Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 6 June 2016 at 9:58 PM, SimplePersonSimpleLife said:

And Hacking Continues...

image.jpg

This is currently the space between our metal gate and the wooden door. Hacking would be done to push out the wooden door closer to the metal gate to create a longer indoor passageway as well as open up the dry kitchen beside.

image.jpg

In the midst of hacking... Slowly but steady!

image.jpg

Looking from the dining area where the island would be located.

Did you end up changing your door/gate? :) 

13 hours ago, trcd said:

Did you end up changing your door/gate? :) 

@trcd, yes we did! The door and gate were too old and outdated for us not to do anything to it! Hahahaha :)

We got a separate gate supplier to customise the metal gate according to our design while the wooden door we leave that to Bernard (our contractor) in his scope of works.

Actually your gate design quite retro! Shall wait for more pictures then!

Recently I'm just fascinated by main doors and gates and will actually stop and stare. :D

Getting mine replaced but have not decided on the design of the gate (must it really match the window grilles?!)

Tiling - Wet and Dry Kitchen

image.jpg

Wall tiles are usually a standard feature for kitchen due to the greasy nature of activities like cooking etc happening in such spaces. Wall tiles make it easier to maintain where stains could be cleaned off easily using cloth.

image.jpg

The split between wet and dry kitchen

image.jpg

Tiles for wet kitchen extending beyond the service yard 

image.jpg

A step-back view of the wet kitchen with the service yard in the background. Even though me and wifey do not cook nowadays, we thought we future-proof this area by catering for wall tiles but this definitely push up the budget. Wall tiles unlike floor tiles are more expensive.

image.jpg

Tiling for the dry kitchen area. This would be where we had our dry island.

image.jpg

A step back view of the dry kitchen space with the dining area in the background

image.jpg

Same tile we used for the passage way leading to the door

image.jpg

Hopefully not too late to join the bandwagon in congratulating you.  Indeed, if I am guessing it right, the property is at a very convenient area!  Lots of shopping area within walking distance and so much future development around the area.

I have always liked the development.  Am having a friend staying there too.

Happy reno!

On 15 June 2016 at 5:19 PM, trcd said:

Actually your gate design quite retro! Shall wait for more pictures then!

Recently I'm just fascinated by main doors and gates and will actually stop and stare. :D

Getting mine replaced but have not decided on the design of the gate (must it really match the window grilles?!)

Hey @trcd! The gate is the original one that came with the unit some 30 years ago! Too retro for us!

For entrance and windows, these are 2 distinctive areas so not really a need for the gate to be matching the window grilles. If you want, you can PM me your current window grilles and the gate options you shortlisted and I can get my wife to offer some opinions.

On 16 June 2016 at 6:19 PM, Reiki said:

Hopefully not too late to join the bandwagon in congratulating you.  Indeed, if I am guessing it right, the property is at a very convenient area!  Lots of shopping area within walking distance and so much future development around the area.

I have always liked the development.  Am having a friend staying there too.

Happy reno!

Hi @Reiki, yes indeed! I used to have a friend staying here and it was during those visits/stayovers during my secondary days that I fell in love with this place! I am amazed by the huge piece of greenery within the estate and when growing up and subsequently looking for a property, that became a natural option and eventually a natural decision for me!

The only downside is the amount of reno that had to be committed but guess I am not complaining here :)

Installation Of Aircon

Beside one of the biggest ticket items in any renovation, air-con installation has always been one of the more downplayed aspects in interior design planning. In reality, beside making sure the fancoil units are placed at ideal position to maximize the flow/circulation of air, much more work and thinking had to be thrown in to make sure it does not disrupt the flow of any interior design work. For example, one of our clients actually told us their friend had their aircon trunking exposed from one end of the living room across to the other end just above their TV console. They had spent quite a fair bit on doing up the living room to make it their entertainment space with a $8,000 TV console only to end up having to see such exposed trunking whenever they sit in front of their TV... 

image.jpg

Existing and proposed locations of fancoil units and compressor 

Prior to the installation, we arranged for our usual aircon contractor to survey our home together with Bernard. We walked the ground together to see how the pipings/trunking should be placed and if the proposed location above was suitable. 

image.jpg

Delivery of our aircon on actual day of installation

image.jpg

The amount of pipings and trunking we needed for our house

image.jpg

Yes, we went with Mitsubshi as with 98.453% of our clients, which included my parents, my in-laws place...

image.jpg

We went with a bigger compressor that allows us to power 3 rooms simultaneously or 2 rooms plus living room

image.jpg

We went with one wide fancoil unit (rather than 2 normal) in the living room as we do not want to clutter up the space here. Initially the intention was to place it between the 2 existing locations but eventually we decided to reuse the existing layout of the unit to the left to keep all trunking hidden.

image.jpg

Bedroom 1 - No trunking

image.jpg

Bedroom 2 - Trunking but would be concealed subsequently as part of renovation work

image.jpg

Master Bedroom - We decided to move the aircon location to the other side of the room instead of the original one as we are building a wardrobe in between our bed and the toilet. This is eventually the only place in the house where trunking are exposed!

22 hours ago, SimplePersonSimpleLife said:

Installation Of Aircon

Beside one of the biggest ticket items in any renovation, air-con installation has always been one of the more downplayed aspects in interior design planning. In reality, beside making sure the fancoil units are placed at ideal position to maximize the flow/circulation of air, much more work and thinking had to be thrown in to make sure it does not disrupt the flow of any interior design work. For example, one of our clients actually told us their friend had their aircon trunking exposed from one end of the living room across to the other end just above their TV console. They had spent quite a fair bit on doing up the living room to make it their entertainment space with a $8,000 TV console only to end up having to see such exposed trunking whenever they sit in front of their TV... 

image.jpg

Existing and proposed locations of fancoil units and compressor 

Prior to the installation, we arranged for our usual aircon contractor to survey our home together with Bernard. We walked the ground together to see how the pipings/trunking should be placed and if the proposed location above was suitable. 

image.jpg

Delivery of our aircon on actual day of installation

image.jpg

The amount of pipings and trunking we needed for our house

image.jpg

Yes, we went with Mitsubshi as with 98.453% of our clients, which included my parents, my in-laws place...

image.jpg

We went with a bigger compressor that allows us to power 3 rooms simultaneously or 2 rooms plus living room

image.jpg

We went with one wide fancoil unit (rather than 2 normal) in the living room as we do not want to clutter up the space here. Initially the intention was to place it between the 2 existing locations but eventually we decided to reuse the existing layout of the unit to the left to keep all trunking hidden.

image.jpg

Bedroom 1 - No trunking

image.jpg

Bedroom 2 - Trunking but would be concealed subsequently as part of renovation work

image.jpg

Master Bedroom - We decided to move the aircon location to the other side of the room instead of the original one as we are building a wardrobe in between our bed and the toilet. This is eventually the only place in the house where trunking are exposed!

Wow, really really impressed with that! To get everything right, it's almost down to micro-managing. Absolutely exhausting. But give yourself a big pat! I agree that the air con installation is usually not very well planned. It's common to see unsightly trunking all over the place..... Hopefully in the future we can have wireless air con :D 

14 hours ago, trcd said:

Wow, really really impressed with that! To get everything right, it's almost down to micro-managing. Absolutely exhausting. But give yourself a big pat! I agree that the air con installation is usually not very well planned. It's common to see unsightly trunking all over the place..... Hopefully in the future we can have wireless air con :D 

@trcd, wireless aircon?!!! Hahahahah... We shall see :) 

Maybe wireless electrical points would be better for a start!

On 20 June 2016 at 1:27 PM, SimplePersonSimpleLife said:

@trcd, wireless aircon?!!! Hahahahah... We shall see :) 

Maybe wireless electrical points would be better for a start!

:D:D:D yes in my big fat dreams!

Btw noticed that the air con unit is not installed directly above the entrance of bedroom 2 - any particular reason?

23 hours ago, trcd said:

:D:D:D yes in my big fat dreams!

Btw noticed that the air con unit is not installed directly above the entrance of bedroom 2 - any particular reason?

Hey @trcd, the primary reason in our case is more of convenience and aesthetic. We are reusing the same piping/trunking route as previous installation where most of these were concealed. In addition, we also considered the practicality and while not entirely ideal in maximizing the air flow here, it was still fine for us overall if we look at the grand scheme of thing :)

Actually all my aircon fancoil unit are not above the entrance! Not just bedroom 2. Is there a reason for locating above that area?

On 22 June 2016 at 9:42 PM, SimplePersonSimpleLife said:

Hey @trcd, the primary reason in our case is more of convenience and aesthetic. We are reusing the same piping/trunking route as previous installation where most of these were concealed. In addition, we also considered the practicality and while not entirely ideal in maximizing the air flow here, it was still fine for us overall if we look at the grand scheme of thing :)

Actually all my aircon fancoil unit are not above the entrance! Not just bedroom 2. Is there a reason for locating above that area?

@SimplePersonSimpleLife I was a little surprised to see that they aren't placed above the entrances as it seems to be a common area for the air con unit. My air con installer suggested I do the same, but I personally prefer not walking under the unit everything I enter a room (but it's just my personal preference). Strange, but I feel like I would have to duck under it once I know it's there :D

Likewise, my placements are more of maximising air flow yet making sure the trunking doesn't have to run all over the house! I can't manage to do something as neat as yours though! 

The Tiling Continues...

image.jpg

Entrance at the door

image.jpg

Steps down from dining to the living room

image.jpg

We used these big porcelain tiles for the living room - 1200 by 600

image.jpg

Wall tiles where the fridge would be located and the wall separating the space into dry and wet kitchen areas

image.jpg

Master bedroom toilet with our rain shower area

image.jpg

Common toilet - Floor trap set in place!

Concealment of Pipes

Keeping aircon piping/trunking out of sight while not an easy task, is nevertheless something that is still within a homeowner's control or at least a high degree of it. On the other hand, existing water pipes are already fixed at certain locations and one can only do so much in terms of relocating them other than changing the running configuration in some cases. Thus, the latter case of exposed water pipes also posed a challenge to us in terms of integrating them into our design. We eventually went with the option of concealing or boxing them up.

image.jpg

Pipes at our balcony - Before

image.jpg

After boxing up

image.jpg

Pipes at our service yard - Before

image.jpg

After boxing up

image.jpg

Pipes at our common toilet

image.jpg

After boxing up