Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I recently received a revised quotation from my ID. we are at the last stage of our reno i.e.. carpentry. In his original quote, it wasn't stated that the wardrobe would only have a certain number of drawers etc. Likewise for the kitchen cabinet. Now, after discussion on design, we intend to have a more drawers than he had expected and he says that it would be $120 extra for each kitchen drawer and $80 extra for each wardrobe drawer. Is that the norm? I do understand that drawers especially Kitchen are more expensive than casement but I feel very cheated as it was not corresponded to me prior to making the item. Shouldn't there be a miscellaneous cost section stated just like in an electrical quote where the price of an additional socket would be clearly stated?

Hope someone can advise. TIA

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

this is pretty common practice. every set of cabinets for bottom and top are usually standard. any add on request have to communicated upfront.

standard if im not wrong is 3 drawers.

Thanks for your reply Koxicc. But dont they put their prices upfront during the quotation stage? I feel so cheated now

That's why when I commented on some people's quotation, I said can't really compare apple to apple. I know the cost of my carpentry works is definitely not one of the cheaper ones but I can fully customise it according to my needs. Yes, I may pay more than what I need in the end, but I don't like to go into the hassle when it comes to the design stage as you lose any bargaining power by then & working relationship sours when conflicts occur, either you stick to the default or pay additional. The other 2 quotations that I gotten, 1 was rather detailed & mentioned how many drawers for the wardrobe & cost for additional drawer, but the other quotation only mentioned wardrobe with hanger rod, drawers & adjustable shelving, didn't mention number of drawers & the cost for additional ones. Hence, from 3 different IDs, can see there's different ways of working, so not necessarily they will have misc section to list down all the additional costs. 

For me, I'm very clear with what I want for the wardrobes/cupboards/kitchen cabinets as this is my 2nd reno, so I list down my requirements upfront that I want drawers for my kitchen cabinets & would drill into these requirements before I decide it's good enough to sign the contract.