Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have only seen this post now. Not sure if my comments will help but I do have experience with them and Alex. He is quite Creative and can come up with ideas that fits my requirements. But when it comes to costings, execution of project and workmanship, it was a nightmare unfortunately. I would not recommend it.

On 10/15/2016 at 0:42 PM, RenoScar said:

I have only seen this post now. Not sure if my comments will help but I do have experience with them and Alex. He is quite Creative and can come up with ideas that fits my requirements. But when it comes to costings, execution of project and workmanship, it was a nightmare unfortunately. I would not recommend it.

Hi,

I am actually talking to EightyTwo about a potential renovation... did you end up going with them and what made you say that costings/execution and workmanship is an issue? Good to know so that I can see warning signs

Hi,

I liked the design proposal and that was the reason I went with them. 

A few issues then followed:

a) initial quotation was not detailed enough to cover all required items/fixings. A series of Variation Order (VO) followed. Initial quotation was 60k. After a series of VO, final cost was nearly 90k.

b) almost every activity outlined in the schedule was delayed. Completion time was supposed to be 6-8 weeks. After a lot of follow up on our part, the project finally completed on week 11.

c) initial painting was horrible. Need to keep insisting on reprinting before better painter did a better job.

d) need to check quality of work on every single thing n make them redo until satisfactory. I missed a row of switches n so now I have to live with a row of slanted switches. It's not straight at all. It's the first thing my guests noticed. Throughout the project, the company was supposed to be the project manager and give us a peace of mind. Our experience? A nightmare. We had to follow up closely as if we were the project managers.

e) I recently discovered nuts n bolts in my toilet rusted. This is less than a year. They refused to take responsibility of it and accused vendor for not delivering the correct parts. We contacted vendor and they claimed they delivered whatever that comes in the box from principal company. Upon contacted, principal company claim not responsible as they always deliver correct parts. So the promise of a year warranty for workmanship? Not delivered.

Costing, project execution and workmanship have seriously huge room for improvements.

When we compared notes with friends who had home renovations, there are great differences between good design companies and bad ones. Wishing you luck if you decided to go with them as from our experience, you will need plenty. Hope yours is a better experience than ours.

@RenoScar

This is really helpful.

I havent signed with them yet - we went thru some costings and similar to you, I really like their design process (really great ideas + understand purpose/function of spaces as input to design)

However, when going thru the initial quote, there were a few things we were uncomfortable with:

- not alot of details included (electricity/plumbing): Understand this is hard to quote but these things really add up. It would have been helpful if an estimated % cld be provided but.. this leads to my 2nd point;

- its ok to not share the design etc... but we cldnt take a copy of the quote back, making it hard to estimate overall budget to put aside. I had to ask/negotiate for them to send a high level budget of cost categories. EG: Tiling - $XXXX, Hacking - $XXXX. 

- no transparency on what "project management" entails. Both me and my partner seriously have no time to micromanage on weekdays as we typically work late + have to travel for work. I need someone to help properly project manage with QC, scheduling, pro-actively pre-empt if a decision needs to be made. During our conversations, it was very heavily skewed on design... but details + project management experience.. we didnt get a sense of that.

We are leaning towards exploring the option of getting someone to do the design/visualisation for us.. and getting a good master contractor(who is good at project management) to execute the design.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I can empathise that it was a nightmare. Hope that you are getting things fixed to your satisfaction....