Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

3 hours ago, Starrain said:

WOW! Thanks for your explanation!

I've always thought spray paint as a last resort or a D.I.Y thing.

When spoke with contractors on spray painting, and most will choose to shun away because it tend to rub off very soon. Is there ways to prevent?

I totally understand aesthetic feature is very important. Every details is the design!

It looks really pretty! :paint:

Hey @Starrain, in general the downside to spray paint is the cost. It requires a certain level of skills/workmanship with the appropriate equipments so they do not come cheap. To put it bluntly, either the contractors do not have the workers with the skillsets or equipment or simply think the profit margin is just not there. However this being said, the other reason is all the downsides of spray paint which for example include the use of MDF boards as material to fabricate these carpentries as paints tends to stick better here than the better quality plywood. 

However, there are IDs and contractors whom believe in detailings and had found ways to circumvent some of these issues like waterproofing, durability by using paints identical to what we used for automobiles. Looking at cars where paint remains in immaculate condition despite being exposed to the elements of nature is enough said about how such issues had became a matter of the past.

But long story short, the reason why laminates are so wildly popular is the variety of choices, the textures, etc... And the low cost, durability and so on. Just imagine if I asked Bernard to spray paint my carpentry to a certain wood grain pattern with a certain texture, he would probably just think I am mad here...

2 hours ago, El LoCo said:

Hi,

How do u achieve the seamless effect as I believe the carpentry will have joint lines. By the way, how many layers of spray painting is needed to achieve this effect? 

Thanks.

Hi @El LoCo, when you use laminates the carpenter would cut the laminates to size which is why you would see lines where one piece meet the other. With spray paint, it is just one single paint work around the piece of carpentry. To be frank, I am not exactly close to the spray painting process to know exactly how many layers of paint is required (nor Bernard when I called him earlier... Guess he probably need to ask his guys at the workshop after the weekend..)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

IMG_4696.jpg

Sink and tap installed at the common toilet. Mirror wooden backing also up with cove lighting to create the warm ambience feel.

IMG_4705.jpg

In the master bedroom toilet, space constraint is made worse by the angular walls. Here, tap and toilet bowl also installed with the mirror plus cove lighting still in the works.

IMG_4778.jpg

Went to our usual supplier at Jalan Berseh to get the handle for our big wooden door at the kitchen.  

IMG_4790.jpg

As well as the handles for our main door!

IMG_4857.jpg

Initially we wanted a sleek balcony door frame but this comes at a higher price so we decided to go for second best which is the black frame seen in the photo above.

Hello! Would you mind revealing who the door handle supplier is? Would love to know as haven't come across many people talking about door handles here. Thank you!

Master Bedroom Toilet

image.jpg

Our open concept toilet on the right

image.jpg

Our rain shower mixer - bargained with wife down from a bath tub

image.jpg

Even shower head need to negotiate down from a higher end series... Every dollar count...

image.jpg

The walls we hacked

image.jpg

Even wash basin is transparent

• Like 1

Balcony

Original intention is to have the top and inner side of the parapet wall tiled with white craft stone but eventually we decided to leave it bare to keep the cost down as well as more of a practical sense as we do not want to spend time maintaining the area. The eventual idea was to just do enough but with the possibility to do more in future...

Timber-like floor tiles

No lamps, just cove lightings. Maybe in future do up a bar area here with high chairs (too dangerous???) or even convert to a green corner with creepers up the wall to double up as feature wall etc... Till then, the balcony would just be a balcony with a view.

Edited by SimplePersonSimpleLife

Your renovation is turning out really great! Hope all continues to go smoothly.

Love the balcony. And those tiles! :wub:  Can imagine chilling out there with a beer...

17 hours ago, trcd said:

Your renovation is turning out really great! Hope all continues to go smoothly.

Love the balcony. And those tiles! :wub:  Can imagine chilling out there with a beer...

Hey @trcd! Thanks for your kinds words. 

Actually, we did the bare minimum for balcony because we wanted to keep the cost down. Yes, chilling out there with beer or even wine wld be nice just hope not drunk enough to drop those down...

Hahahahah :)