Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Delylalex

They said we were too young for this home

3 hours ago, Delylalex said:

I think after these photos, you might finally agree that we are too young for this classic home. MBR is in a mint green colour and living room is a very very light grey, lighter than the MBR wardrobe. We just fixed the edison bulbs to our dining pendant lights. Woohoo.

IMG-20160612-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160612-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160612-WA0008.jpg

That is quite a lot of storage in the kitchen!

I'm considering a Brandt slim hood too. How much did you get yours?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
1 hour ago, trcd said:

That is quite a lot of storage in the kitchen!

I'm considering a Brandt slim hood too. How much did you get yours?

You think so? I think it's the standard size of a bto kitchen :) I got mine in a package so i'm not sure how much the hood alone costs. It's a telescopic hood but i love hoe flushed it is with the rest of the cabinets. Even my contractor said "wah I didn't know it will come out this nice". 

We got our contractor to install our curtain rods for us and they did. It was a huuuge favour BUT. Apparently we weren't on the same page and it turned out quite catastrophic. My hubs wants the end brackets to be just beside the finials and we are so anal about them being justified with the window frames. In the MBR, the middle bracket was slightly higher than the end ones so it looks like it is arching. So... I guess he's just gonna do it himself. Our mistake of not being there while they did the installation. 

Our home is left with countertops, slide n swing door for common bathroom and painting touch ups. Should I start cleaning the house already? 

When did you guys do the vacuuming, mopping and wiping prior to move-in? We are looking at the coming saturday for moving in.

Edited by Delylalex

Hi Delylalex,

I have moved in since last last Thur and only considered all the wiping, mopping and vacuuming done on the Saturday just past! For us there was just so much dust weep lol. We probably mopped the floor 4 times by now. But I have a lot of loose furniture and they keep getting delivered at separate times etc.

For us, we took half a day before our actual move to coordinate deliveries of our wardrobes and big appliances (some deliverymen don't like to take off their shoes when they bring stuff in, actually our movers all didn't take off their shoes so that's something to think about) and also to clean the insides of any furniture, since when we move and unpack we would want to put stuff into drawers and cabinets and stuff that's actually clean. We also took that time to put up any hooks (we used 3M strips) on walls which need to sit for a while before getting used. We also cleaned, sweeped, swiffered and mopped as much as possible areas which big appliances were going to be installed, like our washing machine and our fridge, just before they arrived, because you don't get much of a second chance to clean that area once those appliances are installed. Same thing with big loose furniture as well like TV consoles etc. I also sweeped and washed down most of the toilet areas as well, since you'd probably want a clean toilet to seek refuge in when you're hot and sticky from unpacking.

Only after the movers were finished with moving in, then we started vacuuming first. Did most of the unpacking, then swiffered, finally when most of the boxes are off the floor and tossed, we mopped.

But that's just us! I still wash down the toilets occasionally and go at the tiles/walls with a magic eraser when I see bits that our ID missed in washing etc, and we still haven't gotten around to cleaning all the glass areas (windows, glass doors) which we really ought to this weekend, but the house is at least in a livable state! :)

On 13/06/2016 at 9:33 AM, ricepapergirl said:

Hi Delylalex,

I have moved in since last last Thur and only considered all the wiping, mopping and vacuuming done on the Saturday just past! For us there was just so much dust weep lol. We probably mopped the floor 4 times by now. But I have a lot of loose furniture and they keep getting delivered at separate times etc.

For us, we took half a day before our actual move to coordinate deliveries of our wardrobes and big appliances (some deliverymen don't like to take off their shoes when they bring stuff in, actually our movers all didn't take off their shoes so that's something to think about) and also to clean the insides of any furniture, since when we move and unpack we would want to put stuff into drawers and cabinets and stuff that's actually clean. We also took that time to put up any hooks (we used 3M strips) on walls which need to sit for a while before getting used. We also cleaned, sweeped, swiffered and mopped as much as possible areas which big appliances were going to be installed, like our washing machine and our fridge, just before they arrived, because you don't get much of a second chance to clean that area once those appliances are installed. Same thing with big loose furniture as well like TV consoles etc. I also sweeped and washed down most of the toilet areas as well, since you'd probably want a clean toilet to seek refuge in when you're hot and sticky from unpacking.

Only after the movers were finished with moving in, then we started vacuuming first. Did most of the unpacking, then swiffered, finally when most of the boxes are off the floor and tossed, we mopped.

But that's just us! I still wash down the toilets occasionally and go at the tiles/walls with a magic eraser when I see bits that our ID missed in washing etc, and we still haven't gotten around to cleaning all the glass areas (windows, glass doors) which we really ought to this weekend, but the house is at least in a livable state! :)

That is some crazy cleaning going on! Haha thanks so much for the extensive report :P for us, we had the bed, fridge and washing machine 1 day after acid washing. I didn't think of it your way aiyah. Should've thought about it. But i did expect the home to be really dusty even after multiple cleaning. You see, all this is another whole new level when tiny toddlers are around. Oh dear. I am embracing myself. 

1 minute ago, Delylalex said:

That is some crazy cleaning going on! Haha thanks so much for the extensive report :P for us, we had the bed, fridge and washing machine 1 day after acid washing. I didn't think of it your way aiyah. Should've thought about it. But i did expect the home to be really dusty even after multiple cleaning. You see, all this is another whole new level when tiny toddlers are around. Oh dear. I am embracing myself. 

Haha no worries I think maybe husband and I are just a bit finicky about cleanliness. He keeps mopping the floor... :blink:

8 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

Haha no worries I think maybe husband and I are just a bit finicky about cleanliness. He keeps mopping the floor... :blink:

We are toooo haha you should be glad he actually wants to mop ;) i think i'm gonna do some vacuuming and mopping a day before the move and print out a 'NO SHOES PLEASE' sign for the main entrance lol. Moving into a new home is physically, mentally and financially taxing!

14 hours ago, Delylalex said:

We are toooo haha you should be glad he actually wants to mop ;) i think i'm gonna do some vacuuming and mopping a day before the move and print out a 'NO SHOES PLEASE' sign for the main entrance lol. Moving into a new home is physically, mentally and financially taxing!

Hahaha I'm 5 months pregnant so my husband pretty much has to do all the heavy chores otherwise I think both my parents and his parents will come down on him like a ton of bricks. :P Actually I'm the one that has to persuade him not to overtax himself...

About the shoes thing, I admit it was the first time I actually watched movers, the ones from Helping Hands basically do not take off their shoes at all (even if you ask them), and after a while I could guess it's because they have to keep going back to their truck and coming into our house (they wore like lace-up sports shoes which would have been difficult to keep putting on and taking off). They didn't take off their shoes when they went to my parents' or my husband's parents' houses to take the boxes and furniture from there, much less my new (and dusty) house. Maybe if your movers wear slippers or something it's more likely?

20 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

Hahaha I'm 5 months pregnant so my husband pretty much has to do all the heavy chores otherwise I think both my parents and his parents will come down on him like a ton of bricks. :P Actually I'm the one that has to persuade him not to overtax himself...

About the shoes thing, I admit it was the first time I actually watched movers, the ones from Helping Hands basically do not take off their shoes at all (even if you ask them), and after a while I could guess it's because they have to keep going back to their truck and coming into our house (they wore like lace-up sports shoes which would have been difficult to keep putting on and taking off). They didn't take off their shoes when they went to my parents' or my husband's parents' houses to take the boxes and furniture from there, much less my new (and dusty) house. Maybe if your movers wear slippers or something it's more likely?

Ahhh that makes sense now. I got Shalom movers to do the move this saturday and I have a feeling they'll be wearing shoes too :o considering their professionalism. It's to protect their feet if they drop things i think? Ahmagadz i shall lay flattened boxes around the house. Slaps forehead i sound so absurd

6 minutes ago, Delylalex said:

Ahhh that makes sense now. I got Shalom movers to do the move this saturday and I have a feeling they'll be wearing shoes too :o considering their professionalism. It's to protect their feet if they drop things i think? Ahmagadz i shall lay flattened boxes around the house. Slaps forehead i sound so absurd

Lol I admit on that morning when we were moving and I realized they weren't going to take off their shoes I had a minor panic moment and also wondered whether we should be laying boxes everywhere. After a while I just... chilled. Haha. After you unpack the dust will be EVERYWHERE again anyway so you might as well just let them do their thing and remop after everything is done. :P 

It was slightly worse for us because we had parquet on the second floor (and on our staircase) and didn't want to mop it till sometime later (we still haven't!) but actually, shoes indoors esp sports shoes is still pretty clean. At most it tracks in dust but unlikely it would track in mud (you hope your moving day is bright and sunny and non-rainy though). We even put out a big floormat in the front door but they moved it away because it got in the way of them moving the big items in. So yeah, it was quite a learning experience.

6 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

Lol I admit on that morning when we were moving and I realized they weren't going to take off their shoes I had a minor panic moment and also wondered whether we should be laying boxes everywhere. After a while I just... chilled. Haha. After you unpack the dust will be EVERYWHERE again anyway so you might as well just let them do their thing and remop after everything is done. :P 

It was slightly worse for us because we had parquet on the second floor (and on our staircase) and didn't want to mop it till sometime later (we still haven't!) but actually, shoes indoors esp sports shoes is still pretty clean. At most it tracks in dust but unlikely it would track in mud (you hope your moving day is bright and sunny and non-rainy though). We even put out a big floormat in the front door but they moved it away because it got in the way of them moving the big items in. So yeah, it was quite a learning experience.

Thank you soooo much for sharing your experience! I can now confidently face what is to come. . . I hope haha. Will definitely update once we've settled in :D

bddcddb533b31c51c85c5d079da355af.jpg

Am I the only one who gives a big hoot about this? I cringed when the curtains HOVERED above the floor. And it was about 2-3cm off. Which means it would be super difficult for them to adjust the height becaaauuuuuse it's too near to the existing hole. Huuurgh. I don't mind the curtains 'breaking' as pictured above but not hover please. Man, I sound like an old naggy woman hahaha oh well.

Here are our ceiling fans...

The living room one is a DC fan by Elmark. We tried it at Phylux and it was stronger than all the other DC fans INCLUDING the highly sought after Haiku. Hrmph haiku... It's a circulating fan and so it doesn't really cool down the room quickly. The one below is the fan for all our rooms. Samaire 48". Remote control so chio. Gold and white huhuhu. All our fans have life time warranties for motor ^_^

IMG_20160615_163233.jpg

IMG_20160615_163634.jpg

IMG_20160615_163651.jpg

If you are planning to get a hood like mine, you can ask your carpenter to do something like this. Our contractor did it so magnificently haha. I mean c'mon.. Look at those grilles. I thought it would be one slit but he had better ideas ;)

IMG_20160615_171217.jpg