Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jysel

Leaking Toilet From Base

One year ago, we had a major renovation and changed all the toilets bowls.

Recently, one of the toilet bowls start to choke a bit, water seem to flush down slowly.

I used all sorts of DIY solutions - dishwashing liquid, chemical cleaner etc but the problem persists.

After a week, I noticed a slight amount of water leaked from the base after flushing.

I called the plumber, he came and unchoked the bowl first and asked me to monitor if will still leak.

Two days now, more water leaked out from the base. Plumber said have to pull out the toilet bowl to rectify the problem.:(

How much is the market rate for such a job? Just wanna make sure I don't get carroted by the plumber.

Is it a very messy job? What do I need to provide for the job?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am not an expert but I had been curious on this, so during my renovation, I watch how my contractor do this.

To connect the toilet bowl to the building piping (sewage pipe), there is a joint with flexible bellows. I think your plumber suspect this joint (or bellow) is damage or was not properly installed initially (more likely the former). The other possibility is the toilet bowl has cracked at places we cannot see. You should ask the plumber for more details and how much it will cost. If he don't ask you to replace the toilet bowl, should not be too expensive. He only need to charge you for the bellow and workmanship.

In any case, this problem must fix. The water is not clean tap water, they are what you have flushed (water plus human waste). If you don't fix & don't use, can but if the water seeps to your downstairs neighbor house (toilet ceiling) and they call HDB (if gov flat dwellers) to investigate, then you still have to rectify. When this seepage reach your neighbour's house, most likely your wafer proofing is damage too and they will need to be re-do too. So the cost will increase. Since you have renovated the toilet, I don't think it will be 50/50 with your neighbor.

But I am not too well verse in this part. Other experts can welcome to correct me.