Final Pics:

20160905_211154.jpg

20160905_211234.jpg

20160905_211244.jpg

20160905_211322.jpg

20161015_120820.jpg

20160905_175523.jpg

Post from before:

Hello everyone, after lurking around like many people here, asking for more information and learning more things as time goes, finally decide to contribute to future couples on their reno.

Below is my floor plan. After much contemplation, I have decided to select a unit with the bomb shelter in the kitchen. Bigger living area, shorter but wider kitchen (I can live with that)..

Floor%20Plan.png

Requirements

1. Walk in wardrobe (wife want to enjoy life)

2. Dressing Table that can hold 2 people (my wife say I always snatch dressing table with her for work)

3. Closed but open feel kitchen (dunno how to explain this... basically is a close kitchen but must look like open kitchen)

4. Must keep all the doors, no sealing of any doors (wife is like garang guni.. everything must keep... thats why my current room like garang guni also)... 

5. her theme is Scandiavian (which subsequently wifey gives alot of nonsense ideas... one of which is a concrete plastered wall... :bangwall:.. HELLO NOT INDUSTRIAL LEIII)

6. My theme is minimalist (which i subsequently give in to her theme more... makes my life easier) 

7. Study table for 2

8. Island / high top (i forsee we wun be eating often at the dining table cos wifey likes to watch TV and eat... after eating she must stand like being punish for 1 hr.. told her doesnt help slim down cos she is still growing rounder :D)

ID / Contractor Search

I have a total of 12 quotations or more.... I am lucky to meet most of the better IDs / contractors...

My advice, don't go crazy like me and my wife.. Go for maybe 2 or 3 compare prices and get a feel... going too many only confuse and tire yourself.. I read online and notice alot of people being conned etc. hence I went for many many quotations which only confuses myself and my wife. Hence, we drag till 1 month after key collection, then we decided on the contractor. So let me get started on the list.

Rejected

*decide to delete away since no point putting IDs I have rejected*

Worth a Mention

Habitech - Top 3 of another fellow renotalker SingaSamurai, was shown into the flat of ID as her "Showroom". I must say, the couple really shows they know their stuff. They give a lot of ideas that newbies like us will never be able to think of. Their show room is those kind, open door.... WOW kind... But the quotation came back also.... WOWWWW.. Something I like about them is, they are very very very very detailed. Each customer will have an individual file with timeline, floorplan, carpentry measurements per drawer in details.... dun think anything will be missed out.. Go for them if you want someone you can trust with flair in design.. and abit more money to spend...

The Interior Lab - Another top 3 of SingaSamurai.. ID is a honest guy. He is the one that proposed us on how to use our space efficiently.. quote came to be quite reasonable, but on the high side... did not shortlist him cos the price is not really within our budget after much calculation

Diva - Selected by SingaSamurai.. Nice guy.. met him twice, feel he is those responsible kind.. he said, unless you want to let him earn, he recommend you to get lights or other stuffs outside that are recommended by his other clients that he heard is cheaper... He recommended alot of the practical stuffs.. Wife say no feel with him... maybe he too quiet and honest... Lol..

Edited by Reiken

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

SHORTLISTED

LUSH Interior Design - Introduced by my wife's friend.. went up to her house, **** niceeeeee.... except abit here and there i dun like, which i think can be improved.. Met up with the boss at one of the most ulu place (i really wonder how he survive the business for over 10 years).. he dun go to expo as well... where does he get all his customers... unless its true like what he said... by word of mouth.... His office / showroom really show how well his design is.. He is very very strong in industrial (my wife fren house is also industrial themed)... He has the flair from our discussion, giving many nice ideas.. some are more towards aesthetic > practicality.. example.. my wife wanna keep her doors, he wanna seal the door which i believe if we insist, he will ok lo.... lol... if you really need an ID giving good advice including colours etc, the boss is the one to go to.. (he passed us to his colleague to manage our project which i dint really like).. kinda regret now cos I have a headache about selection of laminates and colours, which I am afraid, it is not the scandi feel I hoped it would be... haix...

H2O interior - Don't need much introduction... many many many nice projects done up by Mr K.. Especially recently the house of GallopingPuffin... Go to their fb page if you need to see more...I like how he could increase the thickness of the kompacplus.. I was torned between selecting them and the contractor we selected... they were proactive in following up with us... too proactive in a way which my wife become skeptical... haix.. she thinks too much... Also, they mentioned its hard and need to seek permission to view a house they done up... which we dun really feel comfortable..

SELECTED

J&E (CX Reno) - I don't think I need to introduce this duo here...only look for them when you collected the keys and are ready to open door... they take a rough measurement and give a quote based on the measurement... after asking them, found out they were doing reno for a house next block.. we wanna see the house and they said, go lo proudly... and lo and behold... the workmanship is really good... we were on the verge of giving up on them cos E is not the kind that reply your message straightaway or promptly... Also, they are very very very very busy..... but one fine day... suddenly when we were going to sign with H2O, our dear E suddenly send me pics that I want but dint mentioned to him.. and suddenly he become more active... met with E to discuss the quote again and finally, decided to engaged them.... hopefully i dint do the wrong thing.. I really like their workmanship and hope my end product is like what i saw.... 

*UPDATE* as of nowContractor James is a registered contractor for renovation in HDB and his company is Chun Xiang Renovation.

If i have to rank based on workmanship

1.J&E

2. Lush

3. H2O (not accurate cos not able to see ongoing project, based on the cupboard in the showroom)

Based on Design factors

1. LUSH

2. H2O

3. J&E (practically, as of now, we are the one selecting, which quite headache no confusing..)

So, go to J&E if you are sure and really know what you want... you can show them pics for more ideas but.. its difficult also... 

Edited by Reiken

A brief idea of what I will be doing..

Capture.jpg

Not really accurate but you could see what i will be doing... I will not be sleeping in the MBR... and since my wife wanna keep all the doors... even if remove also must put in storeroom... we will be hacking an "opening" between MBR and Bedroom 2.. Also we will be shifting the position of wall, as seen, I covered that hole with carpentry... Will be hacking half wall and use tempered glass... Like breadtalk kitchen concept lo.. (the open yet closed concept).... 

After collection of keys, I engaged Absolute Inspection to inspect the defects of my house... Is it required? honestly I dun think so... since I am doing reno... but becos I am kind of lazy, and also dun really know how to check... and I got tiles from HDB, I decided to spend a bit more to buy assurance...Anyway, some seniors say, use marble or coin knock knock will know... but i really dunno... and maybe lazy...

To my amazement, I did not know there are so many that are considered as defects (which BSC agreed during joint inspection).. OMG... A little read up on Absolute Inspection will know that the boss, used to be a scholar from BCA... so I think he know the limits whether which is defect and which are within the tolerance...  Below are the pics with taggings... like free of charge like that... lucky no hollow tiles... 

20160514_125023.jpg

20160514_125101.jpg

20160514_125119.jpg

20160514_125148.jpg

20160514_125219.jpg

20160514_125255.jpg

Edited by Reiken

wow, seems like  Absolute Inspection  is very thru in their inspection.. how much does it cost to engage them?

10 minutes ago, rxgn said:

wow, seems like  Absolute Inspection  is very thru in their inspection.. how much does it cost to engage them?

Yes.. they are very very thorough... I believe it would be better to contact them to get the quote.. I paid a few hundreds for 3 checks.. first round.. 2nd with bsc... and later today the final round after rectification.. 

Some say abit ex.. but i find it average... treat it as buy an assurance... some parts they dun point out, I wun be able to notice.. example.. one of the rubber between the window is sliced in half.. like wtf..

Different rooms different prices.. end of the day I feel.. at least I feel safer.. like buy assurance.. 

Helloooooo fellow J&E buddy! Hope your journey with them is fruitful! There will be MANY hair pulling decisions to make but its all worth it once you see the progress!

34 minutes ago, lalashir said:

You have nice default HDB toilet tiles! So rare in BTOs :good:

Yea, was shock to see at first as well... was thinking whether to overlay that wall since im overlaying my MBR toilet... my wife say just overlay ba.. since common bathroom got the same wall as well... 

I believe HDB are improving, looking at the trend etc... Newer BTOs will not have kitchen wall, as everyone seems to be hacking that.. you want then they build.. which I think its good..

6 minutes ago, Malaxo said:

Helloooooo fellow J&E buddy! Hope your journey with them is fruitful! There will be MANY hair pulling decisions to make but its all worth it once you see the progress!

Hi Malaxo, saw your reno finishing soon... now is my turn to start only... after such a long while since I got the contact from you...

Yea, my hair start to drop alot already lol.... laminates, paints, tiles (for MBR only so hard to choose)... waiting for first 3D.. hopefully is what i expect it to be...

Hi,

Getting my bto soon.....hopefully. ....1st time new house....after getting absolute to do inspection (saw the note pads)....then what??

Sorry..dont really know the process... highlight to hdb and they repair?? Including tiles?? So many stickers?? Can advise? Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raylowwl said:

Hi,

Getting my bto soon.....hopefully. ....1st time new house....after getting absolute to do inspection (saw the note pads)....then what??

Sorry..dont really know the process... highlight to hdb and they repair?? Including tiles?? So many stickers?? Can advise? Thanks

The process is, open house, check for defects (sure have), report to HDB (BSC / Developer to be exact) regarding the defects by writing the defect list.. they repair within 2 weeks then handover the house to you to check again... meaning after rectification, there should not be any more defect, unless they take out sticker without rectifying...

With absolute inspection, they help you check for first round and fill up the defect list.. 2nd round will go through with BSC the list of defects... 3rd round after rectification, they ensure all defects has been rectified...

Yes, including tiles... yea... i also find so many stickers, but mostly are stains etc... some actually can ignore if you renovating, but some really is beyond repair then they will change... like chiped in windows glass etc...

There will be a delay to my reno again...

Went up see after rectification still got defects a not... and i Saw...

Door not fixed... 

20160602_144339.jpg

ok nvm.... then in the same room... I saw...

20160602_144328.jpg

Eh hello... this was not there before man.... must be caused during rectification... i check every piece of tiles with absolute inspection liao lei... then i argue with BSC for 1 hr... they say since this is "new defect", need another 14 days.... worst.. the person say they knew this tile before the 1st rectification start (but cannot be lei... there wasnt a chipped before..)... also meaning... you know got defect but dun wan rectify till owner say?? haix..

Abit regret take HDB tiles le... 

firstly no scandi feel liao... now... give me problems again... haix... maybe next time i might just put vinyl on top of these tiles... $$$ again....

btw, in the end they told me living room also got another chipped tile (though small)... haix...

20160602_164453.jpg

Emotional day.... 

7 minutes ago, Reiken said:

20160602_144328.jpg

luckily i never take HDB tiles... i can't help but notice the tiles wasn't align straightly. quite shoddy work done by HDB contractor.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, Reiken said:

After collection of keys, I engaged Absolute Inspection to inspect the defects of my house... Is it required? honestly I dun think so... since I am doing reno... but becos I am kind of lazy, and also dun really know how to check... and I got tiles from HDB, I decided to spend a bit more to buy assurance...Anyway, some seniors say, use marble or coin knock knock will know... but i really dunno... and maybe lazy...

To my amazement, I did not know there are so many that are considered as defects (which BSC agreed during joint inspection).. OMG... A little read up on Absolute Inspection will know that the boss, used to be a scholar from BCA... so I think he know the limits whether which is defect and which are within the tolerance...  Below are the pics with taggings... like free of charge like that... lucky no hollow tiles... 

20160514_125023.jpg

20160514_125101.jpg

20160514_125119.jpg

20160514_125148.jpg

20160514_125219.jpg

20160514_125255.jpg

Is it me or this looks like Keat Hong Mirage?