Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sinalifmim85

Type 3 4 room BTO layout.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

CEMENT SCREEDING!

David also told us to futher save cost and since we are using vinyl for whole house, it is still do-able to appeal to HDB for a free cement screeding for the living/dining and rooms.

I did my own research and find out that free cement screed from HDB contractor is no longer applicable and have stopped doing so since 2015.

However, David told us to proceed with the appeal. HDB will most likely reject if you are doing screeding only for rooms. But they will still do it if you intend to do whole house. i.e living room and bedrooms.

We proceed with the appeal. I went over to the HDB office for my area (Tampines). They gave me a form to fill up and the contact no. of the HDB officer handling for my area. Submitted the form to her through email and within 2 weeks, its approved!!! A few days later, screeding was done! All free! that saved us 2k on cement screeding alone! Phew!

large.572aa3528d307_Cementscreed1.jpg

large.572aa35a411d9_Cementscreed2.jpg

Edited by sinalifmim85

Personal opinion, a full brick wall has the "look" factor. Half mirror dont exactly really fit in with the brick wall. Mirror hung on a brick wall is a different story.

Besides, mirror is a pretty big finger print and dust magnet.

Hi! My dad is doing freelance painting and providing painting services for wall effects like brick wall, stucco wall etc. If anyone here is interested can PM me for more info.
Thank you

i agree with @OceanEleven .

if you are going for nordic/scandi look, the large mirror on the brick wall will somehow "snatch" the limelight away. the brick wall is a feature wall for your home and putting a mirror on it is like covering the main feature. <<- purely personal opinion. :D

Hi @xhomesweethomex & @OceanEleven,

Thank u so much for your advices.

We do initially wanted to do a full brick but changed our mind instead.

Was convinced by our ID that it would turned out good. Let's hope it would turn out good as it would be something different at the same time.

:)

Edited by sinalifmim85

Next up.......PURCHASES!

Will post pics and details of all these soon as I am too busy with work this week. :(

Here are among the few things that we have bought and done so far as of today:

1) Kitchen sink & mixer

2) Dining table & chairs

3) Sofa

4) Rain shower set

5) Hob, Hood & Oven

6) Ceiling fans

7) Lights (downlights and ceiling)

8) Toiletries holder

9) Toilet vanity cabinet (comes with basin)

10) Toilet mirror cabinet

11) Toilet basin faucet

12) Storage heater

13) Touch switch for living room

14) Fridge

15) Bedroom and toilet doors

16) Window grilles

15) Washing machine

16) Ring-wifi doorbell

*Looking back at the list itself makes it so tiring. The countless trips and survey, it is simply tiring. This is no easy journey. But at the same time, its fun and fulfilling. :) 

Also, some other things which we have either yet to buy or decide:

1) TV console 

2) King size bedframe and mattress

3) Curtains/blinds

4) TV for living room

5) Carpets/Rugs

6) Storage racks for store room

7) Glass door (kitchen entrance)

8) Microwave Oven

Any advice or recommendations from anyone of you here would be of a real help. Thanks!

Edited by sinalifmim85

If you can wait about a month more, Gss will start and you may be able to get better deals on electronic stuff. Also there will be comex I think from 26 may, again, May be able  to get discount on electronic stuff like tv. 

Hi! Been a week since i logged in, too busy with work.

So, here's a little detailed updates of our purchases:

KITCHEN;

HOB+HOOD+OVEN:

large.573177cae786e_HOBHOODOVEN.jpg

We bought this from Hoe Kee as they were having a promotion. We opted for a stainless steel hob instead as wife and mum do heavy cooking. Mum used to have a tempered glass hob but it cracked after few years of usage!! We went around to ask for opinions and soon find out that tempered glass hob will crack if used for heavy cooking. 

Sink:

large.573177d1410b5_kitchensink.jpg

Got this from a shop in bukit timah called Renodeals. Original price was $488 but was offered 40% discount. So paid $288 instead. ID did told me to get a minimum of at least 0.8mm thickness but this is 1.2mm thick!. 

Mixer:

large.573177d40f8b3_ixisskitchentap.jpg

Got this from renodeals as well. Ixiss brand from Germany. Original price was $200+ but got it for $90+.

Washing machine:

large.573182f959450_washingmachine.jpg

Got this Samsung 10kg Digital Inverter top loader from courts for $799. Wife and mum have been using top loader their entire life! Thus, this decision.

Fridge:

large.fridge.jpg

Bought this huge Samsung top and bottom door fridge. Its the biggest for this range @ 579L. Cant get any bigger i.e 2 doors side-by-side fridge coz our kitchen simply wont have the space to fit in one! Got this on offer during an expo sale for $1199. Original price was $1499.

Next,

Living/Dining Room;

For furnitures, we chanced upon this place called SPACE@Tampines. Its a new building opposite Ikea. There are many furniture shops down there side by side. Among the many furniture shops down there are:

1) Cellini

2) Star Living

3) Absolute Bedding

4) Living Solution

and many more which we cant remember. 

So here are the furnitures which we bought from there-

Sofa:

large.sofa.jpg

large.57318352239d0_sofacolour.jpg

Bought this sofa from Absolute Bedding at SPACE@Tampines. We chose a 3 seater sofa same as the first picture but picked a brown colour, same as the second pic. We wanted to get an L shaped Sofa like the brown one but the dimension was way too big. Our criteria for sofa is simple; fabric and high back support. Loved at first sight upon seeing this. Sat on it and loved it!

Dining Table:

large.5731832e345b0_diningtable.jpg

Initially we wanted to get a marble top dining table but totally changed our mind when we saw this at Living Solution. Its a few doors away from Star living but opposite Cellini. We simply love the clean cut design. Did not get any chairs as none was to our liking. Total damage just for the table: $1529! Original price was way higher. Thanks to the very understanding auntie that served us- Wenley!.

Dining Chair:

large.5731833079380_diningchair.jpg

Went back to SPACE@Tampines a few week later to confirm the bedframe colour for my parents at Absolute Bedding and saw this dining chair! It matches perfectly with the Sofa Colour as well as the dining table. Feels very comfortable and solid! Got it at a bargain. Bought 6 pieces.

Edited by sinalifmim85

Up next,

Toilet;

We got most of our items from Renodeals at Bukit Timah. Its an all in one shop which sell lightings, bathroom and kitchen accesories at a very good price! Look for Christopher- ask for discount from him and he'll be willing to do so.

Rainshower set:

large.Rainshower.jpg

Bought 2 sets if this for $188! Unbelievable! Usual price was $244 for one. Also, got a critzo shower mixer 2 sets for $100+.

Storage heater:

large.57318335bfaa9_storageheater.jpg

Champs 30L storage heater. Got it for $200+. Got a discounted price from Christopher.

Also, we got a stainless steel 2-level caddy from there.

Overall experience: Very satisfied!

TAOBAO purchases:

First of all, im totally a noob in taobao and it doesnt help that I neither do i speak chinese or read chinese.

Googled and found SGshop. Decided to use them instead as other websites such as peeka or Oops was not as easy to use as SGshop.

As advised by David, its better for us to get the vanity cabinet separately as it would be cheaper. But after looking and surveying around, a 90cm stainless steel cabinet (we want it to fit as much in the common room toilet wall) would cost around 1k per set!. A 90cm stainless steel mirror cabinet would also cost us $400 and above per set!

As we have a budget to meet, I decided to get from taobao as recommended by fellow bloggers.

So, here are the things that we bought from taobao;

Stainless Steel Vanity Cabinet:

large.573183623e696_Vanitycabinet1.jpg

large.5731835f3093f_vanitycabinet2.jpg

large.5731837d66aa1_vanitycabinet3.jpg

This Set comes all-in with the ceramic basin and tempered glass black top. Bought 90cm and 70cm length.

Stainless Steel Mirror Cabinet:

large.5731838696fb3_mirrorcabinet.jpg

Same as the vanity cabinet, bought 2 sets; 90cm and 70cm.

Faucet:

large.faucet.jpg

Had to get a high faucet as the vanity cabinet comes with a counter top basin. Bought 2  sets.

Total damage(Cost+shipping+GST+delivery): $870!

Told my wife that even if in few years to come and should these items fail us, there shouldnt be any issues in changing them. Not having any high expectations as we are paying peanuts for these items. Minor defects wouldnt be an issue and we are well prepared for this. :)

TAMPOI PURCHASES;

Went over to JB on a Saturday morning with Dad.

Objective:

1) 6 Ceiling fans (Living, Dining, 3 Bedrooms, Kitchen)

2) 12 Downlights (Living & Dining)

3) 5 Ceiling lights (Toilets, Household Shelter, Service Yard)

Decided to go there to buy these items as cost in Singapore is way too high and would burst our tight budget. So, we decided to go there, get the items and back to Singapore. Only one single mission! haha

Items bought-

Ceiling Fans;

large.573183130d9b5_KDKfan.jpg

For living room- KDK 56"

large.5731831a522e7_alphafan.jpg

For Dining area- Alpha Excel 42'

large.573183162d06b_fancofan.jpg

For Rooms- Fanco. With light kit (2 exchangeble LED bulbs each 10Wx2). Bought 3 sets

large.573183201f5ec_ventofino2.jpglarge.5731832497805_ventofino3.jpg

Vento Fino 1: Wanted to get Fino 2 but was told by David that the height would be too long coz we wanted to place this fan on top of our HS. Told by David that the maximum downward length that we can get is 50cm. Fino 1 is 45cm while Fino 2 is 65cm. Therefore, purchased Fino 1 instead.

Along with the fans, we bought all the required lightings

12x 18watt tri colour 6" Square LED downlight, 4x 12Watt LED ceiling light, 1x 36Watt LED ceiling light.

Total Damage: RM3480!

Do feel free to ask me if you have any enquiries to buy from there.

Edited by sinalifmim85

Other miscellanous items bought;

Ring-Wifi Doorbell:

large.573183579b357_ringwifidoorbell.jpg

Bought the one in silver from AMAZON. Paid SGD299 and delivered to doorstep in less than 10 days! 

Livolo Touch Switch:

large.57318344799a1_livoloswitch.jpg

Bought only for Living Room. Bought 2 sets of 3 Gang switch and 1 set of 1 Gang switch. Sold by a seller in carousell which happens to stay nearby. Comes with remote control as well.

Edited by sinalifmim85