Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi folks
I have emerged from lurking and hopefully will be able to share more on my renovation soon...

Could I seek some views? Would like to have a pendant lamp above a small dining area (which should comfortably sit 4). However the lamp I am eyeing is 20cm wide (20x15). Any thoughts if the light would be sufficient? The living area extends towards the kitchen, and the dining area is somewhere in between, along the wall. Am still cracking my head how much lighting to have. 

All views greatly appreciated! :help:

:drunk:

Edited by trcd

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 5/28/2016 at 2:12 AM, trcd said:

Hi folks
I have emerged from lurking and hopefully will be able to share more on my renovation soon...

Could I seek some views? Would like to have a pendant lamp above a small dining area (which should comfortably sit 4). However the lamp I am eyeing is 20cm wide (20x15). Any thoughts if the light would be sufficient? The living area extends towards the kitchen, and the dining area is somewhere in between, along the wall. Am still cracking my head how much lighting to have. 

All views greatly appreciated! :help:

Couple of questions. Dining table is what shape? Round, oval, rectangle, square? Against the wall?

Next, pendant light shape and brightness? What are the surrounding lightings? Such as down lights?

On 29 May 2016 at 10:22 PM, OceanEleven said:

Couple of questions. Dining table is what shape? Round, oval, rectangle, square? Against the wall?

Next, pendant light shape and brightness? What are the surrounding lightings? Such as down lights?

Likely to be getting a rectangular dining table; approx 100x65ish (for 4 seater). Will not be placed against the wall.

No downlights as will not be fixing false ceiling... That's the problem... Probably can only go with track lights and a floor lamp in the living area. I was thinking of having a round pendant lamp over the dining area (not going to be very bright).

Still shopping around for lights so really appreciate your inputs!

13 hours ago, trcd said:

Likely to be getting a rectangular dining table; approx 100x65ish (for 4 seater). Will not be placed against the wall.

No downlights as will not be fixing false ceiling... That's the problem... Probably can only go with track lights and a floor lamp in the living area. I was thinking of having a round pendant lamp over the dining area (not going to be very bright).

I'm using a 90cm round table (seats 4) with the diamond-shaped pendant in the smallest size (38cm) paired with a single edison bulb 40W in yellow light, so far quite ok. I think the size of lamp doesn't matter, but the brightness & type of bulb you use?

10 hours ago, chiffon said:

I'm using a 90cm round table (seats 4) with the diamond-shaped pendant in the smallest size (38cm) paired with a single edison bulb 40W in yellow light, so far quite ok. I think the size of lamp doesn't matter, but the brightness & type of bulb you use?

Thanks chiffon! :)

Your dining area looks very cosy and romantic with the yellow light! The photo on your page is a useful guide! Will probably get a white light for my dining area....

Btw where did you get that dining table? 

On 5/31/2016 at 1:37 AM, trcd said:

Perhaps nothing fancy is good enough. Those with multiple lightings (eg. 3 in a row) may not suit you. Something round might be better.

Go for brighter bulbs, you may find yourself using the dining as reading as working area as well. Edison bulbs are nice but consume high watts.

Not too sure about living area with track lights. Track lights have the “spot light” effect, will not achieve a uniform brightness, may be hard on the eyes as well.

3 hours ago, OceanEleven said:

Perhaps nothing fancy is good enough. Those with multiple lightings (eg. 3 in a row) may not suit you. Something round might be better.

Go for brighter bulbs, you may find yourself using the dining as reading as working area as well. Edison bulbs are nice but consume high watts.

Not too sure about living area with track lights. Track lights have the “spot light” effect, will not achieve a uniform brightness, may be hard on the eyes as well.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of using the dining as a working area (slipped my mind) - but absolutely right! I would probably do some work and reading there :)

Will try and get E27 LED white light over the dining area...

Still trying to figure out lighting for living room as there will not be a false ceiling (no down lights). Might go for pendants! I like brightness, but want the flexibility of switching off for some ambient lighting.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:11 AM, trcd said:

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of using the dining as a working area (slipped my mind) - but absolutely right! I would probably do some work and reading there :)

Will try and get E27 LED white light over the dining area...

Still trying to figure out lighting for living room as there will not be a false ceiling (no down lights). Might go for pendants! I like brightness, but want the flexibility of switching off for some ambient lighting.

I'm so happy you're posting! Was hoping to see pics soon and here you are! I've been scratching my head over the lighting plan of my entire house as well since I'm not building in false ceiling nor l-boxes due to ceiling height. Based on my own lifestyle and habit, my rental homes usually have those old-skool fluorescent tube lightings which I hardly turn on. I normally use my standing floor lamps (2 in my living room, 2 in the dining, 2 in the bedroom) for the ambient look as white lights remind me of my workplace and are hard on my eyes. However, for practical reasons, I need 'cockroach-seeking' lights on those occasions when I need to find and kill roaches, iron clothes, or just to find that missing contact lens on the floor. My colleague suggested getting those 3 in 1 lights (meaning I can change the colour of the light). I am hesitating over pendant lamps for my dining area because I move my dining table a lot depending on occasion (e.g. extra 10 people dropping over for shabu shabu) and I think it's weird to have a light dangling over nothing if I move the table. Let me know what type of lighting plan you decide... Can learn from each other!

9 hours ago, Catt said:

I'm so happy you're posting! Was hoping to see pics soon and here you are! I've been scratching my head over the lighting plan of my entire house as well since I'm not building in false ceiling nor l-boxes due to ceiling height. Based on my own lifestyle and habit, my rental homes usually have those old-skool fluorescent tube lightings which I hardly turn on. I normally use my standing floor lamps (2 in my living room, 2 in the dining, 2 in the bedroom) for the ambient look as white lights remind me of my workplace and are hard on my eyes. However, for practical reasons, I need 'cockroach-seeking' lights on those occasions when I need to find and kill roaches, iron clothes, or just to find that missing contact lens on the floor. My colleague suggested getting those 3 in 1 lights (meaning I can change the colour of the light). I am hesitating over pendant lamps for my dining area because I move my dining table a lot depending on occasion (e.g. extra 10 people dropping over for shabu shabu) and I think it's weird to have a light dangling over nothing if I move the table. Let me know what type of lighting plan you decide... Can learn from each other!

Hello!

Been reading up on lighting and came across something useful from Lam Partners.  

large.lighting2.png

large.lighting.png

Lighting is indeed a serious headache!  I've decided that the brightest rooms in the house would be the kitchen and bathrooms (for safety reasons and also to look out for unwelcome visitors!). I will be getting a 2 metre set of track lights for the kitchen area.

Bathrooms and store, intend to use this:
bathroom and store.png

Living area:
We are in the same situation with no false ceilings.  Personally I feel choices for the living room are somewhat limited - pendants and a floor lamp or track lights.  I prefer pendants as track lights are usually targeted at a particular spot.  Have yet to decide what pendants, but likely to be a bulb configuration so that there is no shade for light diffusion.  I prefer easy maintenance so do not want any fixtures that will trap bugs in them...

Wall lamps are out because I don't want all that trunking down the walls. How are you intending to do up the wall sconces? Floor lamps - definitely, but I think one is enough? Could add a table lamp for ambient lighting.

Dining area:
Pendant. Looking at a simple one that looks good, and is not glaring. So challenging!

Are you planning to have your dining table between the kitchen and the living room? I face similar problems there too.  May think about getting a small table that is extendable, so when it is not extended, the pendant would hang nicely above it. I suppose if it is a gorgeous pendant, it wouldn't look out of place as it would be a decorative feature (right??)

I have no idea if multi coloured lights will look good... Maybe a dimmer function for normal lighting will be less obiang (I was imagining pink, blue, green or yellow disco lighting :D )

Excuse my rambling... Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts!  We can definitely learn from each other. :) 

And if you can't find your contact lens, it actually helps to switch off the lights and scan the floor with a torch.  It worked for me before!

Edited by trcd

• Like 1