Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This fussy shopper walked miles and purchased some bathroom fittings.

Happy with a one-piece throne wc.jpg and my Grohe tap grohe tap.jpg

Seems like Grohe is running a promotion at most of the sanitary wares stores. Keep a lookout!

More info from Energystar

Light color is measured on a temperature scale referred to as Kelvin (K).  Would prefer soft lighting for the living room and bedroom to have that cosy feel.

ColorTemperature.jpg

Some images taken from HousePlanHelpers for visualisation. They have loads of ideas but mostly feature a fireplace (not suitable for our climate :P).

ceiling_pendant.jpg  hanging_pendants.jpg  tall_floor_lamp.jpg  floor_lamp.jpg  lamps_opaque_shades.jpg

25 minutes ago, lushiris7 said:

wad brand n model is ur one piece? care to share price?

It's from Treo. Got it in a package from a shop in Toa Payoh Industrial Park, with sink and tap at about $600. Actually saw some similar designs (also Treo; one piece) in a shop in AMK Industrial Park going at $380+ for WC only. There was even one going at <$200 but I wanted something easy to clean with no 'hiding spots'. Would have gotten the $380+, but when I checked out the TPY shop, I preferred this design. Suggest checking out those shops - you will get a slightly better price than the Balestier showrooms as they supply to contractors.

Hi!

Just popping in to say that my living room (and MBR) has two sets of track lights (because I have a ceiling fan) and with track lights we didn't choose spotlights, but pendant bell-shaped soft lighting for the track. Not sure whether that helps you with your lighting decisions, just pointing out that track lighting doesn't have to be "focused on certain locations" but can also be used for general lighting as well.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:09 AM, trcd said:

Hello!

Been reading up on lighting and came across something useful from Lam Partners.  

large.lighting2.png

large.lighting.png

Lighting is indeed a serious headache!  I've decided that the brightest rooms in the house would be the kitchen and bathrooms (for safety reasons and also to look out for unwelcome visitors!). I will be getting a 2 metre set of track lights for the kitchen area.

Bathrooms and store, intend to use this:
bathroom and store.png

Living area:
We are in the same situation with no false ceilings.  Personally I feel choices for the living room are somewhat limited - pendants and a floor lamp or track lights.  I prefer pendants as track lights are usually targeted at a particular spot.  Have yet to decide what pendants, but likely to be a bulb configuration so that there is no shade for light diffusion.  I prefer easy maintenance so do not want any fixtures that will trap bugs in them...

Wall lamps are out because I don't want all that trunking down the walls. How are you intending to do up the wall sconces? Floor lamps - definitely, but I think one is enough? Could add a table lamp for ambient lighting.

Dining area:
Pendant. Looking at a simple one that looks good, and is not glaring. So challenging!

Are you planning to have your dining table between the kitchen and the living room? I face similar problems there too.  May think about getting a small table that is extendable, so when it is not extended, the pendant would hang nicely above it. I suppose if it is a gorgeous pendant, it wouldn't look out of place as it would be a decorative feature (right??)

I have no idea if multi coloured lights will look good... Maybe a dimmer function for normal lighting will be less obiang (I was imagining pink, blue, green or yellow disco lighting :D )

Excuse my rambling... Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts!  We can definitely learn from each other. :) 

And if you can't find your contact lens, it actually helps to switch off the lights and scan the floor with a torch.  It worked for me before!

Very useful information trcd. Especially when I'm planning for the kitchen. The wall sconces were supposed to serve the purpose of task lighting if I track light my kitchen (I think track lighting creates pools of darkness where the bulb is not focused on). There will definitely be trunking, but don't think it will be noticeable as I plan to have the sconces higher up on the wall near the ceiling due to the size. Not sure If it's an overkill since I've bought 4, one for the sink, one for the prep area and 2 for my opposite counter which serves as a pseudo-table. They should hopefully be arriving in these 2 weeks.

Actually when I mentioned 3-in-1 lights, I meant lights with the ability to change from white light to warm daylight to yellow. Not disco lights (those days are over for me :p)!

This is one of the lights I shortlisted on TB. Still not sure if I want to bite the bullet and buy from TB, I really like touching and looking at things in real life before deciding!

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=524848884751&toSite=main

3 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

Hi!

Just popping in to say that my living room (and MBR) has two sets of track lights (because I have a ceiling fan) and with track lights we didn't choose spotlights, but pendant bell-shaped soft lighting for the track. Not sure whether that helps you with your lighting decisions, just pointing out that track lighting doesn't have to be "focused on certain locations" but can also be used for general lighting as well.

Hi ricepapergirl!

Thanks for stopping by with advice! Yours was one of the first blogs I came across on RT - really beautiful and spacious space you have! Really love the look of your bathroom and grey ikea cabinetry!

Do you happen to have a picture of your light tracks and the bell-shade pendant when they are not switched on? I like how your lighting turned out for the master bedroom. Bright but did not come across as harsh or like "spot lights". 

1 hour ago, trcd said:

Hi ricepapergirl!

Thanks for stopping by with advice! Yours was one of the first blogs I came across on RT - really beautiful and spacious space you have! Really love the look of your bathroom and grey ikea cabinetry!

Do you happen to have a picture of your light tracks and the bell-shade pendant when they are not switched on? I like how your lighting turned out for the master bedroom. Bright but did not come across as harsh or like "spot lights". 

Hi trcd!

Sure, will take some pictures of my living room and MBR track pendant lighting, on and off, for you tonight! :) Hope it will help! We actually got advice from Sherwin at Chan Huat for our lighting situation cos our MBR and living room are very long but we wanted them bright with a ceiling fan in the middle but no light kit on the fan, so kudos to Chan Huat really for that. :) 

Living room's current state, with one ceiling light :D 

living.JPG

Hacked wall for a new door!

wall.JPG

The new entrance! Ta-dah!

door.JPG

Toilet

toilet.JPG  toilet2.JPG they forgot to remove the hook!

12 hours ago, Catt said:

Very useful information trcd. Especially when I'm planning for the kitchen. The wall sconces were supposed to serve the purpose of task lighting if I track light my kitchen (I think track lighting creates pools of darkness where the bulb is not focused on). There will definitely be trunking, but don't think it will be noticeable as I plan to have the sconces higher up on the wall near the ceiling due to the size. Not sure If it's an overkill since I've bought 4, one for the sink, one for the prep area and 2 for my opposite counter which serves as a pseudo-table. They should hopefully be arriving in these 2 weeks.

Actually when I mentioned 3-in-1 lights, I meant lights with the ability to change from white light to warm daylight to yellow. Not disco lights (those days are over for me :p)!

This is one of the lights I shortlisted on TB. Still not sure if I want to bite the bullet and buy from TB, I really like touching and looking at things in real life before deciding!

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=524848884751&toSite=main

I'm sure the sconces will look great! And maybe 4 will be just nice.

sconces.jpg

Is your dining table between the kitchen and the living room?

I like this!  Haven't seen a similar one in lighting shops here yet.  Maybe I should explore more :blink:

TBlight.png

Let me know if you come across similar ones in lighting shops. I also prefer seeing the physical thing before buying...

19 hours ago, ricepapergirl said:

Hi trcd!

Sure, will take some pictures of my living room and MBR track pendant lighting, on and off, for you tonight! :) Hope it will help! We actually got advice from Sherwin at Chan Huat for our lighting situation cos our MBR and living room are very long but we wanted them bright with a ceiling fan in the middle but no light kit on the fan, so kudos to Chan Huat really for that. :) 

DSC_0138.jpg

Pendant lights with lights off. The rest of the room is being lit by the other set of pendant lights (this was last night so no external lighting).

DSC_0139.jpg

For good measure, this is what my pendant lights look like when switched on (the other side of the room), although I made the photo a little under-exposed otherwise all you see are just flares of light. But it's quite pleasant and soft lighting. We usually only switch on one set of lights. Thinking of actually switching out the bulbs on one set to yellow lights so we can have yellow or white light depending on which set we switch on. :)

• Like 2

trcd: Yes I intend to put my dining table in between the kitchen and 'new' living room! At the moment it's my least planned area for some reason. Maybe I haven't been using a dining table everyday for 13 years since I moved out, so it's probably my area of least concern. BTW I really envy your kitchen not having a beam across the center of the ceiling like mine. It really opens up the space! The octagonal light you posted... my colleague bought the black one from TB. She loves it (think she chose the '3 colour' one so can adjust from white to warm yellow). I was inspired by Ricepapergirl after reading her blog...maybe I should take a trip to Chan Huat to 'touch' things haha!

Ricepapergirl: I really like your pendant lights! Another option for me!

7 minutes ago, Catt said:

trcd: Yes I intend to put my dining table in between the kitchen and 'new' living room! At the moment it's my least planned area for some reason. Maybe I haven't been using a dining table everyday for 13 years since I moved out, so it's probably my area of least concern. BTW I really envy your kitchen not having a beam across the center of the ceiling like mine. It really opens up the space! The octagonal light you posted... my colleague bought the black one from TB. She loves it (think she chose the '3 colour' one so can adjust from white to warm yellow). I was inspired by Ricepapergirl after reading her blog...maybe I should take a trip to Chan Huat to 'touch' things haha!

Ricepapergirl: I really like your pendant lights! Another option for me!

For both Catt and trcd:

Just pointing out that we had similar issues for our dining lights as well, and added to that, we wanted something that was easy to clean (so husband vetoed anything with a cage or too much of a flat surface)! We found this LED hanging light at Chan Huat (it was our most expensive light) but I've seen similar (but not exactly the same) stuff on Taobao. I do think if you want you should go over to the Chan huat showroom (the one on the second floor) and go look look see see (touch touch, ask them to switch on the lights to let you see) and in the end you can buy from TB or just bargain your way around Chan Huat, they provide pretty good service really. Some of the uncles give great advice.

DSC_0130.jpg

Ignore how unfinished our dining area is lol. Still missing our sideboard and haven't even unwrapped some of our dining chairs. But the light is overhead, is LED, and amazingly enough, REALLY lights up the whole of the dining area (this is night again, two nights ago, though there's usually some light coming in from the corridor, but if I remember correctly this was the only light on at the first floor when I took this picture). We were originally planning to get some sort of floor lamp for the dining area in case the dining room light was not bright enough but scrapped the idea when we came face to face with how bright this light actually was!

• Like 1