Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

It's been a good 10 years since I last log in to RT; the last time I did, it was for my first home - a 4 room HDB. Reno was done through a recommended ID through my friend (who had her home done by him) and I have to say, it was a 8/10 experience except for minor hiccups then but nothing serious. Workmanship was impt to me and I am glad i got past that part since all the carpentry was still holding up well by time I sold my place. 
I learned plenty back then and from many masters hidden around the forum but how things had changed; now, it's all about TB shopping =)

Time flies, a home for 2 evolved and went to 5 by 2013; needless to say and with every Singaporean's dream, I have to upgrade.
I started calculating budget, monitor the property market and worked on convincing my in laws to let us move in with them. Luckily for me, it all worked out.
I managed to convince the in laws, got what I want for my place from the 2nd viewer and hit on my choice unit for my new home; all within 2013.

Fast forward to Jan 2016, I got updated that my new place will most likely TOP by this year and somehow, the most natural thing to do was to login to RT AGAIN.
Going through all the blogs one by one for the past few months was tiring - especially so when i see so many wonderful new homes being done up; just watching the photos and reading lobangs shared is enough to make me drool with envy (you know that feeling of wanting to get things started immediately). Reading blogs after blogs do have it's benefits:
1) Taobao lobangs and links and "How to buy"
2) All reliable and updated ID/ Contractors contact

I have since bookmarked quite a fair bit of TMall and TB links, as well as contractor/ IDs contact. To be honest, I am not the patient sort and will not have the time to go ID sourcing every weekend around Balestier, Ubi etc hence getting reliable feedback and truthful sharing from members here are impt. Having spend the last 3 weeks reading, I have narrowed and will work on getting quotations with the below 4:

1) J&E
2) Mr F
3) K
4) Renoguyz

I will be sharing my experience once I meet them all soon.

My floor plan below
large.572aa5ae755b4_SPRC2.jpg

Edited by koxxic

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

ID/ Contractor Selection
The Chosen One!!!
- Mr Foo from Custom Box

I went through a total of 3 meetings with each lasting average of 2 hours. He is able to articulate and share ideas openly and yet absorb your suggestions. If you are brave and confident enough, allowing him to "free play" will add that element of surprise and uniqueness. I shall not go further into details but from the experience I get so far - I would give him a 8 out 10 (remaining 2 will depends on work progress, final design & workmanship), which I know he would get as much as a 9.5 at the end of day.

I have gotten many PMs asking for his contact. To be fair, I will only share if you have a proper blog here from now on. You may ask why? Because I want to prevent "contact collection" from folks who simply want a contact to keep in your contact books.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contractor K - H** Interior Renovation

- Had my first meet up with K 2 weeks back. A nice "uncle" with bling bling all over him bringing a touch of friendliness. He has been in this line for years and I remember he was also recommended by members here way back in 2006 when I was going to do up my 1st home. He is experienced no doubt, he grasped your ideas very quickly and simple explanation is enough for him to understand your "wants" and "needs"
Like many other contractors, design or ideas may not be his forte; forget about this part and you will be fine with him. The session with K was pleasant and comfortable but unfortunately, his quotation came back to be the most expensive till date (though he ask to meet up and discuss again to work on the requirement and pricing), he is not cast out yet though as I pend for others.

Contractor N - Renog***
- He came to my attention while I was reading (T-Blog) and on the look out for a contractor. Positive feedbacks (especially on the pricing part) made me sit up and did more research on him. Using the same quotation requirement sheet from K; I got him to quote me. His response was quick, too quick (within 24 hours to be exact) and first copy came back with mistakes, even 2nd copy too (repeating the same mistake). I wasn't too impressed with his quotation, pricing is not as cheap as some of the blog shared; coming in just $3K short of K.
I am still considering if I should drop him.

Carperter Xing H***
- Came across them in my FB feed. From the reviews and feedback posted, I wrote to them and again used the same template from what I got from K. They are typical carpenter and have their own workshop; and what's coincidental was I saw them on some photos posted by Renogu*** customer. Price was the cheapest - a good $12K (though I believe after some plus minus - difference will be around $6-8K). Didn't talk to them at all but the chap who was liaising with me via whatsapp and email was really prompt; if you have your design, know what you want to do and willing to work harder on coordination to save money - they might be just for you.

ID Mr F**
- He's touted as "The One" by many here. The One ID who works more like a contractor but design with flair and class of an ID. I got to meet him last Thursday and I was blown away. He came highly recommended by bro @OceanEleven; I now know why. Though I am still pending for his quotation and design, I can safely say his knowledge, ideas, space planning and willingness to span ideas/ thoughts in your mind to keep you grounded is already reason enough to go with him. I felt really comfortable with him and his portfolio via his FB is also impressive. During the discussion (which took 2 hours till 10.30pm), he continuously adapt ideas while also sharing alternative. Some really bold and wild idea to go with our theme - bringing in material options which I never think at all will/ can be used for home reno (never seen anyone's home using them too). He would also share the pros and cons on the things/ items which I want to do, which again is a plus point (though most would say it's the minimum criteria) but truth is not many ID will bother nowadays. I am definitely shortlisting Mr F**, and if the quote comes back to my budget - I will go with him for sure.

To be continued

Edited by koxxic
-

Home Electrical, Electronics & Appliances
1. Bosch (WAW28480SG) WM
2. Bosch (WTS86516SG) Dryer

Bundled Price: $2799
Retail Store: Gain City Megastore (Sungei Kadut)

Top load WM was the initial option and nothing else, yet somehow things changed and here I am with my 2 purchase from Gain City. I'm completely bought over and I would say it's a good buy though at $2799 (retailing: $5189), hopefully they will last for a long time.

may-say-quan-ao-bosch-wts86516sg-1.jpg

MCSA00842008_WAW28480SG_def_1.png

Edited by koxxic
Add on

13 hours ago, OceanEleven said:

Hip Hip Hurray! Congrats on the new place. Any floor plan to share? :good:

2 hours ago, xhomesweethomex said:

Woohoo! Gong xi gong xi on your new place! :lol: looking forward to see more of your ideas!

Hi both,

Thanks!
Just uploaded floor plan for sharing as well.

I intend to revamp the kitchen due to FS and layout - any ideas?
Need to be enclose at the end of the day due to air con.

Where is the main door? I presume is at the most right side. The kitchen walls are the original layout? Also any dimensions to go with the plan?

1 hour ago, OceanEleven said:

Where is the main door? I presume is at the most right side. The kitchen walls are the original layout? Also any dimensions to go with the plan?

I don't have a floor plan with dimensions for now..and yes, main door is right corner.

Yo koxxic, congrats....

We are in the same situation and timeline... my place is also expecting TOP end of this year.  To add that I will be following your blog closely I will start 1 soon too.  Interesting to note that we have almost the same layout, less the kitchen/yard area that is different.  Looking forward to your sharing.

p.s. let me know how u feel abt the IDs aft mtg up w them, my intended ID/con also in your list.

cheers

On 5/8/2016 at 11:24 AM, bB2121 said:

Yo koxxic, congrats....

We are in the same situation and timeline... my place is also expecting TOP end of this year.  To add that I will be following your blog closely I will start 1 soon too.  Interesting to note that we have almost the same layout, less the kitchen/yard area that is different.  Looking forward to your sharing.

p.s. let me know how u feel abt the IDs aft mtg up w them, my intended ID/con also in your list.

cheers

Updated my experience with them.

On 5/4/2016 at 5:10 PM, koxxic said:

ID Mr F**
- He's touted as "The One" by many here. The One ID who works more like a contractor but design with flair and class of an ID. I got to meet him last Thursday and I was blown away. He came highly recommended by bro @OceanEleven; I now know why. Though I am still pending for his quotation and design, I can safely say his knowledge, ideas, space planning and willingness to span ideas/ thoughts in your mind to keep you grounded is already reason enough to go with him. I felt really comfortable with him and his portfolio via his FB is also impressive. During the discussion (which took 2 hours till 10.30pm), he continuously adapt ideas while also sharing alternative. Some really bold and wild idea to go with our theme - bringing in material options which I never think at all will/ can be used for home reno (never seen anyone's home using them too). He would also share the pros and cons on the things/ items which I want to do, which again is a plus point (though most would say it's the minimum criteria) but truth is not many ID will bother nowadays. I am definitely shortlisting Mr F**, and if the quote comes back to my budget - I will go with him for sure.

To be continued

Lol, let the poison begin. :D