etc) since we were already getting the stuff delivered. The wardrobe, shelves and bookshelves are all getting delivered (with the rest of the stuff) on Tuesday afternoon and they will assemble them on Wednesday afternoon. Since my Ikea kitchen is also being installed Tuesday and Wednesday it feels like those two days are our "carpentry" days.

Also got boxes from Helping Hands and packed up the rest of my books (and kimono!) at my maiden home ready for the movers to come over on 2 June, and also started to pack like mad over in our current place. Current box count: 27 boxes and much more to go! Helping Hands only passed us 20 (though they will drop another 10 on Monday cos I requested for 30) medium sized boxes but we had some big boxes leftover from our move from London and the ex-owner kindly dropped off another 15 smaller boxes from her move so we should have enough boxes!

We also popped by the Warehouse Club (the NTUC wholesale place in Joo Koon), signed up for membership ($50 for 2 years) and managed to grab more than $500 worth of stuff to get free delivery, including 3 KDK standing fans! Stocked up on essentials like dishwashing liquid, handwash, swiffer, toilet paper etc and it all gets delivered to us which is great when you don't have a car. I guess only super-westies like us will enjoy the Joo Koon wholesale NTUC, most people will just think it's super far away! :P

Finally popped by a "neighbourhood hardware store" though this one was in a shopping mall (Jurong Point) and got other essentials like a doormat, 3M hooks and grout sealant! Gearing up for the move soon!

Day 57 - Ikea Kitchen Installation

Husband and I took leave today to be around when AZ Creative (Ikea Alexandra Kitchen Installers) installed our kitchen. Well, my husband had to be around the whole day whilst I had to run off in the afternoon for work meetings. It's not completely done yet, tomorrow the Ikea plumber comes for the tap and sink to be installed and actually we agreed with AZ Creative that we would undertake the installation of some of the "extra drawers" which they were going to charge us for, so we're going to try our hands at some drawer installation tomorrow as well. But! They installed my hob, my hood and my oven for me, and most of the kitchen is already done! Despite our initial problems dealing with their quotation people (which I'm still not particularly happy with), the installers themselves were quite efficient and proficient and from the pictures my husband took, seemed to have done a relatively good job!

WhatsApp-Image-20160524.jpeg

This was nearing the end of the day, with the hob and hood installed! Really like the look of the glass doors for the upper cabinets!

WhatsApp-Image-20160524%202.jpeg

Installed oven in the tall unit!

WhatsApp-Image-20160524%201.jpeg

Done for the day. The empty carcasses on the right are the drawers we have to install ourselves.

Finally, a look at our newly installed balcony bifold doors, still with the black protective stickers covering the white frames:

WhatsApp-Image-20160524%203.jpeg

Hey, We have the same bobbyn door panels. I actually contemplated a long time between grey and off white. Eventually I settled for off white.

i also have the glass panels. Though I only did 2 panels glass as I do not have so many stuff to display. Have a lot of junk that needs to be hidden.

if you have not included LED lights inside. Do consider it if you have nice porcelain or glassware to display.

Love your Ikea kitchen!! This style flourishes in big enough kitchens! :) 

and Thank God you went with AZ, the nightmare would be worse with the Tampines peeps!! Haha.

its all taking shape!! Excited for you!

That balcony Colour is gorgeous! When I first saw the pic I was like "IS THAT OMBRÉ !!?", the lights make it look like got gradient :)

we engaged Andrew to do our EM as well, staring in August! Where did you go to buy ur toilet fittings?

On ‎24‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:58 PM, Changbp said:

Hey, We have the same bobbyn door panels. I actually contemplated a long time between grey and off white. Eventually I settled for off white.

i also have the glass panels. Though I only did 2 panels glass as I do not have so many stuff to display. Have a lot of junk that needs to be hidden.

if you have not included LED lights inside. Do consider it if you have nice porcelain or glassware to display.

Hi Changbp! Yes indeed I remember seeing your Ikea kitchen and being quite excited about it! I chose grey because I actually wanted to avoid white and off-white (worried about them getting yellow or dirty) and was intending to go with Ikea's black-brown but thought it might make the kitchen look too dark, so grey it was!

Actually we just chose glass panels up on top for some variety, probably nothing much to "display" per se and our kitchen ceiling light is super bright right now. Still contemplating whether to install the counter lighting from Ikea (we bought it but haven't installed yet) since it's already so bright, even at night. 

22 hours ago, bykaraanne said:

Love your Ikea kitchen!! This style flourishes in big enough kitchens! :) 

and Thank God you went with AZ, the nightmare would be worse with the Tampines peeps!! Haha.

its all taking shape!! Excited for you!

Hi bykaraanne!!

Thank you for the compliments!! You've been an encouraging voice for my Ikea kitchen obsession for a long time! :) Yeah I think AZ installers are quite capable, not sure I would have reversed my Ikea kitchen decision if I had to deal with Tampines!! :P

Yeah the end is definitely in sight, we're moving in next Thursday OMG! Still need to finish packing like mad!

13 hours ago, gumbokins said:

That balcony Colour is gorgeous! When I first saw the pic I was like "IS THAT OMBRÉ !!?", the lights make it look like got gradient :)

we engaged Andrew to do our EM as well, staring in August! Where did you go to buy ur toilet fittings?

Hi gumbokins!

Thank you so much! I still love our balcony colour tons and tons! Haha I think if I tell Andrew "ombre" he will give me a WTF look, likewise for his painters. One can only wish!

Oooh glad to know that you've also engaged Andrew! He's really quite "steady" and will willingly solve your problems, we've had a great experience with him so far (and it's nearing handover for us! Lol). August! So exciting! We bought our toilet bowls and sinks from LE Bath at Sin Ming, our taps and shower heads from Hansgrohe, our instant heaters from 707 (Audio House clearance sale), our bidet sprays and mirrors and towel racks and shelves and toilet paper racks from Song Cho. Hope that helps! :)

herringbone floors! that's my favourite pattern :)

Did you get your tiler to cut the hexagon tiles in half for your toilet to get the half colour hexagons? If so, that's a really cool idea, never did cross my mind that such an option was possible. Love the effect!

5 hours ago, althevin said:

herringbone floors! that's my favourite pattern :)

Did you get your tiler to cut the hexagon tiles in half for your toilet to get the half colour hexagons? If so, that's a really cool idea, never did cross my mind that such an option was possible. Love the effect!

Hi althevin!

Haha yeah we weren't really really aiming for "herringbone" floors but it sort of ended up that way! Heh heh. Nice surprises.

Yeah the tiles were cut in half for that design, actually the ID suggested it and we liked it and it got done that way!

Re: metal brackets for laundry

ive been losing some sleep over my laundry area also haha! I won't be closing up my balcony, and I see neighbours just using poles without brackets. 

The awning won't block ur laundry?

also thanks for sharing where u got the fittings from

Edited by gumbokins

1 hour ago, gumbokins said:

Re: metal brackets for laundry

ive been losing some sleep over my laundry area also haha! I won't be closing up my balcony, and I see neighbours just using poles without brackets. 

The awning won't block ur laundry?

also thanks for sharing where u got the fittings from

Hi gumbokins!

Haha I know how it feels to worry about the laundry area. Took us a long while to settle that internally too. As it is, I think the awning is nicely above my laundry, the only problem is that half of my balcony bifold door either needs to be open or closed and stay like that whilst the clothes are hung there because opening or closing the door whilst my clothes are being hung will hit the clothes lolweep. And my brackets aren't the super strong ones (according to husband) so we probably can't hang heavy bedsheets on them, but that's why we also have a dryer.

When we move in and have our first batch of laundry hung up I'll take some pictures for you if you want? :D