Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yowetan

The right process to get started for a landed

Hi. I am currently sourcing for a landed property. Prior finalizing the purchase, what are the rightful process/procedures, i.e. engaging contractor, surveyor or architect to advise if the unit/landed is okay to go? Any one who can advise me on this? I intend to do A&A since budget is constraint but I need to know how much to budget so I can do my sum accordingly. Looking forward to kind replies from all experts. Thanks in advance. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

PrePurchase :

If A&A is the type of project scope involved ie extensions of less than 50% of the existing gross floor area, it may be more prudent to look for an existing property that is not too well finished, as the construction works may affect the existing cabinetry and finishes.

As extensions are involved, a major consideration would be the additional structural works involved, as this has a significant impact on costs involving the removal, addition and/or modification of existing structures and finishes. 

Budget - Look for Architects familiar with Landed Property, Quantity Surveyors or Builders/Contractors. Generally, costs considerations would be determined by extent of works ie. your specific requirements - rebuild, extension, creating another floor...... Saying this because there is a fine line between a major A&A and a Reconstruction job.

Hope this helps.

58 minutes ago, BrianKow said:

PrePurchase :

If A&A is the type of project scope involved ie extensions of less than 50% of the existing gross floor area, it may be more prudent to look for an existing property that is not too well finished, as the construction works may affect the existing cabinetry and finishes.

As extensions are involved, a major consideration would be the additional structural works involved, as this has a significant impact on costs involving the removal, addition and/or modification of existing structures and finishes. 

Budget - Look for Architects familiar with Landed Property, Quantity Surveyors or Builders/Contractors. Generally, costs considerations would be determined by extent of works ie. your specific requirements - rebuild, extension, creating another floor...... Saying this because there is a fine line between a major A&A and a Reconstruction job.

Hope this helps.

Hi Brian, thanks for the input. Before I make the decision (pre-purchase) to purchase, can I engage a surveyor/builder/contractor or evern architect to do a free assessment/survey to the said property?

The property I am eyeing now looks fine from the exterior, however the interior has to be renovated. I am concern about the structural and I am wondering extensions to the existing unit would be permissible under current URA/BCA guideline.

For today's current practice, engaging external parties like builder/contractor/architect requires cost as well? Thanks.

Any good and trustworthy (subjective) builder/constructors/architect to recommend? Thanks again.

Hi Yowetan, I may not be the best person to ask for recommendations but will be here to answer some of your queries to hopefully point you in the right direction through your journey.

I'm sure there are some genuine participants around who would be able to assist to.  

Hi Yowetan,

I am at the 1/3 mark on our journey to build our house.  Am certainly no expert, but since I'm slightly ahead of you on the journey, will share whatever experiences I have.   

We were initially deciding between A&A or rebuild.  After speaking to several builders, what I gathered is that the cost difference will be about 100k or so (based on land size of 3500sqft).  You will have many structural constraits with A&A though.   Whereas for rebuilding, you have the liberty to build it to your exact requirement. 

As for assessment of a property, most builders/architects can do it.  Some do it for free, some do it for a small fee.    

What is your expectation of the design of the house.  If you want a designer look, you can start shopping for a architect.  Don't worry about the builder, builder can come later.  But if there is no need for a designer house, some builders offer a All-in-One service.  That is they take care of everything from start to finish.... Architectural, Professional Engineer, Surveyor, Construction....  All under one roof.  This route is usually cheaper but you won't get a designer house.

Whether you want an architect or a all-in-one builder, my suggestion is for you to go for a shopping spree now.  Meet up with as many architects or builders as you can.  Coz after each meeting, you will be "wiser".  It's a learning process, so the more people you talk to, the more you will understand and you can make better decisions.

The average fee for an architect is about 6%-8% of total building cost.  We didn't like this format of calculating the fee, which is the industry practice.  Not only is the fee uncertain, there is also incentive for architect to recommend fancy items to up building cost.  So we worked out a lump sum fixed fee with our architect.  

Some useful websites :

http://www.asiabuilders.com.sg/asiabuilders2011/catalog.aspx?ind_ctry_code=conSG

http://www.boa.gov.sg/cgi-bin/bassrch.cgi

Feel free to ask me more questions.  As mentioned, am not a pro... but will be happy to share my experience. 

Good Luck!!

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, jecheng said:

Hi Yowetan,

I am at the 1/3 mark on our journey to build our house.  Am certainly no expert, but since I'm slightly ahead of you on the journey, will share whatever experiences I have.   

We were initially deciding between A&A or rebuild.  After speaking to several builders, what I gathered is that the cost difference will be about 100k or so (based on land size of 3500sqft).  You will have many structural constraits with A&A though.   Whereas for rebuilding, you have the liberty to build it to your exact requirement. 

As for assessment of a property, most builders/architects can do it.  Some do it for free, some do it for a small fee.    

What is your expectation of the design of the house.  If you want a designer look, you can start shopping for a architect.  Don't worry about the builder, builder can come later.  But if there is no need for a designer house, some builders offer a All-in-One service.  That is they take care of everything from start to finish.... Architectural, Professional Engineer, Surveyor, Construction....  All under one roof.  This route is usually cheaper but you won't get a designer house.

Whether you want an architect or a all-in-one builder, my suggestion is for you to go for a shopping spree now.  Meet up with as many architects or builders as you can.  Coz after each meeting, you will be "wiser".  It's a learning process, so the more people you talk to, the more you will understand and you can make better decisions.

The average fee for an architect is about 6%-8% of total building cost.  We didn't like this format of calculating the fee, which is the industry practice.  Not only is the fee uncertain, there is also incentive for architect to recommend fancy items to up building cost.  So we worked out a lump sum fixed fee with our architect.  

Some useful websites :

http://www.asiabuilders.com.sg/asiabuilders2011/catalog.aspx?ind_ctry_code=conSG

http://www.boa.gov.sg/cgi-bin/bassrch.cgi

Feel free to ask me more questions.  As mentioned, am not a pro... but will be happy to share my experience. 

Good Luck!!

Hi! Jecheng,

What is the cost of the reconstruction of your house?

Is yours a semi-d, corner terrace? Land size?

Thanks!