Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

ONE WEEK LEFT.

Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I've said ANYTHING. But truthfully, nothing interesting was happening the past few weeks. Lots of receiving things, waiting around, shifting light points over and over again. I no longer care about organising my blog content in any theme or topic each time. I just care about finishing this renovation and sharing it with you guys because I am a person of my word! Lemme just share with you some pictures in various terrible qualities, taken by different people lolol. I have met some amazing vendors and small business owners when looking for good deals, and will share it with you in another post. 

Bottom line: it's true when they say things will only pick up when carpentry comes in. And that began two days ago. We'll be done by this Saturday. Oh ma gaaaa.

2v01v6v.jpg

Doors are here! Brought to you by the sweetest family-run company called Home Doors Enterprise. They are by far the cheapest we've found, had excellent service and the quality is decent too. Basically whatever you've been looking at in those typical door catalogues, they will have. Look for them on Facebook or Carousell! (This door is for our mbr bathroom =D)

34qv7t4.jpg

Floors are in, with the slightly moody paint colour for the master bedroom. So feeling!

2ciij4m.jpg

My husband and I spent one night after work crouching tiger-ing outside our house, spray painting our IKEA handles and knobs with Rustoleum. Got a tip from a fellow renotalker (thank you so much!) and these babies look great. They were still sticky when we transported them to the new place, but all in all I think it wasn't too bad a job.

29gbhqt.jpg

WIP cabinets. But not bad hor? Exciting like mad, and these are just kitchen cabinets. -_- pardon the poor quality image. My husband says our ID was probably in the middle of a riot, being gassed.

2qmf79e.jpg

We had a stroke of genius one night on Pinterest. There are these huge beams above our kitchen entrance that we can't hack away. We decided to embrace them (helps that our ceilings are high) and paint them a bold blue to match the cabinets. Like a boxed up kitchen. Can't wait for the outcome! 

hvb9di.jpg

There was a flurry of activities yesterday and we saw it all unfold on our carpenter's IG. They are so crazy efficient, I'm so so glad we got them.

So yeah, furniture is coming this weekend too. Lights will come last, just next week. I can't wait to share the finished look, and to move in! 

Edited by hellofromanotherside

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Buey pai right the rustoleum!! 

Especially the universal range. :) just letting u know in the high traffic areas (near sink etc) it does rub off, but my painter taught me the trick - for those handles that cannot be taken out, can just spray on a sponge and dab to cover up the areas that rubbed off. :) 

HTH! Can't wait for it to end so I can see the completed result!

Omg, time flies. The last time I was around the forum, I think you encountered some delays and couldn't start yet. Now it's almost finished! Super excited to see how everything turns out. And I get it about no longer wanting to keep the t-blog organized. I had absolutely zero energy left for anything else during the renovation period :bow: 

Hello!! Funny coincidence coz I saw that weirdly placed hob at the corner, brass handles, marble top and had an inkling this was you. Hurhur. The bohemian look is so you, btw. Better do more than just cook maggi in that beautiful kitchen. (:

Hi, I have been a silent reader all this while. Your house is gonna look so beautiful. By the way, your contractor is P company right? Saw the pictures on IG. Their carpentry looks really awesome. 

On 5/25/2016 at 7:59 PM, bykaraanne said:

Buey pai right the rustoleum!! 

Especially the universal range. :) just letting u know in the high traffic areas (near sink etc) it does rub off, but my painter taught me the trick - for those handles that cannot be taken out, can just spray on a sponge and dab to cover up the areas that rubbed off. :) 

HTH! Can't wait for it to end so I can see the completed result!

Ah yes, you're the person I have to thank! And great tip about the sponges =D

On 5/25/2016 at 10:34 PM, owlNbear said:

Omg, time flies. The last time I was around the forum, I think you encountered some delays and couldn't start yet. Now it's almost finished! Super excited to see how everything turns out. And I get it about no longer wanting to keep the t-blog organized. I had absolutely zero energy left for anything else during the renovation period :bow: 

On 5/25/2016 at 9:05 PM, pankponk said:

The black frame glass door really match with the subway tiles :good:

Really looking forward for the end result :yeah:

Thanks, guys! It's all slowly but surely coming together. I'm a bit nervous about sharing pics of the completed house lol. Like so much pressure!

On 6/1/2016 at 1:02 PM, YellowStranger said:

Hello!! Funny coincidence coz I saw that weirdly placed hob at the corner, brass handles, marble top and had an inkling this was you. Hurhur. The bohemian look is so you, btw. Better do more than just cook maggi in that beautiful kitchen. (:

Ahh so much for wanting to remain anonymous! I think I know who you are =D And thank you for not outing me hahaha.

13 minutes ago, kaino86 said:

Hi, I have been a silent reader all this while. Your house is gonna look so beautiful. By the way, your contractor is P company right? Saw the pictures on IG. Their carpentry looks really awesome. 

Yes! They're as efficient as they seem on IG! Thank you for reading =D

Another week has passed, and how naive of us to think the last few days will go on smoothly. We faced two pretty major hiccups, but because I'm not the sort to agonise over these problems (especially when we have straightforward solutions), I'm just gonna mention them briefly. 

1. Our cement screed turned out AWFUL. And it wasn't anyone's fault really. As you know, HDB has these new rules about only using their prepacked cement for screeding. My contractor applied an ultratop as the final overlay, and because the mixture didn't mix well, the floor turned out extremely patchy - some looked glossy, some parts look matte. There was also a strange bronze-y sheen. The solution is to hack the living + dining area and reapply the screed. No extra costs for us, because my contractor has graciously decided to absorb the expenses. Downside is, instead of moving in last weekend, we'll have to wait another week.

2. Remember how in love I was with our brass handles? Well, to transport them safely to the new home, my husband and I lovingly wrapped each handle with a paper towel. Unfortunately, when we unwrapped them...the patterns on the paper towels were engraved on our handles! Actually, some bits of tissue also stuck! Homg. All those hours of hard work. We decided to contact a guy to brass plate the handles instead - costlier, but also least a more permanent solution.

On the bright side, the kitchen is almost ready! Lights are in, so are the aircon units. Funny how these things can really make a house feel home.

2nbhgdg.jpg

If you've been following me from the start, you'll know our kopitiam chairs were a different colour before. We bought this awesome Annie Sloan chalk paint from Flower Girl at Dempsey, which doesn't require you to sandpaper off older coats of paint before adding a new layer. They adhere beautifully to the chairs, giving a matte look. They're about $80 for a one litre can though. But the paint goes a long way. 

2vtb8kh.jpg

Our bedframe from Commune is here! The Commune guys are awesome. We had three items delivered and installed the same day. 

2ey9tg5.jpg

I have very strong feelings for the tv console. Behind it is our built-in wardrobe for the MBR. Doesn't get more plain than beige heheh.

347absi.jpg

Allow me to obsess over our kitchen for a while. The marble-esque countertop is in! I wish I had better pictures of this, but after installing they smartly covered the top to protect it while renovation is on going. 

b7gitf.jpg

Our entryway is painted a matching blue. We bought this really cute bench from Grafunkt and will place it there, plus a large colour-block mirror from Westelm. We decided to cube up the kitchen and use the beams to our advantage (in the next picture). If you can't hack 'em, show 'em off!

2ep56ae.jpg

What you see from the shoe cabinet. I love the outcome!

15d0x9u.jpg

The corridor leading to our bedrooms. As much as possible, we got doors that would allow some light in. And you can get a glimpse of our cmi flooring. Trust me, it's worse irl.

Aww so sad for you about the handles! We had no issues with the transportation! :/ we just left them standing I think. Yours probably needed to dry even more before picking. But I guess the plating will be even more gorgeous :) love your kitchen!

On 5/25/2016 at 5:42 PM, hellofromanotherside said:

ONE WEEK LEFT.

Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I've said ANYTHING. But truthfully, nothing interesting was happening the past few weeks. Lots of receiving things, waiting around, shifting light points over and over again. I no longer care about organising my blog content in any theme or topic each time. I just care about finishing this renovation and sharing it with you guys because I am a person of my word! Lemme just share with you some pictures in various terrible qualities, taken by different people lolol. I have met some amazing vendors and small business owners when looking for good deals, and will share it with you in another post. 

Bottom line: it's true when they say things will only pick up when carpentry comes in. And that began two days ago. We'll be done by this Saturday. Oh ma gaaaa.

2v01v6v.jpg

Doors are here! Brought to you by the sweetest family-run company called Home Doors Enterprise. They are by far the cheapest we've found, had excellent service and the quality is decent too. Basically whatever you've been looking at in those typical door catalogues, they will have. Look for them on Facebook or Carousell! (This door is for our mbr bathroom =D)

34qv7t4.jpg

Floors are in, with the slightly moody paint colour for the master bedroom. So feeling!

2ciij4m.jpg

My husband and I spent one night after work crouching tiger-ing outside our house, spray painting our IKEA handles and knobs with Rustoleum. Got a tip from a fellow renotalker (thank you so much!) and these babies look great. They were still sticky when we transported them to the new place, but all in all I think it wasn't too bad a job.

29gbhqt.jpg

WIP cabinets. But not bad hor? Exciting like mad, and these are just kitchen cabinets. -_- pardon the poor quality image. My husband says our ID was probably in the middle of a riot, being gassed.

2qmf79e.jpg

We had a stroke of genius one night on Pinterest. There are these huge beams above our kitchen entrance that we can't hack away. We decided to embrace them (helps that our ceilings are high) and paint them a bold blue to match the cabinets. Like a boxed up kitchen. Can't wait for the outcome! 

hvb9di.jpg

There was a flurry of activities yesterday and we saw it all unfold on our carpenter's IG. They are so crazy efficient, I'm so so glad we got them.

So yeah, furniture is coming this weekend too. Lights will come last, just next week. I can't wait to share the finished look, and to move in! 

Is the black framed door for bathrooms? Is it a glass door? I've been looking for bathroom doors and I find this is the nicest one i've seen so far! i don't like bi-folds because my previous place have bi-folds and have a lot of problems and also pretty loud when you close them. Can you PM me how much is your door? Thanks!

I think we eyeing the same thing or we have the same taste ahhahahah I'm KIV the same TV console as yours and I have imagination to paint my walkway from entrance to kitchen in Dark blue :P

Now I can imagine my concept with your actual pic... the dark blue kitchen super nicee and now waiting for your tom dixon lighting pic or maybe more pic pls:yeah:

On 6/6/2016 at 5:08 PM, bykaraanne said:

Aww so sad for you about the handles! We had no issues with the transportation! :/ we just left them standing I think. Yours probably needed to dry even more before picking. But I guess the plating will be even more gorgeous :) love your kitchen!

Yeah was quite unlucky with the handles - we really thought wrapping them up individually was a good idea lol. But it all turned out well =)