Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jwchu168

What Exactly is included in that $120 pfr rate for Kitchen Cabinet?

Hello Renotalkers,

Like to seek advice from seasoned forumers as I'm re-doing my home current.
I noticed the market rate for Kitchen Cabinets is around $120 pfr which was what my ID quoted for me.

However, when we are doing the detailing, he is charging me extra for things such as these...

Saucer Rack: + $220
Drawers: +$600 for 4 drawers using Blum track (Apparently $120 pfr only gets cupboard door...not Drawers)
Bi-Fold Door for Corner L-shape: + $150
Extra 4ft of counter Top w open-concept Internal PVC for Washing Machine: +$550
Dish hanging rack w glass cover: +$250

Just like to check if this is normal? in my previous renovation where I had 2 Saucer Racks and Dish-Hanging rack, there was no VO....has there been a change in market standards?

Thank you very much renotalk.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
1 hour ago, jwchu168 said:

Hello Renotalkers,

Like to seek advice from seasoned forumers as I'm re-doing my home current.
I noticed the market rate for Kitchen Cabinets is around $120 pfr which was what my ID quoted for me.

However, when we are doing the detailing, he is charging me extra for things such as these...

Saucer Rack: + $220
Drawers: +$600 for 4 drawers using Blum track (Apparently $120 pfr only gets cupboard door...not Drawers)
Bi-Fold Door for Corner L-shape: + $150
Extra 4ft of counter Top w open-concept Internal PVC for Washing Machine: +$550
Dish hanging rack w glass cover: +$250

Just like to check if this is normal? in my previous renovation where I had 2 Saucer Racks and Dish-Hanging rack, there was no VO....has there been a change in market standards?

Thank you very much renotalk.

Hi there, i dont remember my ID quoting me that much. Only for the drawer track and casement door which we wanted to upgrade to soft closing type as the quoted price usually comes with basic grade of hinges, tracks and mechanisms. All the accessories you mentioned was included for my case. 

Feeling surprised that no many replies to this very important question..
Getting a feeling that perhaps most posters in this forum are from the industry and not keen to reveal.

It feels like a classic switch and bait tatic...always say that detailing comes later and that's where the additional cost will be added..Future buyers please beware. Do all your detailing upfront if possible or at least make clear what you expect in your cupboards and have every item listed down in your quotation

• Like 1

Hi Jwchu168

Since no one is replying you, let me share with you from someone who has been in this industry for 9.5 years.

There are many ways of doing Interior Design in Singapore. One way (and the cheaper way) is to engage a Design & Build Contractor. There are a few ways to identify Design & Build Contractors - they usually have a shop front; they like to appear in ID fairs/expos; their interior features a lot of built-in cabinetry works (because they do and earn less if the built-in is replaced by loose furnitures); and most importantly, they can give you a quotation very quickly, even before details of the design are discussed.

They like to secure their customers first by offering an attractive low price. Many home owners like the idea that they 'confirm' a price on day one and therefore they are certain how much they are going to spend on their ID, but in fact the opposite is true when they engage D&B Contractors. 

D&B contractor's standard practice is that their day-one quotation usually covers the bare minimum basics. Usually, home owners will not be able to fully understand the content of the quotation, or predict/discuss about what they really need on day one (like, saucer racks). Home owners will not realise that what they are getting are the bare basics. Any further functional/aesthetics requests by the home owner will be considered as a variation and additional money will be charged. This is how they earn their money. 

Edited by nerrad

Hi Jwchu168

Since no one is replying you, let me share with you from someone who has been in this industry for 9.5 years.

There are many ways of doing Interior Design in Singapore. One way (and the cheaper way) is to engage a Design & Build Contractor. There are a few ways to identify Design & Build Contractors - they usually have a shop front; they like to appear in ID fairs/expos; their interior features a lot of built-in cabinetry works (because they do and earn less if the built-in is replaced by loose furnitures); and most importantly, they can give you a quotation very quickly, even before details of the design are discussed.

They like to secure their customers first by offering an attractive low price. Many home owners like the idea that they 'confirm' a price on day one and therefore they are certain how much they are going to spend on their ID, but in fact the opposite is true when they engage D&B Contractors. 

D&B contractor's standard practice is that their day-one quotation usually covers the bare minimum basics. Usually, home owners will not be able to fully understand the content of the quotation, or predict/discuss about what they really need on day one (like, saucer racks). Home owners will not realise that what they are getting are the bare basics. Any further functional/aesthetics requests by the home owner will be considered as a variation and additional money will be charged. This is how they earn their money. 

Hi nerrad,

when you say that further functional aesthetics requests will be considered as a variation, would these variations be stated in the initial quote? For e.g., should the initial quote state how much is each additional drawer? what is the industry practice? Coz I recently received my revised quote and was very very shocked by the additional amount which wasn't corresponded to me. In the end, my ID told me that standard pkg is that one wardrobe has only 4 drawers. hence now i have more, each will cost me $80. I find that totally unfair and feel very cheated.

Edited by ice27

On 12 May 2016 at 1:09 AM, ice27 said:

Hi nerrad,

when you say that further functional aesthetics requests will be considered as a variation, would these variations be stated in the initial quote? For e.g., should the initial quote state how much is each additional drawer? what is the industry practice? Coz I recently received my revised quote and was very very shocked by the additional amount which wasn't corresponded to me. In the end, my ID told me that standard pkg is that one wardrobe has only 4 drawers. hence now i have more, each will cost me $80. I find that totally unfair and feel very cheated.

Most of the time, for small residential projects with no proper contract/contract administrator, the answer is no - variations will not be stated in the initial quotation, because there are way too many possible additions/variations that could happen along the way. Unfortunately this is the industry practice for D&B contractors.

Drawers do cost more than open shelves, and at this stage you might have no choice but to top up the money for your contractor. However if you have contractor friend/relatives, you may show them your quotation and let them see if the additional amount are reasonable, and ask for a discount from the contractor if they are unreasonably high.