Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nestlee

Clean Scandinavian Design 4-room

Hi nestlee,

thanks for sharing photos of your home. 

my new home layout is very similar to yours. I am also putting 2 track lights in the living room. 

was wondering

1. what size fan you used

2. if the track lights alone are enough to light ur living area as I noted that your fan doesnt have a LED light attached

3. whether there is any shadow cast by the track light when ur fan is switched on? whether the lights near the fan have to be purposely angled away to prevent any shadow?

thank you so much!

regards,

michelle

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi !

Mind emailing me the name and contact details of the contractor? Thanks!

Btw, how much did you pay for for the cement screeding?

ardorscent@gmail.com

Hi Nestlee,

I'm new to renotalk. I'm looking for a reliable contractor to renovate my flat, and I came across your posting.

Love your house design! Do you mind to share with me the contractor 1 and 2 contact number? Thanks a lot!

On 3/2/2016 at 11:38 PM, nestlee said:

Selection of ID/ Contractor 

INTERIOR DESIGNER 

We went through renotalk to look for interior designers and started contacting a few companies whose designs appeal to us. The quotation varies as different ID tends to have different suggestions. 

ID S from 8** ******: A young and green ID. He was very patient in understanding our requirement and showing us samples of the material used. This is very useful especially during the first meet up with ID. We were so excited to learn about the different kinds of materials. He also proposed the layout and hand draw the layout to show us. The second session he shared with alternative ideas with his hand-drawn 3D drawing. We really appreciate his effort because we didn't expect any drawing until confirmation. After the quotation,  he offered some discount on our project and follow up with us.  The good thing is that we can feel the connection with him and a young ID may be more creative. The not so good thing is that we afraid that he may not be experience enough to solve when there are hiccups during the renovation. We will still like to recommend him as an ID as he is very patient and prompt in his service. 

ID E from S**** A******: A more experienced ID and not much impression. He can show you the pros and cons between different materials. This ID firm offers a 4-room standard package at $21k plus and it is very attractive. Our friend did warn us on the cheap renovation package at unbelievable prices. When quotation came,  the total renovation cost are actually more expensive with the add ons compared to other quotations. We don't really like the idea of renovation package. What we want is a personalized quotation without hidden cost. No much follow up with us after quotation so dropped this ID. 

ID J from V****: This firm was recommended by my colleague who has engaged them for their resale flat. My colleague shared that their quotation is quite reasonable. However, we requested to meet up the boss instead of my friend's ID. A new ID was attached to the boss to take down our requirement. The whole session was most the efficient one as the boss is very straight to the point. He not only listened to our idea and counter propose with other suggestions. For example, we did not intend to build a false ceiling in the living room as we feel it will reduce the room space and trap dust. He explained that the new version false ceiling will not take up so much space as compared to the old version and it will conceal the electrical wires. He also suggested that to install the black track lights to enhance the scandinavian look and cove lights focus towards the 16ft of brick wall in the living room. He also impressed us with a few ideas that the previous ID did not suggest to us. My fiance was immediately sold by his suggestion but I a bit worry that he could be a too overpowered. He is that kind of person- "I suggest you do this..., if you want cheaper alternative...., you can do this...". We realized that there are some missing details during the next meet up for quotation discussion. However, they made the amendments on the spot. The price was not as cheap as we expected. 

At this point of time, my fiancee was deciding between ID S and ID J. We almost wanted to sign the contract with one of the ID but I decided to put it on hold first while doing more research. This is when that I came across to Renotalk and found out that so many homeowners actually engaged a contractor instead of and ID. They can execute their idea and renovate their home so nice even with contractor! 

CONTRACTOR 
*Updated as of 27 Mar 2016. No much update as we have yet to receive our second HLE so it's not possible to collect keys in Apr 2016. We take it slowly and I use the period to plan for my wedding instead. We tried emailing our floor plan and requirement to ask for quotation instead as we do not have much time to meet every contractor individually. 

CONTRACTOR *E: They are very popular due to the good workmanship for carpentry. We have contacted them since end Feb 2016 as we wanted to secure them as our contractor despite of the fact they could be overloaded with their current projects. After replying them that our keys will only be available in 2Q 2016, they did not follow up with us thereafter. We have dropped this contractor as we know that they are  too busy with their current projects. 

CONTRACTOR R*******: No reply from them after sending email request for quotation.

CONTRACTOR P*: Recommended by my friend. The contractor is very prompt in replying and follow up closely. The quotation is reasonable but it comes in lump sum total cost for each component of carpentry work, renovation work and etc instead of individual cost. We felt that there are lack of details and transparency in cost in the event that we decided to change certain requirement in our renovation. 

CONTRACTOR 1: This contractor is introduced by one of the blogger who just renovated her house. I really love the renovation style and their workmanship is excellent. The contractor replies promptly with detailed quotation at reasonable cost. *Shortlisted*

CONTRACTOR 2: This contractor met us to have a better understanding of our renovation requirement. The first meeting ended about 20 to 30 minutes. I was a bit doubtful if he can fully understand our requirements within such a short frame of time. He is indeed a very experienced contractor and he can share with us the Do's and Don'ts. The first quotation is about the same as some ID and the cost is quite comparable with some IDs. 

Okay, I was a bit insane that I do a excel worksheet to compare the individual component across all the IDs and contractor. I really like to micro manage and do a lot of research due to first timer's limited knowledge in renovation. It was to the extend my fiance complained that my money it's so hard to earn. However, I have explained to him that it is to have a better understanding of what each ID/contractor can offer and prevent any hidden cost and unnecessary miscommunication. 

During this period, my colleague who has an ongoing renovation shared with me her horrify experience with her ID. The irresponsible ID keep delaying her projects and was not able to delivered as they promised *i.e. They have agreed kitchen carpentry to have soft closing but it was not installed. The dimension of drawer is not done correctly according to their requirement. Fortunately, everything was solved in the end. I felt sorry for her as it was really physically and mentally exhausted for her to encounter this.  

This also makes me rethink of what we want to achieve for our renovation. Cost is a major consideration but it is fine as long as it is within our budget. Finding an experienced ID/Contractor that can deliver good quality of work is the most important factor! 

We have asked if Contractor 2 to bring us to one of his project before we signed the renovation package. it was very nice of him to find a house which has similar concept as us. We were very pleased and trust that he can deliver what we want after seeing his work. We went through individual component to revise the quotation, especially for certain component that we felt that it was a bit overpriced. He is very open to discussion and explained to us difference is cost between his quotation and other ID/Contractor. He sent us the revise quotation promptly on the day. We will arrange a date with him to sign the contract and pay the deposit. YEAH! :yeah:

Hi nestlee, I've read your whole renovation journey and I really like your house design. Could you PM me to share your contractor 1 and contractor 2 contacts? And your total renovation cost? Thanks in advance!:D

Hi Nestlee, love your home design. It looks so homely!

Please share your contractor details with me as well.

Hi there!

I came across your reno thread and really loved the reno work! Now I am starting to find quotations for reno for my SOBF flat, could i pls get the contact details of your contractor 2 please? Thank you so much, it will help alot!