Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
saikofreakAP

Our Second Nest - a unique EM

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Need advice from owners. If your unit is a resale HDB, would you hack away the floor and wall tiles? 

Or would you overlay?

Haven get any quotation on both options, but is in a dilemma on which to do for both my kitchen and toilet. 

TIA

Hihi.. My unit is resale also.. Depending on the condition... Mine was extremely bad.. Hence everything got to go.. =( 

Kitchen n toilet also depending How the condition.. For mine the owner last did was 30+ years ago n the whole place was run down n watermarks was visible... Hence I was not able to overlay. =( my friend did overlaying... Save alot. =)  

Hope my 2cents worth is helpful in helping u making a decision. =)  

Overlay saves cost and neighbours will appreciate. However I think toilet needs to hack and not over lay. Main reason due to drainage needs to be install and positioned. Other than that, flooring will pretty much depends what you had choosen and what is the current material. If laying new HERF/Vinyl and current are tiles, you can simply overlay as these need a smooth and level flooring. As for tiles, your ID need to coment and advise, more about the load bearing and structural issues (2 layers of tiles will bear weight on the structure.

Over to the kitchen wall, regardless of how ugly/dirty of the current wall, there is no need to hack IF you are doing top hung cabinet, full back splash and table top. Imagine you hacked the walls, replace with new and only finally to be covered by all above mentioned, you are paying for hacking, retiling and finally all walls to be covered again.

If there are no back splash/top hung cabinets and walls are exposed, then you need to hack and replace. Given you are moving from old place to new place, with 3 princesses along, I believe you have sufficient barang from the kitchen to warrant for any top hung cabinets. So perhaps no hacking is the way to go for you? :lol:

On 4/23/2016 at 11:27 AM, saikofreakAP said:

Need advice from owners. If your unit is a resale HDB, would you hack away the floor and wall tiles? 

Or would you overlay?

Haven get any quotation on both options, but is in a dilemma on which to do for both my kitchen and toilet. 

TIA

We wanted to do half half, hack the first floor and the toilets and kitchen walls, but overlay upstairs. But when we went to the unit with our ID, he showed us that the second floor had a lot of "hollow" areas and was scared that the tiles will "pop" after a few years, which will really destroy overlay. So really up to the condition of your flat and how comfortable you are with possible issues down the road. Our tiles were 30 years old as well.

On 4/24/2016 at 11:14 AM, twinklecloud said:

Hihi.. My unit is resale also.. Depending on the condition... Mine was extremely bad.. Hence everything got to go.. =( 

Kitchen n toilet also depending How the condition.. For mine the owner last did was 30+ years ago n the whole place was run down n watermarks was visible... Hence I was not able to overlay. =( my friend did overlaying... Save alot. =)  

Hope my 2cents worth is helpful in helping u making a decision. =)  

Thank you. How much was the cost of hacking?

On 4/24/2016 at 3:28 PM, OceanEleven said:

Overlay saves cost and neighbours will appreciate. However I think toilet needs to hack and not over lay. Main reason due to drainage needs to be install and positioned. Other than that, flooring will pretty much depends what you had choosen and what is the current material. If laying new HERF/Vinyl and current are tiles, you can simply overlay as these need a smooth and level flooring. As for tiles, your ID need to coment and advise, more about the load bearing and structural issues (2 layers of tiles will bear weight on the structure.

Over to the kitchen wall, regardless of how ugly/dirty of the current wall, there is no need to hack IF you are doing top hung cabinet, full back splash and table top. Imagine you hacked the walls, replace with new and only finally to be covered by all above mentioned, you are paying for hacking, retiling and finally all walls to be covered again.

If there are no back splash/top hung cabinets and walls are exposed, then you need to hack and replace. Given you are moving from old place to new place, with 3 princesses along, I believe you have sufficient barang from the kitchen to warrant for any top hung cabinets. So perhaps no hacking is the way to go for you? :lol:

Wow, Very detail explanation. Thank you. Guess i roughly know what to do liao. 

On 4/24/2016 at 4:01 PM, ricepapergirl said:

We wanted to do half half, hack the first floor and the toilets and kitchen walls, but overlay upstairs. But when we went to the unit with our ID, he showed us that the second floor had a lot of "hollow" areas and was scared that the tiles will "pop" after a few years, which will really destroy overlay. So really up to the condition of your flat and how comfortable you are with possible issues down the road. Our tiles were 30 years old as well.

Actually mine is 25 yrs, but upstairs i'm not doing anythin cos the condition is still tip top. 

we had this dilemma too and we decided to hack everything in the end.

for toilets, suggest to hack because of sanitary issue unless the owners just did their HIP, then can try overlay. 

Flooring wise, ours actually in good condition because it's granite despite 19 years but decided to let it all go for aesthetic reason. Don't wanna feel "why didn't I hack last time " after we move in

11 hours ago, luvalist said:

we had this dilemma too and we decided to hack everything in the end.

for toilets, suggest to hack because of sanitary issue unless the owners just did their HIP, then can try overlay. 

Flooring wise, ours actually in good condition because it's granite despite 19 years but decided to let it all go for aesthetic reason. Don't wanna feel "why didn't I hack last time " after we move in

Exact dilemma now also. If dun hack sure worry here and there.

Hack liao worry wallet no $.

Haizzzz.....

26 minutes ago, saikofreakAP said:

Haizzzz.....

My take, if dont like it, just hack. Depth of pocket is an issue, go take a loan.

I know, easier said than done. The key point is how you wanna feel after moving in. If never hack is gonna bug you for the longest time then here’s your answer. Imagine after a hard day’s work, coming home, yet seeing that area you regret not hacking, this is only spike your blood pressure a little. That little niggling, tingling sensation is gonna ruin the overall feel. 

2 hours ago, saikofreakAP said:

Haizzzz.....

Ya so our pocket burned a big big hole now but very excited to know how it going to turn out hehe. 

Am sure both ways got pros and cons and will turn out well. Don't worry!

Hihi..Sometimes certain money has to spent to have a peace of mind.  We wanted to overlay initially to save cost but couldn't after consulting many ID that many parts were hollow... So we bite the bullet and do it once and for all rather than to worry about it later on. 

2 hours ago, saikofreakAP said:

Quotation received:

Hack whole kitchen vs Overlay whole kitchen
$5,035 vs $2,000

:~:~:~

Hacking including the walls then retile? Have you decided to do top hung and back splash?