Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andrew

Getting The Correct Angle For Washing Bay Tap

My washing bay tap leaked and I DIY a replacement. Changing it is the easy part. The tough part is how to make sure the angle is correct such that the tap is facing down!

Tried putting more coils of white tapes, but to no avail. Cracking my head, anyone here has a solution to this?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Put enough white tape around the male thread. Then install the tap.

The trick is not to over turn. As soon as you feel that you need more force to turn the tap, you must be prepare to rotate it to the next correct position & stop. If you overturn, then you either go 1 more round (if it is still possible) or you need to remove it complete, apply new tape and do it again.

A trick I use is to count the number of round I apply the white tape on the male part and the number of times I turn the tap.

Say I wind the tape on the male part 10 times and I install the tap. If I turn the tap 5 times and it become too tight for me to turn it another complete round, I will remove the tap and the old tape, apply white tap (13 times) and install the tap again. This time, when I install the tap, I am prepare to stop on the 4th turn (with the tap in the correct position). The numbers above are just example only.

More hand on will help. It's all about experience, hard to express in word.

I guess you don't have the right tool - hexagon water tap spanner - a tube-like both end with different size hexagon holes.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=hexagon+water+tap+spanner+image&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBSG663SG663&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=p3-wJbesD7SuQM%253A%253BYTyLYIKEwZGoSM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk%25252Fbasin-tap-wrenches%25252Fdo-basin-tap-wrenches-come-in-different-sizes%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=p3-wJbesD7SuQM%253A%252CYTyLYIKEwZGoSM%252C_&usg=__0Lu8vDIqYIbUSVG_Uh0tMncwIwc%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjX3uvpr_HKAhVIHI4KHQnQBkwQyjcIMw&ei=lV29VpfAIMi4uASJoJvgBA#imgrc=p3-wJbesD7SuQM%3A

Turn tap head slightly left-ward (1/4) after nut hand-tied. BTW, need rubber/plastic spacer in between...

Edited by bepgof