Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AngryHomeowner

Is This Kind Of Workmanship Acceptable?

Hello,

I have engaged an ID to fully take charge of the renovation for my 40 yo resale HDB flat.

So far, I have paid 55% and ID is demanding the next 40% payment before they proceed with installation of cabinets and vinyl flooring.

After checking the wall tiles in kitchen and toilet, find that the workmanship of the sub-contractor is undesirable.

Can anyone tell me whether I'm too fussy or the workmanship is really poor?

Pictures attached.

uneven tile 2

uneven tile 1

Joint

drill wrongly

crooked edge

chipped tile

broken tile

Thanks & appreciate your feedback!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think i will ask them to redo .. but for pic 5 i had the same problem too, after we feedback to the tiler, they came back to kinda polish/smoothen n at least the rough edges are smoother and not so obvious liao.

Pic 2, 3 and pic 7 - i can understand ur frustration, frankly i cannot accept it. To me, its very clear this is a NEW JOB , new tiles . Paying the price for a brand new job, so don't give me the work of a touch up job

Suggest that u mark all these areas and make ur ID rectify - thats his job. Obviously he failed to coordinate resulting in drilling the wrong location

I wouldn't accept it, especially 3rd 4th and last. Would ask for rectifications to be made as well. However I'm not sure at this stage how much can be done. Any experienced renotalkers able to weigh in on this?

Edited by owlNbear

Hi Angryhomeowner,

Photo 3,4 and the last looks like the tiles have chipped off and this is not acceptable because it is part of their job to ensure the new tiles remains new at handover. I believe the tiles can be replaced so you can speak to your contractor about this.

The other areas although not perfect but relatively acceptable to me even though the tiler could have done a better job knowing that a 40 years old flat will need more attention especially since the walls are crooked and uneven etc. Photo 1 and 2 probably can ask them to re-grout to have more evenness?

Guest Marvellous

Workmanship looks novice. Can share which company so others can avoid?

Kam sia.

I am currently holding on to my contractor payment as well and delay my renovation as well. Job was re-do for 3 times. If you as the owner cannot accept, it is better to voice out and hold to their payment. Though it can be stressful at times as they keep on chase for the payment.