Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vivastar1

My Bto At Sims Place - Experience With A Contractor

Hi, just to share how i did my 3 room flat reno. I had browse Reno talk for ideas as well and just wish to share.

The first stage is to pick Interior Designer or Contractor. I shortlisted from friends recommendation just 3 companies to get quotation from rather than see endless lists of quotes. Basically I decided to go for quality not quantity for efficiency.

As mine is a 3 room flat, i find Daddywhite posting on his 3 room flat very useful. He had used Woodplus Design. I did speak to Woodplus design. The overall feeling was good, Derrick attended to us, he was a very confident guy, he said 9 out of 10 people he spoke to sign him on. Derrick gave us a quotation based on floor plan.

We had also some referals from friends. Checked out United Team. Desmond attended to us. By this time we have collected keys, the first meeting was at our BTO place. It was a good meeting and Desmond was able to look around and give ideas and suggestions based on what we want. He is very likable and sincere, basically if budget is not a problem, we would like to have him design for us.

Thirdly we saw a contractor from Fortuna Renovation, a contractor. He did my uncle's house renovation a couple of years ago, and everything went pretty well there from what we hear, all the capentry are still looking good.

We chose to go with a contractor rather than ID due to the price. For the first quotation, basically we asked quotation for everything ie all the miscellaneous ie extra coating for the floor, so its easier for us to take things out from the itemised quotations once its done to fit our budget. The difference between the quotes was about SGD15,000 but I stress that its also not possible to compare just like that, because when we talk to United Team and Fortuna, their design ideas were different as well and they also proposed different miscellaneous items, hence costings will be different. Its not like both offered exact same design, just different price. For example United Team quotation include a customised bed frame and extra floor coating whereas Fortuna's ones didnt as they do not provide such items.

Sharing my floor plan here, its just a tiny 3 room flat, the brief is also to include as much storage space as possible.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/7761/iFFiCp.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

So far, Mr Goh, our contractor from Fortuna Renovation has really impressed us with his service. We have just confirmed him around b4 CNY and also there was a new ‘deadline” we gave him, we said everything needs to be done by third week of March. This is because we have an altar at home, and after consultations the March date was the only possible good date to invite the Buddhas to the new home. Mr Goh is willing to commit to the deadline. With this deadline, there was to be no dilly dally over choosing of things like sinks, kitchen hoods and stove. We do not have a car, and Mr Goh even drove us for an afternoon to place where we can purchase these, he brought us to his friend’s place, and got them to waive off GST for the items we purchased.

So far the discussions with him, he is very amiable and easy to talk to and willing to listen to what you want. He looks a little like Santa Claus, those jolly man type. I wasn’t able to google anything of his company and as him how he gets business, he said its mainly through word of home, he will do up the homes until the customers is happy and so long customers is happy he is happy. Yup, that doesn’t answer the question I pose to him, but I think that’s his motto. He isn’t worried about finding customers, as he feels so long his customers are happy, they will just keep streaming in. So far, very impress with his service, hence posting here, so people renovating can consider him as well. Once our renovation is done will also post photos!

Hello, vivastar1

I'm also staying at Sims Place, getting my keys in a 2/3 months, still looking around for contractors.

Hope to see more from you....

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

This is Keith, i was a carpenter for doing all type of cabinet and build in wardrobe. if you guys are looking for reasonable price of carpentry work can look for me.

Between, i do cover for whole house renovation if you don't want to be trouble to look after the site while renovation start. 

Anything question do not be hesitate to reach me in keithLing@gmail.com. 

Yes mine is 3 room, hoping to get a contractor cos only doing basic simple reno, the wait is because I need to sell my current unit to finance the new one.